New Honda CB1100 coming ? | GTAMotorcycle.com

New Honda CB1100 coming ?

"The bike should have a different feel compared to the outgoing CB which has a four-cylinder" I can tell Earl Davidson knows a motorcycle when they see one.

But yeah, it does make sense for them to use that monster p-twin in other models. The real question is, can they make it cool?

Oh boy..another honda with no horsepower I'm sure....I hate to bash em because I own 4 of them ( older ones with hp) but it seems that they don't care about performance lately...just another notch in the belt me thinks.

The way of the future here seems to be to leverage an existing engine across a number of different platforms. Yamaha does this well with the 700 and 900 and Honda is now doing this across a range of bike styles with the AT, the NT, the Rebel and now the Hawk. Huge cost savings in engine development, production costs, inventory etc....... All moot points though if the bikes don't sell. You might end up with a generic bike that appeals to no one.

The way of the future here seems to be to leverage an existing engine across a number of different platforms. Yamaha does this well with the 700 and 900 and Honda is now doing this across a range of bike styles with the AT, the NT, the Rebel and now the Hawk. Huge cost savings in engine development, production costs, inventory etc....... All moot points though if the bikes don't sell. You might end up with a generic bike that appeals to no one.
I agree about one motor many bikes. The key is to have motors that are fun and flexible. A boring motor results in lots of boring bikes. I haven't ridden the honda motor in question but it is a little over 100 hp. That's not bad imo. More power in a street bike isn't all that helpful as it doesn't really come into play until speeds are way above street legal.

The way of the future here seems to be to leverage an existing engine across a number of different platforms.
Apparently this is as much a product of emissions regulations as anything else. With Euro V, it gets extremely expensive to develop and certify a motor, so making multiple models has become a necessity. There's an interesting interview with Cristian Barelli from Aprilia on a recent episode of the Brap Talk podcast, and he explains how the RS660, Tuono 660 and Tuareg 660 were all developed concurrently with each model being factored into the design right from the very start. He also speaks to how how the parallel twin layout was selected as it provided the most flexibility across the different styles of bike, both for parts reduction and compact layout...

The real question is, can they make it cool?
A Honda cool? methinks you jest. My last "cool" Honda was a 305 Superhawk circa 1967
013e84aea597834d36eaab207d5c82bf.jpg

and I've owned quite a few in between.
Reliable yes, exciting no so much, cool ? nevah.
The CBF1000 came closest.
Screen Shot 2021-12-07 at Dec, 7    2021    2.53.02 PM.jpg
I do think the CB1100 might do okay tho as a retro
2023-honda-cb1100-gb1100.jpg

Very much reminds me of the muscular look of the Honda CB450 which in it's time was a lot of bike
1974_honda_cb450-k4_super_sport_1603339350dbfdacc551d4DSC_0138-copy.jpg

I agree about one motor many bikes. The key is to have motors that are fun and flexible. A boring motor results in lots of boring bikes.
never truer words than with the Honda 7xx series. This D'eauville I owned was truly boring tho I made a good buck flipping it.
1__#$!@%!#__1__#$!@%!#__1__#$!@%!#__Pasted Graphic.tiff
Honda has done well with CB500 series tho. Cool no, exciting no, but very very flexible, light and fun and they sell gazillions.
1__#$!@%!#__Pasted Graphic.tiff
Yes I have thing about red Honda's. My first new bike in 50 years of riding and took it cross country in 2019..glad I did not wait. :coffee:

Last edited:
I mean, I'm literally riding around on a red 919 right now. I meant can they specifically make a 1100 parallel twin standard cool? There is definitely a boring way to put that kind of bike together

I mean, I'm literally riding around on a red 919 right now. I meant can they specifically make a 1100 parallel twin standard cool? There is definitely a boring way to put that kind of bike together
by all accounts the africa twin sounds and goes pretty good so...

I guess you could put risers on a Thruxton R.

If I was going to buy a cruiser (which I'm not) my only choice would be the 1100 Rebel. It's a Sportster for the 21st century.
id be looking at ABH(anything but harley)
maybe a guzzi, or a honda, or indian

Harleys are as common as honda civics

• Haha
Reactions: TK4
id be looking at ABH(anything but harley)
maybe a guzzi, or a honda, or indian

Harleys are as common as honda civics
Ya but, how much swag can be had for the civic people?

Back
Top Bottom