Motorcycle supershow - used bikes experience | GTAMotorcycle.com

Motorcycle supershow - used bikes experience

OverrRyde

Hi everyone, looking for some input from anyone who has been and/or dealt in the used market at the supershow.

I am currently saving some money to be able to buy my first ride in 2019. I will be buying used and older bike. Has anyone here ever purchased from the used market at the supershow? Are the deals worth it or should i just hold off until later in winter/spring and buy then for a better deal? If i would estimate, my budget would probably be around 2k to spend on a bike.

Any info appreciated!
thanks!

In my opinion, this time of year is good to buy a bike, but so can spring be, if you start looking early. You may have more choice of bikes in the spring when more bikes are readily put up for sale. Especially when the weather warms up! I sold a bike last spring, had it listed for a couple weeks, no interest. As soon as we had the first warm weekend.. BOOM! bike was gone on the Monday. There are deals to be had on older bikes too.
I wouldn't just limit shopping for a bike at the SuperShow

Better deals on Kijiji IMO. Best time to buy is from now till March. I've only ever been to one show and did not find the used bike deals to be enticing.

The show tends to be roughly ~20% overpriced from what I have seen, although maybe you can get the owners contact info and work out a deal after the fact if you find something?

I would do the searching now online, this when you'll find some that don't want to store it or just want to let it go.

2k is not a lot BUT it is what I've spent on the first two bikes I have ever owned(currently on the second)

First was a 78 Honda CB400 for 2k.. had to go to guelph to pick it up...
Current is a 99 Honda CBR600F4 for 2k.. had to go to Huntsville to pick it up...

There are good deals out there for 2k but you may have to look outside the GTA (assuming you live in the GTA) to get a good deal on something you like... Going out of town can save you quite a bit if you find the right bike,

You should also factor in at least another 1k more for everything else you may need for the bike minus insurance..

- Bike could need work.. You'll find this out when you safety it
- Safety Cert.
- Gear (Helmet + Jacket is easy 500+)
- Tax on the bike when registering
- Any possible old parking tickets you may have need to be paid to register

On top of that you're going to need to get some insurance.. they may ask you to pay the premium upfront which could be anywhere from 1k - .... It can get expensive...

2k will get you a decent bike.. but you'll need more to get it on the road.
Mind you this is based on my own experience...

Last edited:
I've bought and sold 2 used bikes in the last 3 years, if you can look outside the GTA as well. Lots of good deals a little further like Kingston, London, Windsor...etc and since the population is less, negotiating a price is easier I found. A uhaul trailer is $14 for hauling it.

2k is not a lot BUT it is what I've spent on the first two bikes I have ever owned(currently on the second)

First was a 78 Honda CB400 for 2k.. had to go to guelph to pick it up...
Current is a 99 Honda CBR600F4 for 2k.. had to go to Huntsville to pick it up...

There are good deals out there for 2k but you may have to look outside the GTA (assuming you live in the GTA) to get a good deal on something you like... Going out of town can save you quite a bit if you find the right bike,

You should also factor in at least another 1k more for everything else you may need for the bike minus insurance..

- Bike could need work.. You'll find this out when you safety it
- Safety Cert.
- Gear (Helmet + Jacket is easy 500+)
- Tax on the bike when registering
- Any possible old parking tickets you may have need to be paid to register

On top of that you're going to need to get some insurance.. they may ask you to pay the premium upfront which could be anywhere from 1k - .... It can get expensive...

2k will get you a decent bike.. but you'll need more to get it on the road.
Mind you this is based on my own experience...

Noted!

I am good with gear, had to get some new and some handmedowns for my course i recently completed. Will keep in mind any possible extra cash needed for repairs. thanks for that.

I've bought and sold 2 used bikes in the last 3 years, if you can look outside the GTA as well. Lots of good deals a little further like Kingston, London, Windsor...etc and since the population is less, negotiating a price is easier I found. A uhaul trailer is $14 for hauling it.

I really don't mind going out of the city for a good deal, i will keep this in mind as well!

thanks everyone! I kinda got the answer i was looking for. It seems to be that people may be overpricing their bikes at the show, as i suspected would be case. I am sure there could be a deal to be had but maybe not within my budget. It is still a long was ahead before January, nevermind spring time!

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom