Need a recommended BMW dealer | GTAMotorcycle.com

Need a recommended BMW dealer

Mercaholic

Looks like I'm destined for a BMW after test riding a half dozen this summer.

Can anyone recommend a dealership? It does not have to be local.

I have a couple friends who have bmw's and they all go to 'wolfs' in London Ontario. Based on what they has told me, it's a fantastic place.

Any major service, where they will need the bike for more than a day, they give you a loaner!

Don't know if all BMW dealers do that.

I have a humble Kawi. My dealer sure as hell doesent.

HAHAHA damn summerfest and the BMW test rides! You must've been up early to get to ride some! I heard there was a line up Sunday morning at 5am!
I've dealt with Budds. Kinda snobby but they know their stuff.
Personally, I bought used in the states. 1/2 price.

Dealt with Budds for years, motorrad people know their stuff and John Parker the service team leader is the best in the business

I deal with Wolf BMW in London. Its the only bmw motorcycle only dealership in ontario I think. Nice people, quick service and if you buy from them, you get a loaner bike when you bring the bike in for service. I think other dealers do that as well, but not 100% sure.

www.wolfbmw.com

Personally, I bought used in the states. 1/2 price.

The only thing I questioned about buying from the states was the warranty. I don't think they have unlimited mileage warranty in the states. But the prices are definitely much cheaper south of the border.

OP, what bike are you looking at getting?

I used to have a BMW. I found Budds to be extremely pretentious (if you didn't have 50K+ to drop on a new car, they didn't really want you in their dealership). I really liked wolf, very friendly and helpful and a nice ride to get there. They have a surprising amount of stock too. Whenever I needed more than $50 worth of parts or accessories I would go and support wolf as I felt good about when my money was going. Cheap stuff came from Budds as it was convenient, but I much preferred Wolf.

That being said, there is something to having a relationship with a local dealer. If you need a major service running it out to wolf is a pita. John (was (is?) chief motorcycle mechanic at Budds) really knows his stuff and is a former dirt tracker.

Which one are you thinking of getting?

Good luck.

Buy your bike at Wolfs, service your bike at Budds if you want new.

The being said - I would strongly recommend buying used and servicing it yourself. I managed to get a GS for less than half the cost of new a year ago fully farkled and only 45K kms.

K and R bikes are really easy to work on - if you are getting an F or S bike they're as difficult as any other yamakawahondazuki (which is not that difficult).

Servicing a BMW is a pricey venture at dealerships - yearly maintenance is $600-1000 at the dealer - or about $75 bucks if you do it yourself.

If you need parts, you can order online from maxbmw in the states.

++++1 on WOLF

Wolfs service is good to, never had an issue with them and they get it done when they say they will have it done.

I would service my bike where I bought it, you develop a relationship with the dealer which I think in the long run works out better for the buyer.

I used to have a BMW. I found Budds to be extremely pretentious (if you didn't have 50K+ to drop on a new car, they didn't really want you in their dealership). I really liked wolf, very friendly and helpful and a nice ride to get there. They have a surprising amount of stock too. Whenever I needed more than $50 worth of parts or accessories I would go and support wolf as I felt good about when my money was going. Cheap stuff came from Budds as it was convenient, but I much preferred Wolf.

Good luck.

Agreed that the sales staff there are snobbish. But the guys in the workshop are awesome. If I had to, I would make the extra effort to take my bike there for a service.

Durham/Endras BMW for great sales guys who actually ride! ;)

The Motorrad guys at Budd's are fantastic. Despite being young and poor I never felt any pretentious attitude at all. In fact, quite the opposite from the service guy, John.

Highly recommended for both purchasing and service.

I bought my F800R new from BMW Toronto, and hav egone back for servicing. I have no negative comments and have been well looked after. It helps that they have a regular shuttle bus to my office downtown. I have dealt with them for years on cars and bikes and it has been a positive experience.

John

I bought my bike at WOLF (in London) and serviced it there for the first 3yrs. Then I tried Open Road (in Newmarket) - and although they're really nice people, their attention falls short of acceptable limits. Three times, they "forgot" to tighten the oil cap and on my way home (to Scarborough) I had my pants sprayed from the thigh to the tip of the boot with oil. Once the cap actually flew off the engine cover - but I saw it and caught it in time (was at a light). They also lost my oil cap tightening tool... and the last straw was 2yrs ago in November when I took it in for a final oil change and tune-up and they lost my bottom skid plate. The manager told me that unless I can PROVE that the skid plate was on the bike, there's nothing they are willing to do. The cost of a 1200GS skid plate is in the upper $300s....

Upon a warm recommendation, I took the bike to Budd's this spring, just before the Ride to Conquer Cancer. I was told that, as part of the Moto Safety Team, I'd receive a 15% discount on the service because they're sponsoring the team. NOT THE CASE: I received no discount. The bike was "going to be finished in 4 days" yet 9 days later I was still waiting. Also, I took it in for a 90k service and was told to expect a charge of about $700+ for all the things they will be looking after. The final bill was $1470 and for that I don't really know what they did other than an oil change, a change of spark plugs, and "a required change of the final drive" complete with fluids and boots. Oh, they also decided to "adjust my clutch" so now it only catches at the tip of the lever, and I'm pretty sure the bike is feathering all the time (I say that because every so often I smell burning clutch). I cannot afford right now to take it in to WOLF to have it fixed, but that day is coming very soon.

And now for the pièce de resistance, service at Downtown BMW. After my first 1000km (really, it was 1760km), I took it in for the tune-up and oil change. They had the bike for close to TWO MONTHS during which they did an oil change, fried my alarm module, and then managed to seize my engine. After waiting for more than 6 weeks with no results and no estimated completion time, my very good friend Greg B went and spoke with the service manager and told him - in no uncertain terms - that he [Greg] and some other buddies will stage a very peaceful and quiet protest in front of the dealership and will inform every client walking in or out about the service my bike is receiving. Somehow, it was done within 48hrs later. And when I went to pick it up, they had "lost" my side cases... and following an all-out search by most of the garage staff, they found them and proceeded to install them back onto my NEW bike by using a rubber mallet because "they are new and they're a bit stiff". Needless to say, I'm never stepping foot near that dealership ever again!!

.. so yeah, Wolf BMW is the only BMW service shop in Ontario. The rest are just places that happen to have the logo on the front of the building.

Last edited:
I bought my bike at WOLF (in London) and serviced it there for the first 3yrs. Then I tried Open Road (in Newmarket) - and although they're really nice people, their attention falls short of acceptable limits. Three times, they "forgot" to tighten the oil cap and on my way home (to Scarborough) I had my pants sprayed from the thigh to the tip of the boot with oil. Once the cap actually flew off the engine cover - but I saw it and caught it in time (was at a light). They also lost my oil cap tightening tool... and the last straw was 2yrs ago in November when I took it in for a final oil change and tune-up and they lost my bottom skid plate. The manager told me that unless I can PROVE that the skid plate was on the bike, there's nothing they are willing to do. The cost of a 1200GS skid plate is in the upper $300s....

Upon a warm recommendation, I took the bike to Budd's this spring, just before the Ride to Conquer Cancer. I was told that, as part of the Moto Safety Team, I'd receive a 15% discount on the service because they're sponsoring the team. NOT THE CASE: I received no discount. The bike was "going to be finished in 4 days" yet 9 days later I was still waiting. Also, I took it in for a 90k service and was told to expect a charge of about $700+ for all the things they will be looking after. The final bill was $1470 and for that I don't really know what they did other than an oil change, a change of spark plugs, and "a required change of the final drive" complete with fluids and boots. Oh, they also decided to "adjust my clutch" so now it only catches at the tip of the lever, and I'm pretty sure the bike is feathering all the time (I say that because every so often i smell burning clutch). I cannot afford right now to take it in to WOLF to have it fixed, but that day is coming very soon.

And now for the piece de resistance, service at Downtown BMW. After my first 1000km (really, it was 1760km), I took it in for the tune-up and oil change. They had the bike for close to TWO MONTHS during which they did an oil change, fried my alarm module, and then managed to seize my engine. After waiting for more than 6 weeks with no results and no estimated completion time, my very good friend Greg B went and spoke with the service manager and told him - in no uncertain terms - that he [Greg} and some other buddies will stage a very peaceful and quiet protest in front of the dealership and will inform every client walking in or out about the service my bike is receiving. Somehow, it was done within 48hrs later. And when I went to pick ip up, they "lost" my side cases... and following an all-out search by most of the garage staff, they found them and proceeded to install them back onto my NEW bike by using a rubber mallet. Needless to say, I'm never stepping foot near that dealership ever again!!

.. so yeah, Wolf BMW is the only BMW service shop in Ontario. The rest are just places that happen to have the logo on the front of the building.

Yikes! Some serious crooks in those places, hopefully they found the guys responsible for stealing your skid plate and bags. Not cheap to replace and hard to imagine how any shop can operate like that. I would get that clutch looked at sooner rather then later. I had to replace the clutch on my old '06 GS last year and it was $1400 + for that job :eek:

I have only dealt with Wolf BMW and never had an issue or complaint. I do also use DualSport Plus for things like tires and brakes as they are cheaper then BMW for the parts and service. Both are good reputable dealers and service providers.

Endras for sales hands down! Service with John Parker and his team at Budd's, no contest! Tried Wolf for sales first but couldn't touch the deal I received from Durham BMW (Endras). Yes Wolf gives you a loaner bike for service, however, that is reflected in the OTD price at time of purchase. The loaner bikes need to be maintained too they told me. The choice is ultimately yours and the end result will be pure satisfaction!

Mercaholic..... why not just shop ALL the dealers and go for the best price.

For sales : we've had good experience with Wolf and Endras. On one purchase, the price Endras offered couldn't even be touched by Wolf. They had no idea how Endras could offer it so low. Which was a shame, cos Wolf treated me great on my bike purchase. Budd's add all kind of extra BS charges, so I ran from there. It pays to shop around!

Service : Just go to Budd's. Seriously. All the BM dealers are expensive for service, so you might as well go to the best one. Down to earth, friendly and knowledgeable people. Great bunch of guys there led by Johnnie Parker. The icing on the cake is that they will take the time to explain things, and answer any questions or concerns. Wolf service was ok, but Im not a fan of Ian. I could swear their mechanics function like preprogrammed robots. They want to keep you as far away from your bike as possible, and weren't really great with questions on the few times I had service there.

Happy shopping with whatever you choose!

Mercaholic..... why not just shop ALL the dealers and go for the best price.For sales : we've had good experience with Wolf and Endras. On one purchase, the price Endras offered couldn't even be touched by Wolf. They had no idea how Endras could offer it so low. Which was a shame, cos Wolf treated me great on my bike purchase. Budd's add all kind of extra BS charges, so I ran from there. It pays to shop around!Service : Just go to Budd's. Seriously. All the BM dealers are expensive for service, so you might as well go to the best one. Down to earth, friendly and knowledgeable people. Great bunch of guys there led by Johnnie Parker. The icing on the cake is that they will take the time to explain things, and answer any questions or concerns. Wolf service was ok, but Im not a fan of Ian. I could swear their mechanics function like preprogrammed robots. They want to keep you as far away from your bike as possible, and weren't really great with questions on the few times I had service there.Happy shopping with whatever you choose!
----------Good advice above. FWIW my 2 cents re BMW Toronto: Sales: Used to ride long time ago, then sat out for many years. Got the itch, got interested in the Ducati Multistrada 1200, went to GP Bikes. Long story short it was too tall. Went to a bunch of other dealerships around the GTA. I can honestly say that I was completely igored by the vast majority of sales staff - I am sure they were thinking can this old skinny little asian guy with glasses even ride ? Finally ended up at BMW Toronto downtown. Met the first really nice sales guy - Ben - who politely asked me if he could help me find something. Gave him a rundown on my quest for a bike and ended up buying a used 2009 R1200R based on his recommendation and assessment of my motorcycling history. He dissuaded me from getting into a K bike, probably a good move after not riding for a couple of decades. Loved the bike. Have gone back to him to upgrade recently. So on the sales side I have no issues, their bikes are expensive but not grossly out of line with the other dealers, and you only live once...Service: Had only minimal dealings. Routine checks were no issue. A couple of minor items came up - some *** took out one of my taillights in a parking lot and once had a nail in my rear tire. Both issues were dealt with promptly, i.e I called, brought the bike in the next day, they gave me a ride to work and back on the same day (for the taillight), or gave me a ride back the next day (for the rear tire). As someone has already mentioned bimmer service is not cheap but I don't have any nightmare stories to share. I did mention to the service manager at that time that his department was getting trashed on the internet (including GTAM which I had recently joined) and if they were going to do anything about it. He said that they revamped things considerably and was hoping that I would stick it out with them. At this point if I had a serious bike issue come up I am willing to give them a try - despite everything I have read on this forum. In my business you can't belive everything you read.My judgement may be clouded a bit as location and convenience for me are key.

I have no experience with Wolf, but for me Open Road in Newmarket beats Downtown and Endras for service and for pricing. About the same as Budd's but a lot closer to home for me. Definitely stay away from Downtown.

Back
Top Bottom