Need some input from 650r owners...gas mileage? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Need some input from 650r owners...gas mileage?

silvrsurfr

I have a 2011 650r.

How far are you guys going on a tank of gas? (approx - i understand we all ride differently)

I haven't bothered with the run her til she's empty while carrying a jerry can of gas, but i just might to figure this out.

On my cluster it has a fuel gauge. 4 blocks indicating gas. The first 3 blocks, i get about 40km each block. However, i have not ran her empty when on the last block, so I am unsure how long it will last. Another 40km's? Which means, i would only get approx 160km per tank of gas? Seems rather low.

Any input from your experiences would be great.

Thanks

My 2008 varies widely with riding style. Last summer I commuted on the 401 at ~140km/h indicated (130 on GPS) and the light would go on well before 300kms, say 250 or so. I once ran out completely pushing it to 311kms, and yet this summer my commute has changed and is all on secondary roads at 100km/h max and I recently had a tank where the light didn't go on until 300kms.

My last tank was 300.3 kms and I squeezed in 13.9 litres.

2009 here..I have 5 blocks, about 50 km each block = roughly 250km for the tank. Around 12L and $15-17 per fill up. A lot of highway cruising at 120-130km/hr

my 09 650 versys can do 300km on a tank, no problem. My old 07 Ninja 650 could also do over 300km per tank

Edit: sorry 5 blocks.
thanks for the input. Im doing more long distances now. So its more of a concern about how far i can go on a tank.

Fill it up full
Keep track of km til your last indicator comes on

Then hit the gas station and fill it to the same level - see how much it takes as you do know your total tank capacity.

Divide what you used by the KM you rode.

Use that number against what is left in the tank will give you a pretty decent idea of range

Do that a couple of times and you'll have it pretty close.

In my experience the upper levels of the indicator are useless.

If your's is similar to my Suzi there are 5 blocks.

my 09 650 versys can do 300km on a tank, no problem. My old 07 Ninja 650 could also do over 300km per tank

I get about 280 on a tank of 12 litres. i know it will hold 15L
i like to keep the revs high!

don't forget that if you stand the bike up when you fill it you'll get more juice in the can!

thanks for tip KK from a previous post.

Last edited:
Last edited:
I tracked my consumption this season for my 2006 650R. I get between 200 and 250km before the fuel warning indicator comes on.

For the first two months or so I did really poorly. I think it had to do with my riding style where I kept it at higher RPMs. Obviously not good for fuel economy. I was getting between 8 and 9 L per 100 km. Terrible. By the end (now) I shaved it down to about the 5.2L per 100km range. So overall for the season it works out to something like 6L per 100km, but if I kept up better habits it would have been at 5. That's the difference between 16km/L and 19km/L.

Taking the details of my records and extrapolating for how much a full tank would have gotten me (given the same riding habits per fill-up session) then it averages to 252km per tank for the whole season, or 280km for the latter (more disciplined) half.

This is all really good information to have given that all I have is a fuel warning indicator that comes on when I've got only 3.5L left.

Mods that affect my HP (and fuel consumption): Leo Vince SBK exhaust and PCIII.

Hey iegod, I'd like to hear your Leo Vince SBK exhaust, I am looking into getting an exhaust just not sure which one.

My fuel light comes on really early also, it's typical for the 650r. Yesterday I squeaked in 298KMS on a tank most was highway driving.

I tracked my consumption this season for my 2006 650R. I get between 200 and 250km before the fuel warning indicator comes on.

For the first two months or so I did really poorly. I think it had to do with my riding style where I kept it at higher RPMs. Obviously not good for fuel economy. I was getting between 8 and 9 L per 100 km. Terrible. By the end (now) I shaved it down to about the 5.2L per 100km range. So overall for the season it works out to something like 6L per 100km, but if I kept up better habits it would have been at 5. That's the difference between 16km/L and 19km/L.

Taking the details of my records and extrapolating for how much a full tank would have gotten me (given the same riding habits per fill-up session) then it averages to 252km per tank for the whole season, or 280km for the latter (more disciplined) half.

This is all really good information to have given that all I have is a fuel warning indicator that comes on when I've got only 3.5L left.

Mods that affect my HP (and fuel consumption): Leo Vince SBK exhaust and PCIII.

OP I have a 2010 650R. So I believe our dash is the same. We actually have 6 blocks. I average about 40-50 km's per block. By the time I get down to the last block when it starts to flash I usually have about 3.5 l left. If the last block is still solid (eg. not flashing fuel text) we probably still have 5 litres left. Only when it starts to flash does it indicate low fuel level (approx. 3.5 lites left). Normal mixed riding I get between 280 - 300 km per tank. This sucks compared to my old 250R , I was getting 380 - 400 km per tank.

I think the tanks on the 650r are too small. The 250r had a 17l tank and our 650r only holds 15.5l. I usually fill it right up to the metal plate in the gas cap with bike vertical. Never ran the tank to empty so I fill up at the 230 km mark most times.

Last edited:
2012 650... Approx 280... Shifting around 7k.. Plus I fill up with bike on its stand .. So I'm sure I can squeez more out of it

Last edited:
FWIW My 2006 FZ6 consistantly gives me 60mpg and over 300kms before the idiot light starts blinking. I like to spool it up going through the gears and typically travel about 20 -30km over the posted limit. (I also weigh less than 140 lbs)

I honestly think it would get close to 70mpg if gear changes were made at or below 6000 and the posted limits were adhered to religiously.

FWIW My 2006 FZ6 consistantly gives me 60mpg and over 300kms before the idiot light starts blinking. I like to spool it up going through the gears and typically travel about 20 -30km over the posted limit. (I also weigh less than 140 lbs)

I honestly think it would get close to 70mpg if gear changes were made at or below 6000 and the posted limits were adhered to religiously.
You must be talking Imperial MPG? Otherwise you're severely kicking the crap outta that new 700 from Honda that is designed purely for fuel economy... Actually you're beating a 250 from what I've heard. Still pretty impressive, though.

Back
Top Bottom