New Newbie here. | GTAMotorcycle.com

New Newbie here.

Kainan

Hello!

Decided a few weeks ago that I was going to get my M1, both because my car is barely functional and would cost more than I can afford to repair, and because gas prices have gone parabolic.

Shortly thereafter found out that getting insurance on a 300-500 cc bike with an m1 license can be quite costly.

So really my objective now is to figure out how to make getting started with motorcycles an economical and enjoyable method of transportation.

Some basic info about me:
30~ years old,
Insured without claims/accidents for 13 years (although not sure if that matters for motorcycles.)

I currently spend around 200$ a week on gas. All driving on mainly country roads and some city ones with a speed limit of 80kmh or lower.

I was hoping that the 125cc Honda grom might be a good choice, or heck maybe even the 109cc Honda Navi.

I did see something online that said insurance for bikes under 100cc was something like 4x cheaper for people with the M1 license. Then quickly realized that the only bikes that can go 80-120kmh 90cc-100cc are in foreign countries and aren't sold in Canada.

I don't really want a 50cc scooter as I don't think that would be safe to ride on a 80kmh road as they typically can't reach 80kmh.

Anyone have any advice for the most affordable option that I can safely ride, for minimal insurance costs on 80kmh roads?

(I fully intend to get the M2 60 days after the M1, but I still need something to get my 60 days riding Experience with while I have the m1.).

CBR125 makes 12 hp compared to the 8 in the grom. Probably same insurance cost with 50% more power. What is your budget? People may give you some ideas. Market right now is crazy. Used bikes are expensive and new bikes are unobtainium.

Sign up for your M1 exit course asap. @Evoex and a few others are instructors. The course is valuable to teach skills and safety and it opens up many insurance options as many companies won't touch an M1 rider (which makes it hard to get experience).

Ride safe, good luck. Getting a motorcycle to save money in ontario is not likely to be a winner.

GG is correct. Most insurers want that certificate of completion of M1 exit. I’d budget to take the course.

Grom costs me less than 40/month to insure and it can do the highway…but it’s not a great experience.

I don't think a motorcycle is any less expensive than a car... yeah, fuel efficiency is one thing but when you factor in other costs it adds up eg. gear, insurance, and cost of maintenance (unless you can diy). Also, has to be stored during the winter months.

cbr125 and kawi z125 are two options you can look at. For commuting, I'd suggest a cbr250 or Ninja 250 if you can find one. All the best!

So really my objective now is to figure out how to make getting started with motorcycles an economical and enjoyable method of transportation.

(I fully intend to get the M2 60 days after the M1, but I still need something to get my 60 days riding Experience with while I have the m1.).
I think unfortunately you'll just have to bite the bullet on higher than expected insurance costs for your first (few) years of riding.

It's also very tough to get much insured with just an M1. I just waited until my M2 to get my bike + insurance.

It seems odd that there is a 60 day period to gain Riding experience before you're able to get the M2 test. When essentially no insurers will provide insurance to an M1 Rider.

It feels like an intentional, unnecessary block/waiting period.

How is one supposed to legally gain experience riding on a bike they own during that 60 day period? It feels unethical if I just get the m1, wait 60 days then do the m1 exit course/get the M2.

How am I going to be any more knowledgeable than if I had just done the m1 exit the same day I got my m1?

Does the 60 days of not riding being uninsured have an effect that provides motorcycle skills I am unaware of..?

Perhaps the expectation is that one rides the bike in their dreams, thus gaining experience that way. Lol.

It seems odd that there is a 60 day period to gain Riding experience before you're able to get the M2 test. When essentially no insurers will provide insurance to an M1 Rider.

How is one supposed to legally gain experience riding on a bike they own during that 60 day period? It feels unethical if I just get the m1, wait 60 days then do the m1 exit course/get the M2.

How am I going to be any more knowledgeable than if I had just done the m1 exit the same day I got my m1?

Does the 60 days of not riding being uninsured have an effect that provides motorcycle skills I am unaware of..?

Perhaps the expectation is that one rides the bike in their dreams, thus gaining experience that way. Lol.
Take the course asap. You don't need to wait 60 days to do it. You just file paperwork to upgrade your license after the 60 days are up. With the pass in hand, call insurance companies and many should give you (expensive) insurance that you can use for the remainder of M1 and into M2.

Multi faceted issue.

1) what level of risk do true noobies have riding on the street? A ton. No insurer wants that, it’s beyond a losing business model.
2) the waiting period (legislation) has not kept up to the realities of the hobby. Since almost every insurer is declining to insure m1 riders sans course completion, it should be re written.
3) no one said you have a right to affordable m1 insurance to gain said skills

Multi faceted issue.

1) what level of risk do true noobies have riding on the street? A ton. No insurer wants that, it’s beyond a losing business model.
2) the waiting period (legislation) has not kept up to the realities of the hobby. Since almost every insurer is declining to insure m1 riders sans course completion, it should be re written.
3) no one said you have a right to affordable m1 insurance to gain said skills

Should probably be rewritten to include some form of regulated and mandatory rider training...

Speaking of which, are there any options in Ontario for rider training which have availability? The few I have checked are fully booked for quite some time :( booked through July or even to September in many cases.

Should probably be rewritten to include some form of regulated and mandatory rider training...

Speaking of which, are there any options in Ontario for rider training which have availability? The few I have checked are fully booked for quite some time :( booked through July or even to September in many cases.

PM me

You're dealing with government. Leave ethics out of it.

how about a E bike? I don't think you need insurance. Or how about a scooter? But, anything under 250cc I wouldn't go on the highway.

GG is correct. Most insurers want that certificate of completion of M1 exit. I’d budget to take the course.

Grom costs me less than 40/month to insure and it can do the highway…but it’s not a great experience.
Wow. I pay $22/mo for a 125 cc Enduro. I can do 110kmh on a flat run.

The way the whole M1 situation works now with insurance is that they basically make taking the M2 training course a requirement. That way you get the necessary skills, training, and familiarity with a few different bikes. It's not a bad thing, and it should be re-written to include it so new riders arent instantly hit with this brick wall. It seems the only real people exempt from this, as usual....are the rich.

When I got my M1 some 15 years ago I easily insured an R6 as a first bike for $65 a month. Gone are those days lol.

Back
Top Bottom