Need help with my gs500f | GTAMotorcycle.com

Need help with my gs500f

AlohaSnack69

So far nothing is wrong with the bike it's been stone axe reliable this season and all I've been doing is filling up gas and checking tire pressure as well as chain maintenance.

Was reading up on rejetting the carbs how it really makes the bike run a lot better and not so lean. Wondering if anyone who has a gs500f from 2001 onward who can let me know if they rejetted theirs and what kit they used? Thanks a lot. I am currently looking at the dyno jet one

There are at least two different Dynojet kits for GS500s, if yours is a 2006 then it is gonna be Dynojet part #3156 (coincidentally I have an unused kit that I am dying to get rid of). Don't have much to say otherwise, other than if I had kept my GS500 for another year I definitely would have installed it as it is super lean from the factory. It ran like crap if I ever rode it in the rain. The instructions for the kit make reference to spare slide springs that it did not actually come with. Carbs are easily accessible so I don't expect it would be a difficult job

There are at least two different Dynojet kits for GS500s, if yours is a 2006 then it is gonna be Dynojet part #3156 (coincidentally I have an unused kit that I am dying to get rid of). Don't have much to say otherwise, other than if I had kept my GS500 for another year I definitely would have installed it as it is super lean from the factory. It ran like crap if I ever rode it in the rain. The instructions for the kit make reference to spare slide springs that it did not actually come with. Carbs are easily accessible so I don't expect it would be a difficult job
Thanks for the information, I might just take up your offer on the jet kit. Where would I be able to get those spare slide springs?

+1 for gstwins.com. I remember using their wiki a lot

I haven't heard about rejetting being frustrating, though. I did mine without much issue, but it was a long long time ago and I have a full exhaust system and lunchbox air filter so it wouldn't help you much even if I could remember the jet sizing

If you're going to go for it, it may help to have a manometer to synch the carbs at the same time

Thanks for the information, I might just take up your offer on the jet kit. Where would I be able to get those spare slide springs?
You shouldn't need them. I'm not really sure why they originally planned to include them to be honest

Like Wingboy said. It's a GS500 if you really need more power maybe a different bike is in order. The bike companies have pretty bright engineers and they don't leave a lot of extra hp untapped.

Like Wingboy said. It's a GS500 if you really need more power maybe a different bike is in order. The bike companies have pretty bright engineers and they don't leave a lot of extra hp untapped.
The bike engineers have the giant hammer of emissions and sometimes fuel economy overlords above them. As an owner you can choose to ignore those restrictions.

At the start of its model life the GS500 had 51hp, at the end it had like 44. Same motor! At the end it gains TPS controlled ignition advance and three jet carbs too - gaining the ability to more precisely meter & control things and it still lost power. I personally feel that at least the model that I owned (2005? 2008? I legit forget) was jetted quite lean. Throttle response was abysmal

Past experience tells me that the GS500 is more sensitive to valve clearances than a lot of other machines.
Before doing anything else get it checked.
Upside is the GS500 valve clearance check is very easy and simple. Seriously the hardest part is just disconnecting and reconnecting the fuel lines

Past experience tells me that the GS500 is more sensitive to valve clearances than a lot of other machines.
Before doing anything else get it checked.
I haven't checked the valve clearance but the bike runs good and doesn't make why weird sounds so far

At the start of its model life the GS500 had 51hp, at the end it had like 44. Same motor! At the end it gains TPS controlled ignition advance and three jet carbs too - gaining the ability to more precisely meter & control things and it still lost power. I personally feel that at least the model that I owned (2005? 2008? I legit forget) was jetted quite lean. Throttle response was abysmal

Upside is the GS500 valve clearance check is very easy and simple. Seriously the hardest part is just disconnecting and reconnecting the fuel lines
mmm simple ? maybe for you. it does have shims.

it depends - but there can be serious pitfalls. use a shop manual. two brains are better than one. I would strongly suggest you have an experienced friend helping the first time you do it . shrug.

Back
Top Bottom