Need new track helmet, any recommendations? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Need new track helmet, any recommendations?

Not sure if you ordered already. Anyway I was a long time Shark fan. Owned several top-of-the-line Shark helmets including the last one a RSR2.

Anyway decided to shop for a new helmet this year and really cant justify spending another $1k on another Shark. Ended up getting a Scorpion exo-1400 air from fc-moto for $250 instead.

If you are used to the Shark quality yes the Scorpion will disappoint you big time. The visor was the strong point on Shark. It feels more like glass and it is optically perfect. The Scorpion feels, well, like any other plastic visors. There are already scratches on it even before I tear off the plastic protector on it. Mine Scorpion came with the inner sun visor broken, and there is a tear already on the chin curtain even before I put it on. The helmet was in a box too big for the helmet and god know how many times it has been thrown around.

Basically first impression was a big let down.

Having said that after I tried the Scorpion on I actually like it a lot. The first thing I noticed was how light it is despite it isn't the carbon version. I think it may have to do with 3 shell sizes. Shark unfortunately is infamous for its lack of shell sizes even for their top-of-the-line helmets. For someone wearing a small size the Scorpion shell is probably much smaller and therefore much lighter even on paper (usually measured from a M size) it is the heavier one. The helmet is also surprisingly quiet despite Shark emphasis on aerodynamic. The vents on the Scorpion are also much easier to operate. The shark has 3 vents on it and each require a different way to operate. I can never remember how to operate them without taking it off and look at them.

So I don't think I will go back to Shark unless I can get a really good deal. However only time will tell how long this Scorpion will last. But even if it only last for 2 years I can still buy 4 of them for the price of one Shark.

Not sure if you ordered already. Anyway I was a long time Shark fan. Owned several top-of-the-line Shark helmets including the last one a RSR2.

Anyway decided to shop for a new helmet this year and really cant justify spending another $1k on another Shark. Ended up getting a Scorpion exo-1400 air from fc-moto for $250 instead.

If you are used to the Shark quality yes the Scorpion will disappoint you big time. The visor was the strong point on Shark. It feels more like glass and it is optically perfect. The Scorpion feels, well, like any other plastic visors. There are already scratches on it even before I tear off the plastic protector on it. Mine Scorpion came with the inner sun visor broken, and there is a tear already on the chin curtain even before I put it on. The helmet was in a box too big for the helmet and god know how many times it has been thrown around.

Basically first impression was a big let down.

Having said that after I tried the Scorpion on I actually like it a lot. The first thing I noticed was how light it is despite it isn't the carbon version. I think it may have to do with 3 shell sizes. Shark unfortunately is infamous for its lack of shell sizes even for their top-of-the-line helmets. For someone wearing a small size the Scorpion shell is probably much smaller and therefore much lighter even on paper (usually measured from a M size) it is the heavier one. The helmet is also surprisingly quiet despite Shark emphasis on aerodynamic. The vents on the Scorpion are also much easier to operate. The shark has 3 vents on it and each require a different way to operate. I can never remember how to operate them without taking it off and look at them.

So I don't think I will go back to Shark unless I can get a really good deal. However only time will tell how long this Scorpion will last. But even if it only last for 2 years I can still buy 4 of them for the price of one Shark.
I actually did order the Scorpion EXO-R1 Air from Champion, but they eventually responded saying they were actually sold out until September at the earliest and could only offer an EXO-1400 in my size. As it's a track lid, I don't want the integrated visor, so just got my refund. The hunt continues.

Edit: Motocard claims to have one in stock, about $80 more than Champion with shipping, but still cheap compared to local. Just ordered, we'll see if it actually ships...

Last edited:
I actually did order the Scorpion EXO-R1 Air from Champion, but they eventually responded saying they were actually sold out until September at the earliest and could only offer an EXO-1400 in my size. As it's a track lid, I don't want the integrated visor, so just got my refund. The hunt continues.

Edit: Motocard claims to have one in stock, about $80 more than Champion with shipping, but still cheap compared to local. Just ordered, we'll see if it actually ships...
The integrated visor on the EXO-1400 can be taken off in case your EXO-R1 deal fall thru. Anyway I expect the EXO-R1 should be one notch above the EXO-1400 so hope it works out for you.

I recently checked out an AGV K6 Carbon at gp bikes. It was hard to believe I was holding a real helmet, it was so light.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk
I own a K6 (non carbon) and I’ve been saying that since I got it. No AGV love it seems, oh well.

No AGV love it seems, oh well.
Nothing rational on my end, just one (or 200) too many Rossi replicas for me so I tend to avoid the brand.

On a (slightly) more rational level, the K6 is more of a street helmet (Spartan GT/RF-1400 competitor), and the Corsa and Pista models are expensive for what they are, with no advantage for me over a Shark or Shoei equivalent. There's no doubting their quality, though...

Nothing rational on my end, just one (or 200) too many Rossi replicas for me so I tend to avoid the brand.

On a (slightly) more rational level, the K6 is more of a street helmet (Spartan GT/RF-1400 competitor), and the Corsa and Pista models are expensive for what they are, with no advantage for me over a Shark or Shoei equivalent. There's no doubting their quality, though...
Certainly no advocation for track consideration. Just a general comment. 🙂

Quick update for the few looking for similar helmets. Received the Scorpion EXO-R1 Air from Motocard today, and first impressions are pretty much in line with what everyone has said. It's an obvious and notable step down from the Shark in pretty much all components, with the exception that it's very slightly lighter. The visor is thin, the vent closures feel comparatively cheap, and the liner is far less plush. That's actually my biggest let-down, as I can feel the hard foam behind the liner, where the Shark just feels soft. In my hands it feels a lot smaller, but side-by-side they look quite similar.

Still, you get what you pay for, and the difference is in the details and creature comforts, not safety. Just based on the short time I've had it, I probably would go back to Shark next time, even at twice the price. It'll do for a couple years, and we'll see how it ages. Maybe I'll love it more once it's broken in...

I recently purchased the Scorpion Exo R1 Air on sale for about $340. I already own a Bell Race Star Flex DLX which is my point of reference. Both only see track day use. Never owned Shoei or Arai. Agree with you on all accounts on the Scorpion when I compare it to the Bell - less plush, visor feels less solid, vents not as good, etc which is to be expected at the price point. That being said, it is still very comfortable and is noticeably lighter than the Bell. It also comes with a dark visor included. When I purchased the Bell it was about $600 + extra for a dark visor, so almost double the Scorpion. For a budget track day option I'd recommend the Scorpion. If I were out shopping for a new lid to use at the track I'd probably choose it over the Bell and save the cash.

I recently purchased the Scorpion Exo R1 Air on sale for about $340. I already own a Bell Race Star Flex DLX which is my point of reference. Both only see track day use. Never owned Shoei or Arai. Agree with you on all accounts on the Scorpion when I compare it to the Bell - less plush, visor feels less solid, vents not as good, etc which is to be expected at the price point. That being said, it is still very comfortable and is noticeably lighter than the Bell. It also comes with a dark visor included. When I purchased the Bell it was about $600 + extra for a dark visor, so almost double the Scorpion. For a budget track day option I'd recommend the Scorpion. If I were out shopping for a new lid to use at the track I'd probably choose it over the Bell and save the cash.
Those are some good prices. Cheapest I found a current model R1 Air was $400, though I could get two-year-old ones for less, but I figure you lose 2/5ths of the life of the helmet, so the savings don't make sense.

Bell was high on my list, too, but I couldn't find one for less than about $850 plus shipping...

@Priller FYI: the new HJC RPHA 1N is FIM certified.

RPHA1-solid-wht-side1-s.png

@Priller FYI: the new HJC RPHA 1N is FIM certified.

RPHA1-solid-wht-side1-s.png
Thanks for the heads up! Seems to also be ECE 22.06, so ticks all the boxes.

It's brand new, so hard to find Canadian or Euro pricing, but based on the US MSRP of $700, it seems to be positioned between the cheaper Scorpion and LS2 options and the pricier Shoei and Shark models. Champion Helmets lists it for about $830 CAD, but I find they often don't have stock, so the low price may be a bit of a mirage...

I actually had a slow lowside (first session, cold tires, so stupid) in September with enough of a bonk on the side that it did my Scorpion EXO-R1 in (very happy it wasn't a $1000 Shark or Shoei, actually), and I was happy enough with it for the price that I'll be ordering another one as replacement. Thought I got away with it until somebody pointed out the dent. $400 CAD including two visors and a pinlock is tough to beat...

Back
Top Bottom