Motorcycle plated under incorporated business? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Motorcycle plated under incorporated business?

Ares223

Hi there, I haven't ridden for many years but am getting back into the sport. My cars are currently plated under my business, so I am wondering if I can do the same with motorcycle plates or if there any restriction with this? Thanks.

PS I'm in Ontario

Last edited:
Curious about this too.

I think the short answer is no but I have been wrong before.

The advantages being?

I’m sure you can have the vehicle ownership changed to a corporation. Not sure if insurance will be any better and then you are likely needing to ride the bike for business purposes.

A friend of mine makes small trailers and his HD Ultra was under his business and used for delivering/picking up parts etc.

But, I think it got harder for them to find insurance and when they did, it wasn’t advantageous.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The advantages being?

I’m sure you can have the vehicle ownership changed to a corporation. Not sure if insurance will be any better and then you are likely needing to ride the bike for business purposes.

A friend of mine makes small trailers and his HD Ultra was under his business and used for delivering/picking up parts etc.

But, I think it got harder for them to find insurance and when they did, it wasn’t advantageous.

The advantages being?

Thanks for the reply. I'm not looking for any advantages and nor does the cost a factor. My fleet of vehicles is all under my business and I want to keep everything that way regardless of cost.

Reason for getting back on two wheels this time around is I personally do 6-8 small deliveries in my area as a part of my day to day so it would be nice to be able to hop on my moto and go.

If this can be done as well I will put the bike under my business, but I want to be sure before I buy a bike this weekend.

Would be wise to speak with your current insurance provider to see what the rules are.

If you have vehicles in the corporate name the bike should be the same procedure using your business number. Insurance may be the hard part as it departs from the normal.

I don’t think it matters whether it’s a motorcycle or car/van/truck.

Call your insurer to confirm, but for registration purposes I don’t see any issue. SO doesn’t care what the business does, and it could be nothing but a courier business to them.

Thanks for everyone's input. I got a hold of service Ontario and they said it's the exact same procedure as with my cars. As long as one has a RIN# they're good to go for any motor vehicle.

Thanks for everyone's input. I got a hold of service Ontario and they said it's the exact same procedure as with my cars. As long as one has a RIN# they're good to go for any motor vehicle.
Let us know about insurance. I suspect it will be crazy under a fleet policy but life is full of mysteries.

A corporation is a legal entity; so there's no reason why the bike couldn't be owned by the business... now as has been mentioned up thread; insurance may be a different animal.

All my company vehicles are owned by the corporation - all the drivers (or potential drivers) are on file with my insurance, and I pay a rate based on the risk profile that pool of drivers represents. I had one employee get a DUI; he had to be specifically excluded from driving company vehicles for 3 years after he got his licence back; as a for instance - if I didn't have that exclusion letter on file, they wouldn't insure us.

If the OP's the only driver/rider - it may not be too difficult to arrange - but if there are any other parties on the policy, I'm guessing it'll be no beuno.

A corporation is a legal entity; so there's no reason why the bike couldn't be owned by the business... now as has been mentioned up thread; insurance may be a different animal.

All my company vehicles are owned by the corporation - all the drivers (or potential drivers) are on file with my insurance, and I pay a rate based on the risk profile that pool of drivers represents. I had one employee get a DUI; he had to be specifically excluded from driving company vehicles for 3 years after he got his licence back; as a for instance - if I didn't have that exclusion letter on file, they wouldn't insure us.

If the OP's the only driver/rider - it may not be too difficult to arrange - but if there are any other parties on the policy, I'm guessing it'll be no beuno.
I'm the only employee of the corporation so hopefully it's a simple task. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom