Motorcycle vs Car vs Bicycle Commute | GTAMotorcycle.com

Motorcycle vs Car vs Bicycle Commute

Different Spokes TV

I've commuted on all three and find the motorcycle the most fun. But the other two have advantages as well. Do you feel in danger when commuting on your motorcycle, especially if you're on the highway?

Last edited:
Short distances downtown in the dry, bicycle would be pretty quick, especially in rush hour. Any distance and the MC wins....but in the rain and extreme cold the car is more comfortable. Parking and maneuvering the car in heavy traffic is a pain though.

25km ish commute to work in traffic door to door, one way.

Time-wise
Bicycle : 1h approximately
Public Transit: 1h approximately if i have express go trains
Motorcyle: 45m to 1h approximately
Car: 1h approximately

Cost-wise
Bicycle wins every single time. I pay 10/month for inside bike lockers and shower at work (which i use for motorbike gear storage too)
Transit i'm "forced" to use during the winter months but costs me about $16 per day.
I've decided to never commute by car to work as parking downtown is cost prohibitive.
Motorcycle is pretty low in terms of gas / insurance and i can park in random spots to avoid paying for parking.

Enjoyment-wise i'd say bicycle and motorcycle are high up there. I don't encounter many idiot cagers, and they're mostly civilized...now maybe that's cause i lived 5 years in brampton that my standards are low. But they both bring different types of fun... motorcyle gives me adrenaline where as bicycling effort gives me endorphins. Transit gives me free naps.

A problem with cycling this distance is you've got to build the fitness to be able to consistently commute that way, especially true when you're doing other types of training/physical activity at the same time. With the other ones, it's a no problemo! But i'm kinda greatful that i started throwing that in the mix cause i can attribute about 20lbs lost last summer to cycling. And it shows a good example to my kids, staying active and all that jibba jabba.

Oh and i also hate being stuck on the schedule of public transit, and their delays. So much so that i've started running home instead of waiting for the bus after getting off the go train, and i beat the bus on most good days!

You should have done it as a poll :|
No

Bicycle, on the road are you kidding! those things are dangerous.

Commuting to me it’s a no brainer to go with the car. Drink a coffee, listen to some music and get ready for the day with either heat or A/C going. I ride for fun and that’s it, in riding over 10 years I don’t think I’ve ever commuted by motorcycle. I have started to go into work on Saturdays with the plan to ride in some days but I’ll be pretty flexible when I start and leave for the day.

I rode my bicycle for years to work downtown on college st in every weather imaginable. It was a blast and I was always in shape even though it was 4km each way.
I moved uptown where I now commute downtown on a motorcycle. Fastest commute 22 mins at 3am and longest time 55 mins at rush hour. Average time 35-40 mins.

I would decide daily. Though if I lived in the GTA and was riding through that type of congestion I would pick the car or train every time. As Max blackcamaro said I ride for fun. No fun waddling through traffic in the heat.

Bicycle is out of the question for me.
Riding my motorcycle is best because it usually leads to me quitting early and effin off for some saddle time.

My commute is under 10KM, so riding always seems like more effort than it's worth to me by the time I gear up and then have to stow all my gear at work, etc. I also hate wearing long pants in the summer so I also have the dilemma of riding to work in long pants only to change into shorts, and then back again. I've been known to cheat a few times over the years and ride in shorts to work, but I always feel all sorts of wrong doing that.

In the end, it's more work vs enjoyment at that point.

If I had a longer commute, hands down I'd do it on the bike. I have a radio and a cup holder for my coffee, so temperatures aside (you take what you get on a bike, isn't that why we all ride?) I'd find it way more enjoyable vs the cage.

Used to ride a bicycle to work. It was not fun and was more to avoid the ttc.

Now that I have a motorcycle I haven’t been on a bicycle in years and don’t miss it at all.

I work downtown so driving my car (and paying for parking) is basically out of the question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I've commuted for many years on the motorcycle but as of last year really slowed that down. I think my old age (38M) at the time just made it much more comfortable to take the car or GO Bus from Square One to Yonge/Sheppard. I'd love to commute by bicycle but way too far!
Now the bike is strictly enjoyment as being on the 401 to work was great at 5:45am...coming home at 4pm on the other hand...kill me now. Especially in the mid-summer heat.

20km each way, i go out of my way to avoid the highways on the bike so i can enjoy a longer ride.

I'm on 2 every day the heaven's won't open up on me.

I've been commuting from Highland Creek (Scarborough) to downtown T.O for around 10 years, mostly year round, late into December till first heavy snow fall and in the last few years have even been riding a few times in Jan, Feb March. It gets me out of bed with something to look forward to. Beats the the ****** red rocket any day. But when I do need to take the red rocket, I read and sleep something I can't do riding ;P

I work from home, so basically only leave the house to shop and gym. If I need to shop, it's below 9 degrees or it's going to rain hard, I take the car. Otherwise I take the CBR. I have never ridden a bike to work, though it seems like it would be handy if it worked for me.

Last week i rode my motorcycle to work. I do feel less secure compare to a car on the highway. One the way in I rode along lake shore, i think i enjoyed the ride more than the way back home on the QEW. I do ride bicycle (road bike) on sunday but up north in caledon only.

Last week i rode my motorcycle to work. I do feel less secure compare to a car on the highway. One the way in I rode along lake shore, i think i enjoyed the ride more than the way back home on the QEW. I do ride bicycle (road bike) on sunday but up north in caledon only.

I feel slightly safer in a certain way on the motorcycle as there's more maneuverability, more exit options than in the car, i "surf the wave" in traffic. The car makes me feel constrained to the flow of traffic, like just following a wave, on a boat without paddles. The bicycle is more like swimming in my own lane.

Gotta say lately, it's making me avoid QEW and making take browns line down (which is a mess due to construction) and then lakeshore.
I somewhat enjoy it as it's a better and more predictable flow than the crawlway

Back
Top Bottom