Motorcycles | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Motorcycles

Damn.

And the trash-talking continues even off the track.

Trash-talk? Naw...lol!
I just thought it was funny that he was trying for months to sell it and after me using it a couple of times someone just happened to be looking for that generation of R6 for track/race. I responded to his Kijiji ‘wanted’ ad, named my price, got ‘talked down’ a bit and the deal was done.
No trash-talking - it’s just funny how some things turn out.

Two regrets in selling:

1. '72 Kawasaki H2 triple. My high school ride. Took it everywhere and luved the uncontrollable wheelies. Rode it till the pistons slapped loudly.

2. '02 Suzuki Bandit 1200. Carbs, air-cooled, fast, nimble and light weight. Sold it at 22K kms, the buyer contacted me two summers later telling me he managed two cross North American trips on it, 92K km and all he had to replace was one oil cooler lines.

Bike I can part with today:

1. '12 Suzuki GSX1200FA. Only 14K so far km and on my 3rd fuel pump. No wonder I leave it in my garage cuz it can't be trusted

Regret is the universal one: My first bike. It was a metallic grey '88 Honda Hawk GT, bought on the basis of a recommendation in the back of The Complete Idiot's Guide to Motorcycles by Darwin Holmstrom. I scoured the old paper 'Boat, Bike and RV Trader' every week, and eventually found what I thought was a deal. Turns out I I dodged a huge bullet by very luckily getting a 'salvage' tag from Alberta removed.

I got into the Hawk GT forums, which were full of racers worshiping at the altar of Hord (for good reason), and ruined a fantastic street bike by trying to squeeze horsepower out of a motor that didn't have much to offer. I did all the bolt-on things everyone else was doing: Penske shock, Race Tech cartridge emulators and fork springs, six piston AP caliper, M4 exhaust, Corbin seat, bar-end mirrors, etc. But the Stage 3 jet kit and Uni foam pod filters really killed the fun, as it took a bike with an already tiny tank and added horrible mileage to where I regularly got only 130 km out of a fill-up. I ended up getting rid of it as part of my move out west, and I would love to have it back as a Sunday back road scratcher or for track days. I'd put the stock jetting and airbox/filter back on and enjoy the lazy torque, not worry about peak power.

The one I couldn't be rid of fast enough was sadly my next bike: once settled in BC, I went out and bought an '08 ZX-14R. I was looking for something comfy that I could tour and commute on, but also sporty enough to handle twisties and possibly an occasional track day. It was a great bike, but it turned out I was doing a lot more sport riding than touring, and I didn't enjoy the weight in transitions. The easy speed was also a constant threat to my license, and it wasn't really that comfy for big mileage. They're great bikes, just not for me...

Only owned 3 bikes and 2 were Suzuki Katana's. Don't regret getting out of the Katana's for a minute. I had nothing against them, just don't have anything for them either. Current is a BMWR1150RT and looking to add to that, maybe a K1200S or Honda VFR.

My current daily rider is a Hawk GT.
TRULY a wonderful motorcycle for the street. I describe them as: Grand Prix frame, moped motor.
I rode my first one for a couple of years, as you say "Sunday back road scratcher or for track days" and decided it needed more
I got a couple more, the current one; 700cc, JDM close ratio trans, Fox Shock, VFR swing arm, VFR wheels, VFR cartridge 45mm front end, yadda yadda yadda
I have run out of gas SO MANY times it's embarrassing... even knowing I'm not getting anything approaching "gas mileage". I was running without a fuel pump and I'd get about 10km on reserve. That got old fast.
if you want one, I have a nice STOCK '88 I'll sell you.

Really miss my Yamaha TDR. It was just different and unique, and I think it was a Motard before there were Motards :)

No. The TDR came about because of the WWoS Superbikers races 4 years earlier.

I describe them as: Grand Prix frame, moped motor.
Pretty much sums it up. I bought mine in around 1999 when the SV650 had just come out, and it was making almost 70 hp at the wheel vs 40-45 for the Hawk GT despite near identical displacement. Torque was less of a gap, but it definitely highlighted how gentle that Honda motor is. If I recall, it was descended from the 500 motor in the Ascot...

The GP frame and swingarm, on the other hand, were lovely. Extruded and cast aluminum that looked an awful lot like the RC30 chassis, only more on display. It was one thing the SV could never match.
I rode my first one for a couple of years, as you say "Sunday back road scratcher or for track days" and decided it needed more
I got a couple more, the current one; 700cc, JDM close ratio trans, Fox Shock, VFR swing arm, VFR wheels, VFR cartridge 45mm front end, yadda yadda yadda
I have run out of gas SO MANY times it's embarrassing... even knowing I'm not getting anything approaching "gas mileage". I was running without a fuel pump and I'd get about 10km on reserve. That got old fast.
Nice! I never got as far as replacing the swingarm and forks. The racers loved putting CBR forks in, if I recall, with VFR swingarm and wheels. I definitely remember a twinge of panic every time it stumbled, requiring the reserve petcock. Doing math in my head about how far back the last gas station was, and whether it was safer to turn around or keep going. I got more than 10 km to empty, but not by much.
if you want one, I have a nice STOCK '88 I'll sell you.
Oh, temptation. So much. If I wasn't blowing my current bike budget on my RC51, I'd be all over that. Would be so much fun to do it up right after the ways I went wrong...

I wish I'd have kept my 79 250 Maico and my 81 LC. My first 75 TL as well. I didn't regret selling my 97 300 EXC. Too damn tall.

My 1991 CR500R and my 1980 YZ50.

When I grow up Ima have to get myself one of those Indian Bobbers...but I'm happy with the Kawi for now...!

maxresdefault.jpg
Really like the Scouts. I've ridden one and unfortunately they are really small, and I'm only 6'.

My 1982 RD350LC. What a sweet ride - or seemed like it. Guy I bought it from had done the top end. Nursed it through a few tanks of gas and then got on it hard. Siezed up at about 180kph. Didn't drop it.
Turns out the motor work included a cast yammie piston and a forged Wiesco slug that didn't expand at the same rate.
I had big fat beemer I was glad to see leave my driveway

The one I miss and the one I didn't get rid of fast enough was of course my first bike a 1981 CB650. If I could find a mint one I would probably pay too much for it. But it had been neglected before I got it and I spent a fortune (in 16-20 year old money) keeping it going. Zdeno sold me an exhaust that "almost fit" to replace the original chrome one that rusted out. Put a new top end in because it wouldn't go faster than 110km/h (and that didn't change after it was "fixed". Leaked oil all over my jeans. It hated the rain. But it took me everywhere. I wish I had it today.

I wish I never sold my XR650L.

I had kitted it well for dual sport with re-valved and re-sprung suspension, smog deletion and carb mod/re-jet, big IMS tank, Summers Racing fork brace and a bunch of other bits.

It worked well, and I could hustle it through the Ganaraska pretty quickly, at least until the weight would tire me out.

I wish I never bought the Harley FXR.

It was a good looking bike, and the power characteristics were pleasant but it was WAAAY too heavy and poorly suspended for the roads around Northumberland County and regions. I also found it incredibly uncomfortable. Excellent dealer experience though at the now gone place in Peterborough.
It was also the most annoying selling experience on kijiji with no-shows and time wasting calls/emails.

Attachments

• XRLweb.jpg
    XRLweb.jpg
    558.3 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_3880  - kijiji.jpg
    IMG_3880 - kijiji.jpg
    587.2 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom