New , Old guy | GTAMotorcycle.com

New , Old guy

Wheelie

Hi All, new to the forum, lurked for the past few months. I'm middle aged, rode from 18 to about 34. My wife and I rode together for about 10 years before having kids and letting life get in the way. The bikes were stored knowing it would only be a matter of when we'd be back on the road. I have been drawn back in by my son who has been interested in riding for years and finally got his license and purchased a small enduro CRF250L. So I pulled the bikes ('85 Yamaha Maxim X & '00 V Max) of their long storage and went through them completely. New tires, fork seals, batteries, brakes, brake lines, carb rebuilds, bearing services, spark plugs etc.......Now we've been enjoying ourselves riding at every opportunity, wife included! Incredibly both bikes have come out of storage and have been 100% reliable. My son sold his CRF and bought a Kawasaki Z900rs which is an amazing bike. Has no issue keeping up like the CRF did. Makes me wonder if something new would make the whole experience even better?. I can't argue about abs and the riding modes for safety. The fuel injection system with catalytic converter that eliminates the burned fuel odour, he never smells like he's been riding- I can't say so for myself. Gas gauge with distance until empty instead of idiot light, , slipper clutch, 17" rims with radial tires, radial brakes, etc.. I love the old bikes we have but how can you deny all this new technology?? The Triumph Speed Twin has been on my mind for the past few months. Once the pandemic is under control and the winter bike shows return there will be plenty of bikes to check out and see. Anyway I'm happy to be part of a great group, hope to meet some of you and enjoy some epic rides!

Last edited:
welcome back, the speed twin is a nice bike

Welcome!
Always loved the VMax

Looks like the 2022 Supershow is a go.
Get to see a few of the new models there.

Also nice to see someone with some wrenchin' knowledge.
Trust me, I WILL ask for help.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Thanks for the welcomes! Ask away! I'd like to help anyone who's willing to work on their bike. To me it's part of the whole motorcycling experience. Not necessarily repairing them all the time but I enjoy doing my own service and maintenance.

Hello Wheelie,

Glad to hear the older bikes are working good. I'm a big fan, however there is little love on this site for older stuff. Most think them unreliable but as the member bitzz will tell you, and I agree that's on you not the bike.
Doing any big rides? With your Squeeze riding her own bike luggage space can not be an issue.

We're planning on a cottage country ride. From the Simcoe county area through to Ottawa and also up north to Sudbury and beyond. We're just not sure when. Lockdown has made having lunch awkward. Eating pizza or having a coffee in a parking lot standing beside your bike doesn't make for a good rest stop. Lol. I bought he Vmax new and the MaximX in 89. To me they're easy enough to troubleshoot and repair, much more than needing a reader or dealer to tell you what sensor is getting a wrong reading. But if we're talking newish bikes like less than 5 or so years old I doubt they have problems. But like they say- you don't know what you don't know. I'd probably love a new bike with all the new tech so much that I would sell off the old stuff in a heartbeat!

Welcome, and I always LOVED the looks and the sound of the Vmax. Almost pulled the trigger on one in the 90s.

Back
Top Bottom