Mrs. Lightcycle's New Ride | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Mrs. Lightcycle's New Ride

My wife just picked up a new bike.

It's a 2023 Husqvarna Norden 901 Expedition!

husqvarna_expedition-X3.jpg

when did you guys ordered it? I spoke with GPbikes and they told me their allocation is only 2 Expeditions and those been spoken for the day this model was announced. the next one will be available next year :(

when did you guys ordered it? I spoke with GPbikes and they told me their allocation is only 2 Expeditions and those been spoken for the day this model was announced. the next one will be available next year :(
At the rate they are acquiring, the dealership probably calls them every time they get an allocation and ask him which one they want this time.

She put a deposit down early September 2022. And we were 2nd in line at that point!

I think it's the longest we've ever waited for a bike.

In 2021, I put a deposit on the Hypermotard in November, they delivered it in February. I thought *that* was a long wait...

Crazy market.

At the rate they are acquiring, the dealership probably calls them every time they get an allocation and ask him which one they want this time.

Not quite. But you know you have a close relationship with the dealer when they tell you that a personal cheque is fine.

I made a bank draft out anyway. But they didn't even check to see if there was anything in the envelope when we handed it over. :oops:

Small town business. I kinda like it.

Not quite. But you know you have a close relationship with the dealer when they tell you that a personal cheque is fine.

I made a bank draft out anyway. But they didn't even check to see if there was anything in the envelope when we handed it over. :oops:

Small town business. I kinda like it.
Those kinds relationships are the best.

Back when RFD was the go to buy/sell/trade spot in the GTA I used to do deals all the time for $1k+ and people wouldn’t even count the money I handed them. They knew I wasn’t risking 8 years of 55+ deals with 100% feedback for a few bucks

Congrats on the new addition to the family.

BTW I found a picture of your wife's wallet she always takes with her when heading into the garage. ;)

Hmmmmmm, Which key should I use today?:unsure::unsure::unsure:

1682781476658.png

Didn't she ride a 1250rs? Is it gone?

Nope still there. 🤪

Don't know who the bigger bike addict is, me or her...?
If my wife said she wasn't going to get back on a bike, I'd be happy to downsize to the 1250rs. Great looking bike.

If my wife said she wasn't going to get back on a bike, I'd be happy to downsize to the 1250rs. Great looking bike.

Funny you mention this.

There's a bit of street overlap with her Expedition and the RS. We were going to gauge if she was going to ride her RS at all, now that she has her ADV bike, and if she wasn't, I was given the go-ahead to trade it in for a sport bike. I was already window-shopping on-line!

Anyway, today was take-all-of-Neda's-bikes-out-for-a-ride day. I've previously ridden maybe 10 kms total on the RS, but this afternoon, I took it out for a longish ride: ~400 kms.

DSC_6075-X2.jpg

Oh man, was the seating position cramped. Upper body was fine, but my knees were killing me by the end of the ride. Legs don't like being bent up like that for hours on end. And this was just a sport-tourer, not a full blown sport bike. I think I just convinced myself out of owning a real crotch rocket. I've aged out of the (super)sport badly.

The upshot is, we're keeping the RS. It's sporty enough to satisfy my sport bike cravings. It's still a bit heavy for chicane-ary, but you can hang-off nicely on long sweepers on this bike. Plus, it looks great too.

Some pics of our rides over the last few days.

DSC_6105-X2.jpg

Neda had sold her F650GS a while back and she was in the market for an ADV bike to replace it.

When the original Norden first broke cover as a concept bike a few years ago, it was an interesting bike, but not compelling enough to want to put money down. The first production year came and went and we kept tabs on owner reviews regarding performance, weight, handling etc.

The Norden is based on the KTM 890 Adventure bike, and slotted somewhere between the base 890 Adventure and the off-road-oriented 890 Adventure R. The most interesting thing about this platform is the gas tank situated under the engine, which lowers the centre of gravity considerably. Makes the bike feel lighter and more agile.

The Norden 901 Expedition was leaked at a dealership meeting less than a year ago. It added quite a few upgrades to the base Norden: upgraded 48mm WP Xplor front forks (vs the base 43mm Apex), taller touring windshield, beefier wrap-around skid plate which also protects the gas tank, center stand, heated grips and seat, soft panniers included and Bold New Graphics.

At only 2K more, the newer version seemed like a bike that would be worth getting. Just the Xplor forks alone would have justified the price increase.

DSC_6071-X2.jpg

Contour map graphics. Such a gorgeous shade of blue!

The Expedition is basically the R1250GS Adventure version of the base Norden.

Some riding thoughts:

The bike is tall! The 35" seat doesn't tell the whole story. The heated seat is actually quite wide, which makes it very comfortable for touring, however, it splays the legs out and makes reaching for the ground at stops a bit more of a deliberate act. My 30" inseam is telling me that it's around the same height as the KTM 1290 Super Adventure R.

The bike is a bit underpowered. It's touted as one of the new "mid-weight Adventure motorcycles". But at 500 lbs with 100 hp, it's around the same specs as my old R1200GS, which was considered to be a flagship heavyweight 20 years ago. The parallel twin makes its power higher in the rev range, so compared to the boxer, it needs to be spooled up quite high to elicit any kind of grin-inducing kick from the engine.

The other model that often gets compared to the Norden is Ducati's Desert X. I was secretly hoping that Neda would pick this bike, but she likes the Husky better, and it matches her enduro FE501. The Desert X has the same engine as my Hypermotard and it's quite a bit more powerful than the 890 engine.

I have a sneaking suspicion that the Expedition model will soon house the KTM 1290 engine, and the base Norden will remain with the 890 engine. It currently feels like it's a flagship bike with a mid-weight engine in it. It would do a lot better with 160 hp vs the current 100 hp.

Still, 100 hp is fine for dirt and gravel roads. Anything more than that is just free wheel-spin. The off-road mode on the Expedition already limits power from the engine.

DSC_6045-X2.jpg

Expedition also comes standard with the base Norden's optional Explorer pack, which unlocks a ton of electronic goodies

The heat from the engine is insane. From the owner forums, the catalytic converter is the issue, and it's close enough to the rear shock that on hot days and stop-and-go traffic, the heat is enough to cook the shock. There are two popular mods that owners opt to do to solve this: a cat delete, and/or a heat shield between the cat and the rear shock. We're going to be doing the cat delete on first service.

Seating position is very comfortable, as is the wide seat. The tall windscreen blocks all air if you're 5'8" or shorter, because of the laminar effect created by the small opening in the middle of the windscreen. Very effective touring set up.

DSC_6035-X2.jpg

Wide bars gives lots of leverage for turns, the tires are Pirelli Rally Scorpion STRs which are supposedly 80/20. I've never tried these tires before. They've very street-biased, they perform very well on asphalt. Haven't gone too deep into the woods with these tires yet, don't think they're oriented for anything more than gravel roads.

As mentioned, I think they will make a flagship heavyweight Norden soon. Things they will probably upgrade from the current Expedition which are missing:

- 1290 V-twin engine from KTM
- hydraulic clutch
- full electronic suite including TPMS
- keyless ignition/fuel cap

DSCN4575-X2.jpg

Wife really likes the bike. It's not as torquey as her R1250RS, but definitely a step up from her F650GS. She's okay with the power if we're going to be hitting gravel roads often. She likes the near-telepathic handling in the twisties with the wide bars, and that it's super-comfortable which will make long riding days quite pleasant.

DSC_6078-X2.jpg

Two thumbs up! Or two fingers up...

Last edited:
While I never was a fan of most "adventure" bike styling - This is looks amazing, very rugged looking yet thoughtful styling.
Awesome bike, I've been toying with a switch as my riding habits have changed and this one is now on my wish list.

While I never was a fan of most "adventure" bike styling - This is looks amazing, very rugged looking yet thoughtful styling.

Lately, there's been definite shift in the ADV market, away from the BMW's Angry Bird beak design, towards the retro 90s Dakar racer design, similar to the Cagiva Elefant/Africa Twin styling:

olddakar.jpg

You can see it in today's Tenere 700, Desert X and the Africa Twin:

newdakar.jpg

Congrats the Norden 901 Expedition is a great looking bike,love the colour(y) I ordered my 890r beginning of December at GP got it mid April.Could'nt imagine waiting for a Expedition,never seen one here.

How did Neda like her F650GS?

I have the F700GS. 90% the same bike but the newer one got dual disk front brakes, electronic suspension adjustment, a couple aesthetic tweaks, and most importantly: no more stupid turn signal controls lol

Congrats on the new baby!

Back
Top Bottom