Mototrcycle Auctions for Write off Bikes? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Mototrcycle Auctions for Write off Bikes?

rallye97

Anyone know of any motorcycle auctions where you can pick up bikes that have been written off by the insurance companies? I am looking to picking up an engine with the transmission that I can use in a go-kart.

Any websites that I can look up to see whats going up for sale on the auction block?

Not sure if you know this, but you would have to have a dealer's license to buy from auctions.
My girlfriend and I went to go pick some stuff from her car after it was written off and they had about 35 bikes that were write offs. (ducati, busa, R1, zx6, etc...)
When I asked one of the guys there he said you need a dealer's license to do so and he wasn't sure when they will be auctioned off!

some auto wholesalers will do this for you:

put together a list of bikes you would want, and the most you are willing to pay for them in different conditions.
the autowholesaler will go to auctions and try and find said vehicles for you. thats how my buddy got his car, so i would assume it works with bikes aswell (aurora autowholesaler sells both motorcycles and cars, they would prob do it)

I guess that would leave me with 2 options:
1) Anyone crash there bike recently and want to buy it back from the insurance company?
2) Anyone with a dealers license willing to go to a bike auction?

I don't want to spend to much on the engine, any 600cc engine would work just fine as long as it comes with the ECU.

but you would have to have a dealer's license to buy from auctions.

My dads friend, about a year ago, went to one, put a low ball bid down for a cruiser. It didnt go to anyone, and 4 months later he gets a call to come pick it up. So he did. $1700 for a 2005 Vulcan 500.

Last September he did the same with a snowmobile, it didnt sell and in November he got a call and got it for $700 - its an older one 95' but runs and flys like crazy.

He's not a dealer, he work in construction (siding)

Call auctions up and see if things have changed. They have them in the Barrie area, London, Bolton and a few others im missing.

I guess that would leave me with 2 options:
1) Anyone crash there bike recently and want to buy it back from the insurance company?
2) Anyone with a dealers license willing to go to a bike auction?

I don't want to spend to much on the engine, any 600cc engine would work just fine as long as it comes with the ECU.

there was a banner at the top of the page a few months ago, mayb someone knows what i am talking about, but its a guy who goes to salvage auctions and has lots of parts availble, i forget what his buisness is called but that would be a good spot to start. im sure someone knows what i am talking about

theres allways part-out adds in the forsale section here and on kijiji all the time if you need just the motor

My dads friend, about a year ago, went to one, put a low ball bid down for a cruiser. It didnt go to anyone, and 4 months later he gets a call to come pick it up. So he did. $1700 for a 2005 Vulcan 500.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but once the insurance writes off a vehicle, isnt it branded Salvage after that?
Wouldn't that mean that that bike is no longer registerable for road use?

If this true, then the only point of buying back a salvaged bike is for parts?

I do not care about the title on the bike. All I want is a working engine with all the parts that I can adapt with some modifications and use it on a go-kart. Why have a little 5-10 hp lawn mower engine when you can use a 80-100 hp engine from a bike and scare yourself when you take it for a ride.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but once the insurance writes off a vehicle, isnt it branded Salvage after that?
Wouldn't that mean that that bike is no longer registerable for road use?

If this true, then the only point of buying back a salvaged bike is for parts?

not all bikes are branded some have clean title, and your head would shake at what is clean and what is not.

IWhy have a little 5-10 hp lawn mower engine when you can use a 80-100 hp engine from a bike and scare yourself when you take it for a ride.

Because it's too damn heavy. Go Karts are normally agile little buggers, you are making a muscle car. Super fast in a straight line, won't corner or stop worth a s#!t. If you were thinking dune buggy, more power could make sense.

Are you taking this to tracks or do you have your own? I doubt any commercial track would let you use that thing (they even kicked JohnnyP off when he brought out his 125cc pit bike as it was too fast).

Your right about being able to bring it to the track (won't be allowed). It will most likely be a small dune buggy/go kart. The main purpose of this project is to challenge myself and to learn more about a number of mechanical and technical aspects when it comes to motorcycle engines. The weight will definitely be a drawback when it comes to cornering. But its something we are willing to sacrifice in order to get the speed and thrills. Here is the frame is are thinking of using.

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-other-Murray-Explorer-Go-Kart-W0QQAdIdZ282723729

Your right about being able to bring it to the track (won't be allowed). It will most likely be a small dune buggy/go kart. The main purpose of this project is to challenge myself and to learn more about a number of mechanical and technical aspects when it comes to motorcycle engines. The weight will definitely be a drawback when it comes to cornering. But its something we are willing to sacrifice in order to get the speed and thrills. Here is the frame is are thinking of using.

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-other-Murray-Explorer-Go-Kart-W0QQAdIdZ282723729

In the dirt, your toy will be a ton of fun. Try to get some front brakes in there so you survive your first ride, but it looks like a good project.

Brakes are definietly going to be one of the main components we don't want to overlook. Plus we are going to beef up the roll cage just in case we decide to push it to the limits. A real good 5 point harness and a good seat are a must as well.

I have a dunebuggy with a 350 at my parents place. It has full coilovers,autolock diff, 4 point harnesses etc. Try to mount the seat on rubber (or something similar). If you bang the frame off a rock, it is like a sledgehammer to the base of your spine.

You are probably better off starting from scratch on your frame (if you can). If you are planning on 100hp, you need better suspension, better brakes, better rollcage, stiffer frame, etc. There probably isn't much you could save from that dunebuggy if you want to improve the suspension. The wheels and tires look good, but I don't know if they could hold the power either. You aren't talking about a slight performance bump here, you are making something in an entirely different class.

Back
Top Bottom