New class for CSBK | GTAMotorcycle.com

New class for CSBK

TK4

What's going on ???

NEWS RELEASE

Professional Motorsports Productions
Toronto, Ontario, Canada

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Toronto, ON – The Canadian National Superbike Championship series will offer an additional National category at Series rounds in 2022, a version of the successful Amateur Lightweight Sport Bike category, the Professional-Amateur Lightweight class: PRO-AM Ltwt for short.

The PRO-AM class will be aimed at the same, small displacement, street-based modern sports machines that compete in the current Super Sonic Road Racing School Amateur Lightweight Sport Bike category in CSBK. However, the PRO-AM guidelines will allow for addition of Pro level competitors, and slightly reduce the technical controls directed at the Amateur Lightweight Sport Bike class.

The new PRO-AM class will offer a more liberal set of standards for a similar range of Lightweight-category street-legal machinery. Competitors can also apply to use motorcycles not approved for Amateur Lightweight Sport Bike if those bikes fit into the competitive model for the new PRO-AM Ltwt National class.

Previously, competitors in Amateur Lightweight Sport Bike were not permitted to compete in other races during a National weekend. Now these racers can “bump” into the PRO-AM category and compete against more experienced riders. Pro level racers will be eligible to race in PRO-AM Ltwt as well as the Liqui Moly Pro Sport Bike middleweight category.

As with the Super Sonic Road Race School Amateur Lightweight Sport Bike category, the new PRO-AM Lightweight category will have two final races per each CSBK National event weekend.

A new PRO/AM category was announced following the Montreal Motorcycle Show on March 7, 2020, just days before the COVID-19 pandemic delayed most racing initiatives. The new 2022 PRO-AM category is the much-delayed launch of that plan, based on events that took place at Atlantic Motorsport Park, Nova Scotia, and Canadian Tire Motorsport Park, Ontario, in the summer of 2019.

The maximum allowable horsepower for the PRO-AM class on the official Series Dynojet Dyno will be 50, and weight must register no lower than 305 pounds immediately post-race in the Keene Truck Tech Centre scales.

In the parallel Amateur Lightweight Sport Bike category, strict rules mandate that the current lowest minimum weight is 310 pounds when measure “wet” post-race, while the highest allowable rear-wheel horsepower is 45.

The Amateur Lightweight Sport Bike class started in 2018 and was a successor to the spec Kawasaki Ninja 300 and Honda CBR250R National classes. The focus of Super Sonic Road Racing School Amateur Lightweight Sport Bike division is on rider development, so the technical guidelines are restrictive.

This means the AM Lightweight Sport Bike class racers are frequently checked and measured, including horsepower monitoring at the official series rear wheel Dynojet Dyno, as provided by Brooklin Cycle Racing’s logistics operations. Performance standards are balanced based on the various models eligible, and their stock weight and power numbers.

In 2021, Harvey Renaud of Richmond, ON, earned the Super Sonic Road Race School Amateur Lightweight Sport Bike National title on a Kawasaki Ninja 400 twin. Renaud wound up with 227 points in the final standings, 16 ahead of season-long Championship leader Mackenzie Weil of Keene, ON, also Ninja mounted. Weil was forced to sit-out the final National race of 2021 at Calabogie Motorsports Park, ON, due to a concussion.

In mandatory post-race Tech at Calabogie September 18, winner Renaud’s Kawasaki produced 44.38 horsepower on the official series Dynojet Dyno, under the 45 permitted horsepower limit for his specific base model. Renaud’s machine weighted 335 pounds post-race, well above the minimum number of 320 pounds as established in CSBK’s Rule Book.

As with the other five CSBK National classes, the new-for-2022 PRO-AM Lightweight category will use spec Dunlop slick rubber and for-racing Dunlop rain tires when needed.

great to read about a new racing class.
not sure why the pro's get 50 rwhp and the AM only get 45

those 5 extra hp will be expensive (relatively). depending on which bike you choose, it good be very expensive

why wouldn't the limit be 45 for both classes?

I don't understand the need to give 5 more expensive hp...

shrug.

EDIT should be a 40hp 350 class
and a 50hp 500 class
now add the 50hp PRO- AM

3 RACES TY !

Last edited:
Ninja 400 without restrictor plates and with mild tuning will be close to that. The others are expensive to come close

"The new PRO-AM class will offer a more liberal set of standards for a similar range of Lightweight-category street-legal machinery. Competitors can also apply to use motorcycles not approved for Amateur Lightweight Sport Bike if those bikes fit into the competitive model for the new PRO-AM Ltwt National class."

Let's try to interpret this.
Non-homologated bikes will be allowed to run as long as they don't blow over on the dyno or under on the scales ?
Does this mean I could take something like a Royal Enfield Continental GT650 and enter (even if it doesn't stand a snowball's chance) ?
Inquiring minds need to know...

The common older bikes used in Lightweight Superbike back in the day would have more power than that. My crap EX500 that I started racing with many moons ago, would have blown over that horsepower limit when the head gasket wasn't blown. FZR400, RZ350, etc will also blow over.

The common older bikes used in Lightweight Superbike back in the day would have more power than that. My crap EX500 that I started racing with many moons ago, would have blown over that horsepower limit when the head gasket wasn't blown. FZR400, RZ350, etc will also blow over.
An RZ350 never had 50hp unless you ran it on nitrous, I doubt an EX500 either. Maybe an FZR400 on a good day.

"The new PRO-AM class will offer a more liberal set of standards for a similar range of Lightweight-category street-legal machinery. Competitors can also apply to use motorcycles not approved for Amateur Lightweight Sport Bike if those bikes fit into the competitive model for the new PRO-AM Ltwt National class."

Let's try to interpret this.
Non-homologated bikes will be allowed to run as long as they don't blow over on the dyno or under on the scales ?
Does this mean I could take something like a Royal Enfield Continental GT650 and enter (even if it doesn't stand a snowball's chance) ?
Inquiring minds need to know...
That is the way I read the rules. Under 50.1 HP and at least 305 pounds is good to go

Reactions: TK4
An RZ350 never had 50hp unless you ran it on nitrous, I doubt an EX500 either. Maybe an FZR400 on a good day.
Lol what. My RZ350 made 53hp with JL chambers and a stock motor with the airbox. The Canadian models made 50hp from the factory with the stock pipes. Its literally the reason Americans wanted Canadian Spec pipe.

Also, the EX500 easily makes 50Hp with a stock motor. You can get 65hp from just a pipe, and CR carbs on an EX500.

Also, my R3 makes 43.5hp with light motorwork, and a tune.

On the low side or the high side? Or on the cubic dollars side? LOL
None of mine are bumping against any limits.

We have tried mods to the airbox and you can reach the limits you speak of but it then robs you hp and torque at every rpm other than wide open.

Back
Top Bottom