Motorcycles with no ownership | GTAMotorcycle.com

Motorcycles with no ownership

ANDRASTA

Been a while since I posted...

I have been looking at a lot of older motorcycles and I am noticing the owner states that the bike either does not come with ownership or simply states, "No ownership papers."

I am just wondering if anyone on here has experience with this and how one would go about getting the ownership if they are interested in a specific bike? Is there anything specific to watch out for? I am mostly into bikes that are pre 1985.

Thanks.

VIN search with DOT.
If the seller can't or won't provide a VIN the bike is either too antique to have one or potentially stolen imho

can get a UVIP with just the VIN, no ownership required
if the seller is not the last listed owner, walk away
if seller is listed as last owner........

MTO has an affidavit document purchaser and seller complete and sign
if the ownership is missing, it then gets notarized by a commissioner of oaths

states that seller is lawful owner since____and the details of purchase/purchaser
this will allow you to transfer it to you with a bill of sale

some SO offices are going to balk at this, because they don't understand it
and some will question a VIN from an old bike that may only be 9 digits
but it can be done

IIRC, there us a way forward with affidavits to generate a new ownership. As trials said, run the vin through every database you can find to check for trouble. Try to pull UVIP and see who last registered owner was.

Sometimes the original importer can provide you with the information as to whether it was brought in by them or 'gray market'.
Call customer service for the particular company with the VIN.

Sadly, is almost the same money to insure a cheap older bike as a brand new one, that's what discourages a lot of old model bikes being plated for the road.
What are you going to do with it?
pre-85 is a huge range of bikes, could mean you just like old bikes, want to tinker, hope to modify it, purchasing on a tight budget, or planning to break a specific world land speed record :D

If you have a short VIN you will have to be patient with the clerk - they can call their hotlinenand get a file number that will find the short VIN in their computer.
UVIP are public knowledge and anyone can get a UVIP if the clerk can find the VIN.
With the UVIP you know the last registered owner so seaerch h(is) name in facebook etc.. when come up blank do up an affidavit outlining your efforts using the magic words set out in Service Ontario's info sheet.
There used to be a good wiki on this on the site.

Sadly, is almost the same money to insure a cheap older bike as a brand new one, that's what discourages a lot of old model bikes being plated for the road.

That's not necessarily true. I have a 1981 GPZ that I'm paying ~$300 a year for for full coverage. My 2013 GS is at least 3 times that.

Put the 1981 GPZ on your shopping list (y)
& ;) put a turbo charger on it!

676154099e976413e.jpg

Back
Top Bottom