Moving to BC | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Moving to BC

Called a few moving places, tried 2 container drop places that just drop a container at your place then you pack it and they truck it out. Cubeit said $7000 Pods was $4500, called another place called hk movers in Brampton and they said $1900.

Called a few moving places, tried 2 container drop places that just drop a container at your place then you pack it and they truck it out. Cubeit said $7000 Pods was $4500, called another place called hk movers in Brampton and they said $1900.
On the reverse run, we used Big Steel Box, as they were the best combination of container size, cost, and delivery flexibility. I think we paid just over $4000 per 20' container, including a drop-off and pickup at each end in Maple Ridge and Hamilton (make sure they factor those into your quotes), but that was before Covid and heavy rain made BC shipping even more complex. Storage was $150/mo per container. The containers are sea cans, so much more solidly build than the Pods we used for a shorter move. As we moved in stages, they doubled as storage for a while as well. The only drawback vs Pods is they don't have the fancy loading trucks, so the container needs to be tilted to load and unload, which means you need to take a bit of extra care when packing.

It's actually a relatively relaxed way to move, as you can pack and load at your leisure, and then do the same on delivery. It also meant we saved on movers, as we could load and unload ourselves whenever it was convenient (along with some help from gracious family for the heavier stuff). No panicked moving day, no sketchy movers suddenly taking your stuff hostage with last-minute rate hikes, and any damage is your own fault...

On the reverse run, we used Big Steel Box, as they were the best combination of container size, cost, and delivery flexibility. I think we paid just over $4000 per 20' container, including a drop-off and pickup at each end in Maple Ridge and Hamilton (make sure they factor those into your quotes), but that was before Covid and heavy rain made BC shipping even more complex. Storage was $150/mo per container. The containers are sea cans, so much more solidly build than the Pods we used for a shorter move. As we moved in stages, they doubled as storage for a while as well. The only drawback vs Pods is they don't have the fancy loading trucks, so the container needs to be tilted to load and unload, which means you need to take a bit of extra care when packing.

It's actually a relatively relaxed way to move, as you can pack and load at your leisure, and then do the same on delivery. It also meant we saved on movers, as we could load and unload ourselves whenever it was convenient (along with some help from gracious family for the heavier stuff). No panicked moving day, no sketchy movers suddenly taking your stuff hostage with last-minute rate hikes, and any damage is your own fault...
For our last move we used a combination of pods (cubeit through costco) and a mover. Pod was great for slow pack/unpack (lawnmowers, tools, full boxes, summer tires etc). Furniture went in the truck. Much better experience than a move in a single day. Obviously not a long distance move so things are a little different for the op.

15 years in north Burnaby. Moody and poco are good.
I traveled for work every square foot of that province including the island. Only not North East. Highway 16 from PG to Rupert was alway my fav. A blast to brackendale in the fall is fun. I prefer bc even over Europe to be honest. EVERYthing costs more in BC.
First and last thing , less people and you get out of the city much quicker regardless of were you are. It's just where near the population of GTA. Remeber that when you think about what to do with your bike. It will cost for what ever you do.
Have fun and bikes alway go on ferry first.

Can’t you ride all year round in BC? I’ve been looking at the weather in Vancouver and around, it’s usually +3 to +8 in the winter

Can’t you ride all year round in BC? I’ve been looking at the weather in Vancouver and around, it’s usually +3 to +8 in the winter

Well, who wants to ride in the Vancouver area? Any of the curvy mountain roads just about anywhere in BC are shut down for the winter season, just as roads are in the east.

You can ride all year in the Lower Mainland. Lot's of backroads between Vancouver and Chilliwack that you can enjoy all season if you don't mind the cold and rain. Sea to sky run from Vancouver to Squamish is always fun but the weather can be very unpredictable in the winter months. If you see a Street Triple with Ontario plates say hi - it's me :LOL:.

You can ride all year in the Lower Mainland. Lot's of backroads between Vancouver and Chilliwack that you can enjoy all season if you don't mind the cold and rain. Sea to sky run from Vancouver to Squamish is always fun but the weather can be very unpredictable in the winter months. If you see a Street Triple with Ontario plates say hi - it's me :LOL:.
That’s good to hear, I don’t mind the colder temps just need good rain gear now, lol I’ll look out for you! I’ll be there mid April, how come you’re still on ontario plates??

Back
Top Bottom