Need some advice | GTAMotorcycle.com

Need some advice

ajax.911

Hi guys, I am very new to all of these. I got my M1 and finished M1 to M2 safety course. However I wish I had more practice there as still dont feel comfortable with bike yet. The question is, do I take additional hrs that safety course provides (without licensing) or it is better to actually buy a bike, if dealership far away have it delivered to home and use neighborhood to practice ?

Any good places to practice in Brampton area ?

Maybe other advice ?

Thank you!

sounds like you're starting off thinking and doing the right things

nothing wrong with having the bike delivered to home
exiting the dealer parking lot and straight out into traffic first time on the bike can end poorly

are there any large commercial properties near you that don't operate on weekends?
an empty parking lot is a great place to practice your slow speed stuff and get comfortable
then you can head out into local traffic after you are more familiar with the bike

Buy the bike and take it slow in residential areas to get your confidence up. If you know any large empty parking lots those are ideal.

If you`re having problems getting the bike home, reach out on here and i don't doubt someone can help you out with a trailer or maybe ride it home for you.

Hi guys, I am very new to all of these. I got my M1 and finished M1 to M2 safety course. However I wish I had more practice there as still dont feel comfortable with bike yet. The question is, do I take additional hrs that safety course provides (without licensing) or it is better to actually buy a bike, if dealership far away have it delivered to home and use neighborhood to practice ?

Any good places to practice in Brampton area ?

Maybe other advice ?

Thank you!
There is no substitute for practice. In the beginning you need to do 3 things; build skill, gain confidence, overcome fear. These will come faster if you have a capable mentor.

Join a Meetup group that supports and offers beginner rides. Group rides are quite safe, if they are advertised for beginners there will likely be a skilled rider sweeping (following) at your pace. He/she will usually provide you with feedback and suggestions if you ask. Rides go a few hours -- great for practice and will build your skills and confidence.

In the beginning I'd recommend choosing a group with older mature riders, they are less likely to goat you into riding beyond your ability and will be patient as you learn. https://www.bramptonmotorcycleassociation.com/ might be somewhere to start, they do ice cream rides which will be short, not aggressive with interesting routes and lots of stops.

Don’t forget to watch as much quality content through online videos as you can intake. YouTube: twist of the wrist. Make sure you fully understand 1. Up/downshifting 2. Counter steering 3. Proper use of front/back brakes 4. Emergency stopping..
Once you understand those crucial concepts you’ll find it easier to pick up the physical side of the skills with practice. Take it slow but be confident in yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

Love that you are seeking info on how to be a better and safer rider. I think those options are fine or you could look into a reputable riding school for some further instruction and to help build some confidence. There are many to choose from :). I'm a coach with the California Superbike School so I'm happy to answer any questions you may have about specific techniques or about track days/riding schools. Keep practicing and asking questions! Cheers :)

Get a buddy to ride it out of the city for you while you drive his car or truck. Go spend a day in the middle of nowhere just riding. It will feel like second nature by the end of the day.

use google maps. satellite the area around your home first. schools, go station, office complex have big parking lots. Don't use the practice place as a hang out. Keep the noise low. If they ask you to leave, thanked them and leave right away. I use small plastic cones and side walk chalked to help set up a litte course( check out motojistue white belt on youtube . Start slowly, ie. can you start and stop in straight line without bouncing the front end. can keep the weight of your hands off the handle bars. There is lots of things to know, understand and practice. Also realize you can messed up real good in parking lot or infront your house.
Btw I would buy the bike

use google maps. satellite the area around your home first. schools, go station, office complex have big parking lots. Don't use the practice place as a hang out. Keep the noise low. If they ask you to leave, thanked them and leave right away. I use small plastic cones and side walk chalked to help set up a litte course( check out motojistue white belt on youtube . Start slowly, ie. can you start and stop in straight line without bouncing the front end. can keep the weight of your hands off the handle bars. There is lots of things to know, understand and practice. Also realize you can messed up real good in parking lot or infront your house.
Btw I would buy the bike

The white belt stuff from MotoJitsu is a really nice starting point for parking lot training!

Back
Top Bottom