New ducati monster | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

New ducati monster

Sure, but the point is Ducati only uses them as a party trick. It's not for performance. You end up with a heavier swingarm (unsprung weight, too) just so the bike looks marginally better on one side. They seem to be for lots, but not for me...
And my point was you were comparing a race bike (where they spend mega bucks to squeeze seconds out of bikes) to a street bike where it's meant to be gawked at. Single sided swingarm while certainly subjective, makes the bike 'pop' when lined up against other bikes with a traditional setup.

Food for thought: 200hp engines may certainly be performance oriented but realistically how much are we tapping riding around the city? Practicality and logic are way out the window from the jump. Now we see the resurgence of 'track only' models. Logically it should be the other way around; mass market 50hp commuters and sell the 200hp dream bikes small market.

And my point was you were comparing a race bike (where they spend mega bucks to squeeze seconds out of bikes) to a street bike where it's meant to be gawked at. Single sided swingarm while certainly subjective, makes the bike 'pop' when lined up against other bikes with a traditional setup.

Food for thought: 200hp engines may certainly be performance oriented but realistically how much are we tapping riding around the city? Practicality and logic are way out the window from the jump. Now we see the resurgence of 'track only' models. Logically it should be the other way around; mass market 50hp commuters and sell the 200hp dream bikes small market.
Says the guy with a >160 hp street bike.

I know I'm in the minority here, as I'm not a big fan of single sided swingarms. To me, you trade one side looking better for the other looking worse, and there's a small performance trade-off. There's a reason the Ducati GP bikes don't have them.

Then again, I think the RC30 is the prettiest bike ever made, so I'm a ball of contradictions...

Single-sided swingarms make for fast and easy wheel changes off- or on-track (I think they were originally designed for endurance racing). No need to mess with those pesky adjusters to reset chain slack or alignment. And if by making one side look worse, you mean the exposed sprocket, I personally love it. The stock sprocket isn't the best looking, but that's easily fixed with aftermarket options:

1607154714484.png

ducati forums became so whiny overnight, its like bologna stole christmas or something

That happens when you turn a Italian work of art into a german appliance. The new appliances may be technically better but I think may kill Ducati. Hopefully not but there is nothing these new bikes have that sets them apart or makes them desired. This applies to the mts and monster for me.

Sent from my moto g(8) plus using Tapatalk

I’ve always loved Ducati but I’m not a purist I guess. The idea of less maintenance and better performance is a good thing. They can work on the art aspect going forward now.

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

I’ve always loved Ducati but I’m not a purist I guess. The idea of less maintenance and better performance is a good thing. They can work on the art aspect going forward now.

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

20 kilos lighter and more power, maybe wont look as pretty but damn!

That happens when you turn a Italian work of art into a german appliance. The new appliances may be technically better but I think may kill Ducati. Hopefully not but there is nothing these new bikes have that sets them apart or makes them desired. This applies to the mts and monster for me.

Sent from my moto g(8) plus using Tapatalk

Audi has not meddled with Ducati or Lambroghini but have made capital and resources available to them and both companies have blossomed during the ownership.
This has injected new life into the Monster and it still has a Desmo V2

A big improvement over the previous 821so hopefully
it can gain some share from the Street triple and 790/890 Duke.

Audi has not meddled with Ducati or Lambroghini but have made capital and resources available to them and both companies have blossomed during the ownership.
This has injected new life into the Monster and it still has a Desmo V2

A big improvement over the previous 821so hopefully
it can gain some share from the Street triple and 790/890 Duke.
its down in power vs say an FZ09 and costs more, but for sure it will have better suspension and it is a Premium bike...i like where they have it currently.

Let's not forget that the Ducati purists howled when the Monster was first introduced (1993), because it wasn't a proper Ducati; that was the era of the 851/888 and Supersport models. And ... they sold lots of them, it became Ducati's most popular model. Got people to buy a Ducati who wouldn't have, otherwise.

Every time Ducati comes up with something new, it's always like that!

IMO, the design of the Monster peaked with the S4RS.

6a067767a96d10f5105d81c17088567f.jpg
I'm a little late to this thread but that is the most flattering picture of an S4Rs I have ever seen in my life. They didn't look this good stock and you know it

The Ducati "purists" protested the monster line because the sole purpose of the Monster line was to produce CHEAP Ducatis, to sell down market Ducatis.
Ducati was broke, again, and needed cash, again.
Ducati and Harley traded shares, Harley got tech, Ducati got marketing.
The first thing Harley marketing did was get rid of "cheap" monsters, remember "black"?
The 888 era of Ducati, til '96, still had some Taglioni in them. The '97 did not.
I am NOT a Ducati "purist", what ever that is, but I have no use for anything they have made since '96.
"Pre" '96 ducatis were designed by ONE GUY, Fabio Taglioni (nobody else did that, Taglioni didn't even work for Ducati. Taglioni was the head of Ducati NCR, an arm's length company. Fabio designed the bikes, then handed the design to Ducati to produce).
So if you bought a pre '96 Ducati you were actually buying a Taglioni. After '96 they were designed by a committee of Cigiva accountants and engineers... and Harley marketing

The Ducati "purists" protested the monster line because the sole purpose of the Monster line was to produce CHEAP Ducatis, to sell down market Ducatis.
Not sure I agree that selling something available to more people is a problem...
I am NOT a Ducati "purist", what ever that is, but I have no use for anything they have made since '96.
"Pre" '96 ducatis were designed by ONE GUY, Fabio Taglioni
Taglioni was undoubtedly an engineering genius, but 1989 is a long time ago. Do you expect that Ducati should just stop operations when he retired? Or freeze any development and make the same bikes forever? I will grant that 2020 Ducati is a far cry from 1993 Ducati. They're much more like a corporation, less passion project. But they're also not repeatedly skirting bankruptcy...

The 1098/1198 series was the end of the purist Ducati cheap to buy and destroyed the resale value of the older ones. The evolution has continued since then to the point where they seem like everything else no real defining features left but also priced about the same as everything else. Hopefully this strategy works for them in the long term.

Sent from my K87CA using Tapatalk

The 1098/1198 series was the end of the purist Ducati cheap to buy and destroyed the resale value of the older ones. The evolution has continued since then to the point where they seem like everything else no real defining features left but also priced about the same as everything else. Hopefully this strategy works for them in the long term.

Sent from my K87CA using Tapatalk
Steve said "resale value"! Horribly hard to sell a duc. There are so many that go up for sale just before a major service. Who wants to buy a bike that needs $1500 right away. Lol.
My poor neighbour has a 2014 Monster 1200s that he has put about 2k on since he bought it in 2015. He thinks he should be able to sell it for a little over 10. Lol.

Back
Top Bottom