New bike, New Problems | GTAMotorcycle.com

New bike, New Problems

CheifRecords

So I picked up a '93 Bullet 500 a couple of months ago and have had no problems until a couple of days ago. It seems lately that when I apply half the throttle or more the bike kind of stutters when accelerating. Almost as if it were gasping for air or something. It happens more often the faster I'm moving (i.e. higher RPM) and coming down a hill the bike even stalled.

Also, coming off a red light if I don't slowly, and I mean very slowly, turn the throttle the bike will sputter and die half the time. It seems to me to be a problem with airflow but I can't figure it out.

And I have half a tank of fuel still.

These bikes are technically quite uncomplicated. I believe a '93 would be carburetted. First thing I would check is the gas filler cap to be sure the vent isn't clogged which would cause a partial vacuum in the tank and not allow the gas to flow. Next time it acts up pull over and remove the gas cap, listening for an inrush of air. Blocked fuel filter? If that isn't it then check the carb for a blocked jet. The needle jet or main jet could have dirt in it judging from the symptoms.
I'm assuming it's an Enfield Bullet 500cc single?

1993- has it still got the points&condenser ? you said that you cleaned the spark plug, was it sooty on the centre core ?

1993- has it still got the points&condenser ?

Yes

you said that you cleaned the spark plug, was it sooty on the centre core ?

It was pretty bad so after I just replaced it with a new one. Still no luck. I also tried removing and cleaning the air filter but it wasn't that dirty after all.

EDIT: While taking another crack at it I noticed air bubbles in the orange fuel tube going from the fuel tank to the carb. :(

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom