New guy from Mississauga! | GTAMotorcycle.com

New guy from Mississauga!

otwo_91

Hey everyone!

I recently have been considering getting into a new hobby and had considered buying a Jetski or a motorcycle; After doing some thinking, I decided to go with a motorcycle. I feel it is cheaper, probably much more fun and I get more bang for my buck because its easier to just hop on and ride.

I just did my M1 a few days ago. I have my safety course Mid-April and really looking forward to it!

I have been looking at different beginner motorcycles and basically brought my list down to the following ones that I am looking into buying:

Kawasaki 2021 Ninja 400 ABS
Kawasaki 2021 Ninja Z400 ABS

Yamaha MT03
Yamaha YZF R3

GSX250R

This would be a motorcycle for me to learn and on the cheaper end to buy brand new. The only thing I would need it to do is sustain speeds of 100-130 km/h comfortably on the highway. I don't know much about "CC's" and how they translate into the riding experience, but do you guys think any of those bikes would be inappropriate for commutes on a highway?

Thanks everyone

Cheaper? I’d say you made a mistake there...

Either way, welcome aboard.
Any of those bikes can handle the highway, the sport bike versions would be more comfortable for highway commuting due to having more plastic to shield you and actual windscreens.

r3
Ninja 400
Gsx250r (it’s a heavy pig, I’d skip it)

Hi, welcome! It gets pretty expensive like Evoex mentioned. I wish I could convince myself to not ride a motorcycle...

Honda and KTM also have sub 500 cc bikes if you want options. I'm glad you're considering the right options :)

Ride safe!

Welcome, all great bikes...the Suzuki is uhhh, a nice looking bike. But the Yamahas or Kawasakis are definitely better imo. Maybe take a look at the Honda 500 models, those are great starter bikes you won't tire of as quickly as the smaller bikes and not much more on insurance.

Whatever you choose, ride safe and wear your gear!

My previous cbr 250 did 120 km/hr easy. So worries there. I would personally choose ninja 400 or R3. Also I think the priority should be
1st insurance, 2nd gear and 3rd the bike.
Buying proper gear is key in staying safe. It has to be comfortable and fit you body as well as protect you. Buying the best race boot with the highest protection is useless if you don't wear them.
You are going down the rabbit hole but it's hell of a ride!

Since you didn't mention price, I'll just assume money isn't a huge factor between the choices you provided. I'd say you have them in the right order.

Either of the Kawasaki's (whatever styling you prefer)

Then the Yamaha's. Same thing.

All the other manufacturers' 300-400cc options out there.

Then the Suzuki, last place.

Hey I started on a ninja 300 abs I think you'd appreciate the extra 100 ccs as you'll outgrow the bike fairly quickly no matter which one you choose.

I'd go with the 400 abs but they really aren't much different its all about what style you like.

So I found a 2011 Honda CBR125R. I checked it out today and it looked flawless to me. I really dont know why, but something is attracting me to it. I keep browsing adds everywhere but I keep going back to that one.

It has very little km's and is flawless otherwise. I checked the VIN and UVIP and everything sorta checks out.

The only problem is that everyone I know is telling me to stock to 300CC + at minimum. So im conflicted.

I know this will be good for me because its cheaper on insurance, specially for the first season or two of riding. And I wont care as much should I drop it, keep stalling it while im learning, etc. Ill also pass it on to my GF who will want to learn riding in the future.

Has any of you had a 125CC, is it really going to be something I regret? My primary purpose for it now is to learn, after is to simply cruise in the city when there is no traffic and enjoy being on 2 wheels. My next bike would be the one that would get me introduced to more acceleration and power, etc!

Hey everyone!

I recently have been considering getting into a new hobby and had considered buying a Jetski or a motorcycle; After doing some thinking, I decided to go with a motorcycle. I feel it is cheaper, probably much more fun and I get more bang for my buck because its easier to just hop on and ride.

I just did my M1 a few days ago. I have my safety course Mid-April and really looking forward to it!

I have been looking at different beginner motorcycles and basically brought my list down to the following ones that I am looking into buying:

Kawasaki 2021 Ninja 400 ABS
Kawasaki 2021 Ninja Z400 ABS

Yamaha MT03
Yamaha YZF R3

GSX250R

This would be a motorcycle for me to learn and on the cheaper end to buy brand new. The only thing I would need it to do is sustain speeds of 100-130 km/h comfortably on the highway. I don't know much about "CC's" and how they translate into the riding experience, but do you guys think any of those bikes would be inappropriate for commutes on a highway?

Thanks everyone
All of those are reasonable entry level street bikes.
I would love to own a 2011 CBR125 myself. Orange and silver :cool:

All of those are reasonable entry level street bikes.
I would love to own a 2011 CBR125 myself. Orange and silver :cool:
I know right.

The one I saw today is cosmetically flawless. I may have looked like an idiot sticking my head everywhere, couldn't find a scratch!

the 125 is a fine bike, I think @Brian P has one

Depends on what your planned uses are, for around town/city/back roads it should be a good first bike, with reasonable insurance, however for any extended (400 series)highway use, it is likely insufficient, which is why people recommend the 300s

If the bike really speaks to you though, go for it

So I found a 2011 Honda CBR125R. I checked it out today and it looked flawless to me. I really dont know why, but something is attracting me to it. I keep browsing adds everywhere but I keep going back to that one.

It has very little km's and is flawless otherwise. I checked the VIN and UVIP and everything sorta checks out.

The only problem is that everyone I know is telling me to stock to 300CC + at minimum. So im conflicted.

I know this will be good for me because its cheaper on insurance, specially for the first season or two of riding. And I wont care as much should I drop it, keep stalling it while im learning, etc. Ill also pass it on to my GF who will want to learn riding in the future.

Has any of you had a 125CC, is it really going to be something I regret? My primary purpose for it now is to learn, after is to simply cruise in the city when there is no traffic and enjoy being on 2 wheels. My next bike would be the one that would get me introduced to more acceleration and power, etc!

If you keep turning back to that one, go for it! For the intended purpose you mention, it fits..

My 2011 orange and silver cbr125 has 64,000 km on it. Granted, I had the engine apart at 37,000 km, because i managed to break it ... 90% of that is at wide open throttle. I ride the little bike more than the big ones.

That generation of cbr125 is a way better bike than the earlier models. You can get decent tires for them. The chassis geometry is better (longer wheelbase, and the more appropriate tire and wheel sizes make them more stable). The seat is more comfortable. The mirrors are better. They move along a little better ... I suspect the aerodynamics are better, because the engine is the same. Rolling down the road is like any other bike, there's just no power.

You will figure out gear shifting, because if you are in the wrong gear, you are not going anywhere.

It is not the bike for getting on the highway and riding across the country ... but I don't ride like that anyhow.

I know right.

The one I saw today is cosmetically flawless. I may have looked like an idiot sticking my head everywhere, couldn't find a scratch!
If it is a reasonable price I hope you bought it already.

I had one of those. They're fun up to about 80 km/h around town and on back roads. But in my opinion, they're too dangerous for a new rider to learn how to merge onto the highway, especially those without any driving experience. To reach 100km/h or more merging speed, you pretty much have to be accelerating through the entire onramp, which could be stressful. Then if you don't time it properly and end up with a car next to you, you can't speed up, and when you slow down it takes forever to regain your speed, so there's a lot of timing involved. Finally, although it can easily maintain 100km/h, if you want to keep up with people doing 120, you'll be tucking behind the windshield with your chin to the tank.

If you like the 125, the 250 of the same year looks identical and is the minimum I would ever recommend for highway use.

Riding motorcycles on a major highway imho is pfffffff boring unless you are on a highway bike
and omg so dangerous it's ridiculous, who wants to ride on them anyway unless your thing is to go real fast,
plus high speed highway riding is highly illegal and non-conducive to your license and insurance costs.

We haven't even asked how much you weigh yet otwo
I'm a lightweight rider so I can really make a CBR125 move right along at a spirited pace ymmv.

Tell you where it will be great for is buzzing around in the GTA.
... you can alter the final drive gearing with a sprocket change fairly economically.

I'm a lightweight rider so I can really make a CBR125 move right along at a spirited pace ymmv.

I weigh 167 pounds.

And yeah I figured just cruising around in the city. I have family in Hamilton so if I ever wana visit them my ride would be W/B on Dundas St all the way through. Some parts of that ride would be very scenic, I really look foreword to it.

I see those guys doing 160+ on the highways with no plates lol. That's not for me haha.

Riding motorcycles on a major highway imho is pfffffff boring unless you are on a highway bike
and omg so dangerous it's ridiculous, who wants to ride on them anyway unless your thing is to go real fast,
plus high speed highway riding is highly illegal and non-conducive to your license and insurance costs.

... you can alter the final drive gearing with a sprocket change fairly economically.
Some people have to commute. I was riding the 125 to work from Port Credit to Scarborough - QEW/Gardiner to DVP to Eglinton - during the Pan Am Games when we had the HOV lane. I saved a lot of time and gas, and it was reasonably fun to be on two wheels again - I had stopped riding my 998 to work in stop and go traffic because it was such a pain to modulate the clutch on top of the ass up / heads down riding position.

Back
Top Bottom