Motorcycle Life Expectancy ... guess which brand wins over 25 yr trend? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Motorcycle Life Expectancy ... guess which brand wins over 25 yr trend?

All I care about is how long "my" motorcycle lasts.
Much of that equation will depend on me and how I ride and maintain it.

We all know people who ride older well maintained machines and people who wear out/destroy/neglect their bikes quickly.

Here ya go.

That's the million mile club. Very impressive. But only the Harley lays claim to the most mileage on one bike in Record Setter. The Honda isn't claiming that, so I'm not sure what you're talking about. No maintenance details on the BMW, but it appears he did it on several BMWs, not just one:

This only proves you can make a bike last for as long as you're willing to repair it. Harleys are easy to repair. The Honda is an excellent bike, but it's no Harley. LOL.

Last edited:
BMW is easy to repair, all you need is parts.

This only proves you can make a bike last for as long as you're willing to repair it. Harleys are easy to repair. The Honda is an excellent bike, but it's no Harley. LOL.

I agree

it makes sense to keep a Harley for a long time
and when it needs an engine
you put one in it

they are still a simple engine design with affordable parts
rest of the bike is the same: very solid and affordably repaired

Japanese bikes are much more reliable when new
better engineering, far better performance

but they are a bic lighter

If you want to eat up highway miles (y) BMW is difficult to beat,
it's like riding a single track car motor, that you hope your grand kid will appreciate some day.
Parts I can get at my awesome local scrap yard.

;) and the bolts are all real allen head bolts and not those star head things made of cheese like material.

Last edited:
Parts I can get at my awesome local scrap yard.
The parts i had a problem with were things like air and oil filters and electrical. An airhead air filter was over $40 eighteen years ago. I'm pretty sure they still are. An air filter for the goldwing was $22.An electrical rotor was $900.
It's too bad, they make great bikes.

From my perspective I would have had Honda a little higher up on the chart. My 1997 Honda has 188K with only typical routine maintenance needed. Not planning on selling anytime soon.

I totally agree, 121,xxxkm on my 2000 929RR still runs strong, its a keeper.

The parts i had a problem with were things like air and oil filters and electrical. An airhead air filter was over $40 eighteen years ago. I'm pretty sure they still are. An air filter for the goldwing was $22.An electrical rotor was $900.
It's too bad, they make great bikes.
I've been using air filters I bought long ago so I don't know what it will cost now, will let you know, mine runs on an 80$ lawn tractor battery and I made a filter wrench to change the oil filter I can buy at Napa or anywhere else, you got burned although I ride an early K series that had about 170 improvements over the air head ;) maybe that's the difference.

The thing that isn't taken into account by the graph is cost or value. All the brands save Harley have some very inexpensive options. It is much easier to write off a 250 cc bike when it is 10 years old then a $30k bike. How many Porsches are still on the road 25 years after they were purchased...probably more than the same age F150....the f150 will get used and wear down. Same thing even with a reliable car like a civic. They get used. If they are involved in an accident they are done.

As 800 says, you're more motivated to keep a $30k bike maintained and running vs keeping a $5k bike maintained and running over that period of time. Also, while there were mechanical changes to the HD's every so many years (although some engines were not terribly popular) the bikes changed very little cosmetically since the mid 90's. So there is far less incentive to keep up with the latest/greatest since they pretty much look the same.

Most miles driven on a motorcycle:

At an average of 40 MPH he'd have to ride 6 hrs. a day every day for those 18 years. He's from Wisconsin. I call shenanigans.

Last edited:
You guys are making me want my '84 Magna back.
Once I get extra room in the garage, I might take the trip and pick it up.

Do it! Love my 84 V30. I've put on over 16000km in 2 seasons without a hiccup. Up to 69k now and runs like she's brand new!

oGM9PeN.jpg

fMzLYl4.jpg

What's amazing is that with older technology that would have given engineers visibility into tolerance and threshold ...that they are still actually working 'as designed' ...

Do we agree that revenue model for units today suggests parts are engineered with an end-of-life that supports a disposable bike? I don't think we can say they are now engineered to last - unfortunately

What's amazing is that with older technology that would have given engineers visibility into tolerance and threshold ...that they are still actually working 'as designed' ...

Do we agree that revenue model for units today suggests parts are engineered with an end-of-life that supports a disposable bike? I don't think we can say they are now engineered to last - unfortunately

What? People get rid of their bikes way before they become unusable. Consumerism is to blame, not planned obsolescence.

Back
Top Bottom