New fortine video | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

New fortine video

Effin' Ryan F9 landed himself a dream job.

Here.. play with all these cool moto things and make videos.

Oh... and can you move from freezing cold Montreal to Vancouver where you can play with these cool moto things pretty much year 'round too...?

Effin' Ryan F9 landed himself a dream job.

Here.. play with all these cool moto things and make videos.

Oh... and can you move from freezing cold Montreal to Vancouver where you can play with these cool moto things pretty much year 'round too...?

hope they pay him well, the channel is probably the source of all their business

While the video does a good job explaining some minor advances in motorcycle technology, he stops short of explaining why Indian can get 100 hp and 72 lb.ft out of 1138 cc, but a 660 cc parallel twin from Aprilia can almost match those figures, and slightly bigger (but much older) motors in touring bikes like the FJR are 50% higher. My Tuono has slightly less displacement and makes 75% more hp and 23% more torque. A Super Duke R makes 77% more power and 43% more torque out of a slightly bigger motor. Both are about 31% lighter, too.

In other words, it doesn't matter. A torquey 60 hp is enough for most cruiser riders, and will offer acceleration that feels fast enough to be fun (and is faster than all but the sportiest of cars). Nobody is buying a Sportster to win races, they're buying the look and the feel and the emotion. Honestly, it's why most of us buy bikes. Sportbikes with chicken strips, ADV luxo-barges that never leave paved roads, accessorized cafe racers with matching vintage-look goggles, all are driven by emotion rather than cold stats and practicality. On a recent Brap Talk podcast, Jensen Beeler nailed it when he said the motorcycle market (especially in North America) has more in common with the fashion business than the automotive world.

How a bike makes you feel when you look at it and when you ride it is what matters. And part of the riding experience is also what we think others think when they see us, whether we want to admit it or not, hence fashion. That drives so much of what people buy. To generalise: Sportbike riders want to project a hyper-skilled pilot image (whether that's popping dank whoolies or carving corners), unafraid of speed, injury or death. ADV riders want that grand explorer vibe, finding uncharted vistas through any terrain. Cafe racers are chasing a self-sufficient craftsman deal, getting back to basics and savouring the authentic, eschewing the modern mass-market lifestyle. Cruisers are looking for an image of toughness, a bit wild, anti-conformist and not worried about ruffling a few feathers. These are broad brushes, of course, but they do cover a lot of us.

And based on the above, most folks cross shopping a Sportster and a Scout won't be looking at the spec sheet. They'll be looking at whether the bike fits the image they want to project. Want something tried and true, old-school and classic? Sportster. Want something different, a bit modern, forward thinking without being boring? Scout. If horsepower enters into it for a potential Scout buyer, it'll be to justify the emotional desire for that bike, not because they actually need a faster bike. Otherwise they'd be looking at a VFR800 or some other hyper-practical ride (which is also an image some like to project!)

While the video does a good job explaining some minor advances in motorcycle technology, he stops short of explaining why Indian can get 100 hp and 72 lb.ft out of 1138 cc, but a 660 cc parallel twin from Aprilia can almost match those figures, and slightly bigger (but much older) motors in touring bikes like the FJR are 50% higher. My Tuono has slightly less displacement and makes 75% more hp and 23% more torque. A Super Duke R makes 77% more power and 43% more torque out of a slightly bigger motor. Both are about 31% lighter, too.

In other words, it doesn't matter. A torquey 60 hp is enough for most cruiser riders, and will offer acceleration that feels fast enough to be fun (and is faster than all but the sportiest of cars). Nobody is buying a Sportster to win races, they're buying the look and the feel and the emotion. Honestly, it's why most of us buy bikes. Sportbikes with chicken strips, ADV luxo-barges that never leave paved roads, accessorized cafe racers with matching vintage-look goggles, all are driven by emotion rather than cold stats and practicality. On a recent Brap Talk podcast, Jensen Beeler nailed it when he said the motorcycle market (especially in North America) has more in common with the fashion business than the automotive world.

How a bike makes you feel when you look at it and when you ride it is what matters. And part of the riding experience is also what we think others think when they see us, whether we want to admit it or not, hence fashion. That drives so much of what people buy. To generalise: Sportbike riders want to project a hyper-skilled pilot image (whether that's popping dank whoolies or carving corners), unafraid of speed, injury or death. ADV riders want that grand explorer vibe, finding uncharted vistas through any terrain. Cafe racers are chasing a self-sufficient craftsman deal, getting back to basics and savouring the authentic, eschewing the modern mass-market lifestyle. Cruisers are looking for an image of toughness, a bit wild, anti-conformist and not worried about ruffling a few feathers. These are broad brushes, of course, but they do cover a lot of us.

And based on the above, most folks cross shopping a Sportster and a Scout won't be looking at the spec sheet. They'll be looking at whether the bike fits the image they want to project. Want something tried and true, old-school and classic? Sportster. Want something different, a bit modern, forward thinking without being boring? Scout. If horsepower enters into it for a potential Scout buyer, it'll be to justify the emotional desire for that bike, not because they actually need a faster bike. Otherwise they'd be looking at a VFR800 or some other hyper-practical ride (which is also an image some like to project!)
All true, but doesn't make it okay in my books.

If they want to dig their heels in just because, then they can pull the money out of the next persons wallet. I just blew 30 grand and believe it or not i was 1 phone call away from going in the bagger direction. Want to guess which brand wasnt even on my list?

All true, but doesn't make it okay in my books. If they want to dig their heels in just because, then they can pull the money out of the next persons wallet. I just blew 30 grand and believe it or not i was 1 phone call away from going in the bagger direction. Want to guess which brand wasnt even on my list?

what did you get thirty grand?

Good choice

very reliable bikes for the most part

i was looking at the triumph tiger adventure bikes
Started with adventure bikes (goal was cross country trips).

Realized I had no real interest in dirt...or throwing a 25k bike down one. Had even less interest trying to spend a few hrs lifting one out of the mud.

Switched over to sport touring and a few bagger cruisers.

Decided on the 2020 BMW S1000XR after I saw it was new for this year. BMW calls it Adventure Sports /shrug

All true, but doesn't make it okay in my books.

If they want to dig their heels in just because, then they can pull the money out of the next persons wallet. I just blew 30 grand and believe it or not i was 1 phone call away from going in the bagger direction. Want to guess which brand wasnt even on my list?

Hey, don't get me wrong. HD has never been even close to my shopping list either, but neither has Indian, really. If you held a gun to my head, I'd probably take the Indian, as the only Harley that ever held any appeal for me was the XR1200, mostly because I have fond memories of watching Steve Crevier (and a bunch of other Canucks) wrestle one around Indy as a filler class during a MotoGP round.

That said, I don't think they're greedier than any other manufacturer, they're just trapped in a nostalgia prison of their own devising. Their financials are increasingly worrying, and all those predictions of an aging consumer base are finally coming true. They went bananas last year with trying everything they could think of to diversify, then ditched that CEO and have cut way back on the experimentation. It'll be interesting to see how (or if) they navigate the transition away from Boomers on pushrods...

Started with adventure bikes (goal was cross country trips).

Realized I had no real interest in dirt...or throwing a 25k bike down one. Had even less interest trying to spend a few hrs lifting one out of the mud.

Switched over to sport touring and a few bagger cruisers.

Decided on the 2020 BMW S1000XR after I saw it was new for this year. BMW calls it Adventure Sports /shrug
Here's a Harley with decent hp. Seems much slower than the numbers would indicate (165hp, 155tq). I wonder if it needs to rev way above factory redline to get the numbers and the guy was shifting it like a stock bike.

Ugly as sin though.

Back
Top Bottom