Moving from Ontario to BC Insurance question? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Moving from Ontario to BC Insurance question?

Just a heads up:

back in 2017 I had my M2 for a while and had to switch my drivers licence to BC for work only to find out they didn't recognize the M2 category in BC province. Only full M. I took the Humber weekend course too but didn't matter to them.
The explanation was licencing is provincial not federal and after talking to over 5 people about it turns out they are right and you can't transfer M1 or M2 once switching your categories from ON to BC ( keep in mind at that moment I had ACZM2 and everything got transfer but M2).
So basically you would have to do your motorcycle licencing in BC all over again.

Double check that but if nothing changed since 4 years ago you might end up on a same boat as I did lol

good luck

Just a heads up:

back in 2017 I had my M2 for a while and had to switch my drivers licence to BC for work only to find out they didn't recognize the M2 category in BC province. Only full M. I took the Humber weekend course too but didn't matter to them.
The explanation was licencing is provincial not federal and after talking to over 5 people about it turns out they are right and you can't transfer M1 or M2 once switching your categories from ON to BC ( keep in mind at that moment I had ACZM2 and everything got transfer but M2).
So basically you would have to do your motorcycle licencing in BC all over again.

Double check that but if nothing changed since 4 years ago you might end up on a same boat as I did lol

good luck
Well that sucks. My wife had a similar situation on a move to qc but they chose to deal with it by automatically converting g2 to g.

This may be true, but if you can prove your riding history, via an MTO driver's abstract which shows when you obtained your M1 and M2, you can get your waiting periods waived in BC.

So if you've been riding for more than a year on an M2, you can step through the process of getting your BC Motorcycle Learners Permit (equivalent to the MTO written M1 test), Class 6L/8L (equiv MTO Parking Lot M2) and then full Class 6/8 (full road test M) in quick succession, barring waitlists at ICBC for booking a test due to COVID.

Showing your MTO driver's abstract to ICBC is also key to reducing your insurance rates, as your Ontario history will be counted towards your # of years having a license.

Back
Top Bottom