MWR Air Filters - WARNING | GTAMotorcycle.com

MWR Air Filters - WARNING

Boosted_H22A

Hey everyone. Just putting a warning out there for all those that are thinking about buying one, or have one already.

This is the result of the wrong information being shared from supplier to dealer.

If you purchase this filter be sure to check the measurements directly from MWR

Holy crap. What happened?

Sent from my tablet using my paws

I fail to see how an air filter can damage your valves. Please explain?

^^The supplier had measurement of 17mm for the height of the plate. The dealer sent instructions with a height of 27mm therefore didn't leave enough thread.

^If you look closely there is a bolt in the cylinder on top of the piston. That bolt came out of the filter that is pictured.....Note 3 bolts and one missing.

Saw this on ZX10R.net

This is a bad design. The fasteners securing that plate to the filter (which appears to sit in a non-stock location inside the airbox) can come loose, drop into the throttle bodies, then subsequently drop into the intake port, stopping the intake valve from closing, then the piston smashes into it, and you have the damage seen above.

Full story: http://www.zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=220162

Wow, talk about 1 in a million. OP, is that your bike on the 10R forum? Aside from the unfortunate event, sounds like you tricked it out quite well!

Also, who did your motor work?

Son of a ... Man I am really sorry to see that happen to you or anybody...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thats the worst air filter design I have ever seen. Sorry to see it happen to ya.

Just to clear something, Boosted_H22A (original poster) on this forum = "BOOSTED" on ZX-10R.net who is not the unfortunate person that this happened to, he's just making a public service announcement.

The person that this failure happened to was an American and the engine work in that case was done by Carpenter in the states, but the failure wasn't related to the engine work that they did - it just broke all of it ...

my mechanic friend tells me high performance parts= high dollar repairs. Its the three P's , price it out, pimp it out, part it out......

Wow, talk about 1 in a million. OP, is that your bike on the 10R forum? Aside from the unfortunate event, sounds like you tricked it out quite well!

Also, who did your motor work?

Son of a ... Man I am really sorry to see that happen to you or anybody...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thats the worst air filter design I have ever seen. Sorry to see it happen to ya.

Just to clear something, Boosted_H22A (original poster) on this forum = "BOOSTED" on ZX-10R.net who is not the unfortunate person that this happened to, he's just making a public service announcement.

The person that this failure happened to was an American and the engine work in that case was done by Carpenter in the states, but the failure wasn't related to the engine work that they did - it just broke all of it ...

Thanks Brian. Yes as mentioned this was not my bike, but it sucks to see something like this happen to anyone that spent thousands on head work.

On a side note, the supplier has stepped up and offered some help in the matter which is fantastic to see. Unfortunately MWR's customer service has been horrendous.

Back
Top Bottom