New Mt 09 | GTAMotorcycle.com

New Mt 09

bigpoppa

Bigger engine, up/down quickshifter, IMU and modern electronics, new frame+swingarm and suspension

"I say the engine is the big news, but only because it’s always been such a gem. The MT-09/FZ-09 chassis has always been the question mark for many riders, and it seems like the tuning-fork brand is trying to heed the call — a new frame and swingarm are paired with an updated KYB fork and shock. Crucially, Yamaha says the lateral rigidity of the frame has been increased by 50 percent."

Apparently the 2021 model will have fixed the weak suspension

All good news, but they totally ****** up the looks, CANNOT stand the front

Bigger engine, up/down quickshifter, IMU and modern electronics, new frame+swingarm and suspension

"I say the engine is the big news, but only because it’s always been such a gem. The MT-09/FZ-09 chassis has always been the question mark for many riders, and it seems like the tuning-fork brand is trying to heed the call — a new frame and swingarm are paired with an updated KYB fork and shock. Crucially, Yamaha says the lateral rigidity of the frame has been increased by 50 percent."

Apparently the 2021 model will have fixed the weak suspension

All good news, but they totally ****** up the looks, CANNOT stand the front

Isn't the suspension basically the same?

And yeah they uglified it a bit

Isn't the suspension basically the same?

And yeah they uglified it a bit

jury is still out, wont know until a proper review if its actually a decent suspension or not

I wish we got the SP version over here with all the Ohlins stuff.
Yeah, I think there is objectively a market for it with what people are spending to fix the stock suspension

Those of us on the FJ-09/Tracer forums are anxiously awaiting to see what this means for that bike (which is a derivative of the MT-09 platform).
So far, all we've seen are some "leaked" spy photos...most don't like the look of the new Tracer either.

One of the biggest flaws with the bike is the gas tank. Looks huge, but has a small capacity.

for an extra $400 sounds like a good deal to me

updated KYB suspension is rather vague
but that's what the bike needed more than anything else
hopefully the front dive is gone and there are useful preload and damping adjustments
for riders over 150 lbs

throttle cable gone and softer clutch operation are nice updates
both were heavy on effort

don't see why the engine needed more cc
torque and HP were plenty strong
must be a tuning/usable power thing

the electronic goodies sound nice too
again, good update for only 400 bucks

for an extra $400 sounds like a good deal to me

updated KYB suspension is rather vague
but that's what the bike needed more than anything else
hopefully the front dive is gone and there are useful preload and damping adjustments
for riders over 150 lbs

throttle cable gone and softer clutch operation are nice updates
both were heavy on effort

don't see why the engine needed more cc
torque and HP were plenty strong
must be a tuning/usable power thing

the electronic goodies sound nice too
again, good update for only 400 bucks
Probably euro 5 emissions compliant. Most OEM are increasing the engine size to compensate for the new restrictions.

This ^^^^^

Sent from my iPad using GTAMotorcycle.com

From the side it looks amazing. All the improvements are amazing. But that thing has a butterface.

yeah, if I were to buy another one, Id go for the xsr900

new Mt 09 SP is finally out in canada, looks like ohlins and high spec forks, along with a bunch of other stuff, price tag went up as well to 14k,
if it came with all that as standard/included with the SP, and didnt require you to pay extra like the euro bikes do, this might be the new king of sport-nakeds:

Last edited:

14 K + tax for 890cc...I wonder if insurance would treat this and the MT10 similarly when it comes to premiums...

331b01c5-b73e-4d7d-9d6b-95a1a5b096c4

That’s a lot of scratch for the SP model, but I do like it.

at that price point, id just get the tracer GT

Back
Top Bottom