New 407 / 412 HWYs Open | GTAMotorcycle.com

New 407 / 412 HWYs Open

ZX600

Site Supporter
I went for a quick ride last night to check these new HWYs.

The good:
4.5 Min from the 401 to HWY 7 on the 412 - Wow amaze balls
Also went from HWY 12 to York/Durham exit in 10 min.

The Bad:
This morning my commute on the 407 from York/Durham to the 400 was plagued with what I call "401 drivers", you can identify them really quickly coasting at 110 on the fast lane regardless of who is behind, in front or beside them.

I guess the new Free portion of the 407 enticed many to continue on the paid portion, can't wait for them to receive their first monthly bill and go back with their bad driving habits to the 401.

Last edited:
I'll have to check these out while it is still free at some point this summer. I assume if heading east, you can take HWY 7 to Brock Rd in Pickering, get on the new 407, and take it to the end at Harmony in Oshawa free of charge? Same going back the other way?

Since Brock was the old terminus, I'm not sure if there are cameras there to nab you.

Where is it free from?

I'll have to check these out while it is still free at some point this summer. I assume if heading east, you can take HWY 7 to Brock Rd in Pickering, get on the new 407, and take it to the end at Harmony in Oshawa free of charge? Same going back the other way?

Since Brock was the old terminus, I'm not sure if there are cameras there to nab you.
Going west there is a set of cameras just before Brook rd but also the old set of cameras to get onto the old 407 are also working so I assume the old set of cameras is where they start charging. It was confusing for me last night as there is basically two sets of cameras to start the same portion of the old 407.

Where is it free from?

407:
free from Brock Rd all the way to Harmony and of course same going west.

412:
Free all the way from the 401 to HWY 7 both ways

Last edited:
I use the 407 everyday to get to and from work in my company truck. It was originally supposed to be open in fall 2015, they changed it to "spring 2016"......they made their deadline with 1 day to spare.

Last Saturday they opened it up to pedestrians/cyclists. That was cool.

Cooler is my morning commute (Brock to Harmony) with an open highway! Loving it, I'm a regular 407 user also

......they made their deadline with 1 day to spare.

I don't know that they can actually say they made the extended deadline. Many of the ramps, bridges and traffic lights are not complete.
Going eastbound there is still that mess at Brock Rd; there is only one lane from the 407 to the East 407 extension. 407 was still backed up almost to the town line last night.
There is no exit (not complete) from eastbound 407 for Brock St (Hwy 12), You must exit early at Hwy 23, but the ramps, bridge and lights are not complete, so you're exiting to a confusing construction zone.

This stretch, between the Hwy 7 widening and the 407 extension, has been under construction now for 5 or 6 years, it's getting a bit tiresome. When it's done we'll have the privilege of driving on the world's most expensive toll road.

Going west there is a set of cameras just before Brook rd but also the old set of cameras to get onto the old 407 are also working so I assume the old set of cameras is where they start charging. It was confusing for me last night as there is basically two sets of cameras to start the same portion of the old 407.

407:
free from Brock Rd all the way to Harmony and of course same going west.

412:
Free all the way from the 401 to HWY 7 both ways
Ok cool

I don't know that they can actually say they made the extended deadline. Many of the ramps, bridges and traffic lights are not complete.
Going eastbound there is still that mess at Brock Rd; there is only one lane from the 407 to the East 407 extension. 407 was still backed up almost to the town line last night.
There is no exit (not complete) from eastbound 407 for Brock St (Hwy 12), You must exit early at Hwy 23, but the ramps, bridge and lights are not complete, so you're exiting to a confusing construction zone.

This stretch, between the Hwy 7 widening and the 407 extension, has been under construction now for 5 or 6 years, it's getting a bit tiresome. When it's done we'll have the privilege of driving on the world's most expensive toll road.

I'm a 100% with you. My route home, or used to be, eastbound 407 to Brock then Winchester past Grandview, where it turns into Concession 7, to Hwy57.

Earlier this year that changed because they blocked it at Conc.7 and I had to take Grandview up to Columbus Rd. Then they blocked that, the sign said "Closed April 18 to May 27"....on May 27 the sign magically changed to "fall 2016"

Ouch - two Huge HWYs connected by a 1 lane bottle neck, nuts.

No kidding about the price - I did over 3000 kms in tool roads in Portugal and Spain and my bill was less than 200 Euros.

Last edited:
I use the 407 everyday to get to and from work in my company truck. It was originally supposed to be open in fall 2015, they changed it to "spring 2016"......they made their deadline with 1 day to spare.
I don't understand why is it free until the end of the year if the extension belongs to Ontario?

Shouldn't the highway be recouping the build costs right away? Or is ths construction company taking one on the chin?

The news mentioned that the construction company will be paying heavy fines for being late (as per the contract) not sure if that will offset the lost revenue from not charging for full 6 1/2 months

I don't understand why is it free until the end of the year if the extension belongs to Ontario?

Shouldn't the highway be recouping the build costs right away? Or is ths construction company taking one on the chin?

I heard it was free, but I never see the bill. My transponder beeped 4 times yesterday morning when I got on at Harmony. This morning it beeped 4 times when I passed Brock Rd ....

6 1/2 months free is to build a customer base. Then when you get used to it, they hit you up with fees that will more than cover any late charges.

Looking at Google Maps, there seem to be some missing bits:

- It doesn't look like you can get from southbound Lake Ridge onto southbound 412 as a quick way down to the 401.
- You also can't get from southbound 12 to westbound 407, which seems like a major problem
- Harmony seems like a pretty small road to be dumping all that traffic on.

Anyone know if they used Concrete/Cement on the surface like the other part of the 407?

on a side note, last Weekend when riding the 401 down near the 412 interchange I noticed they smoothed out the road and there is no longer any of those dips and bumps there used to be.

6 1/2 months free is to build a customer base. Then when you get used to it, they hit you up with fees that will more than cover any late charges.

Looking at Google Maps, there seem to be some missing bits:

- It doesn't look like you can get from southbound Lake Ridge onto southbound 412 as a quick way down to the 401.
- You also can't get from southbound 12 to westbound 407, which seems like a major problem
- Harmony seems like a pretty small road to be dumping all that traffic on.

Southbound Lakeridge you just need to hang a left onto Winchester/Hwy7 to use the 412 this morning no problem.
There is a ramp for soundbound12/baldwin to westbound 407.
Harmony has been widened north of Winchester/7 to allow for the dump of traffic.

I guess its better than it looks on the maps.

Southbound Lakeridge you just need to hang a left onto Winchester/Hwy7 to use the 412 this morning no problem. Yeah, that works.
There is a ramp for soundbound12/baldwin to westbound 407. Google needs to update there maps to show this.
Harmony has been widened north of Winchester/7 to allow for the dump of traffic. Google needs to update there maps to show this.

What about going west, and exiting the new 407 westbound to HWY 7 at the end of the free ride (Brock Rd in Pickering)? Is it a cluster**** as well, or finished/well marked?

What about going west, and exiting the new 407 westbound to HWY 7 at the end of the free ride (Brock Rd in Pickering)? Is it a cluster**** as well, or finished/well marked?

Yes, you can do that. Exit to Brock Rd. North, make an immediate left onto HWY 7 West.
The traffic lights at the top of the ramp weren't working correctly last Friday, but they are there and have power, so good chance it's all working now.

Back
Top Bottom