Motorcycle gauge electrical wire | GTAMotorcycle.com

Motorcycle gauge electrical wire

bird

I am installing new turn signal lights on my 2005 Honda shadow 600 vlx. What gauge wire does Honda use on this motorcycle? I have searched the internet and some sites say 16 gauge others say 18. Does it make a difference which one I use and where can I buy electrical wire for this purpose?

if not sure err on the thicker side. there's no problem with thicker wire but going too thin will lead to grief

18 gauge is fine for signals and any other wiring other than stuff going to head & fog lamps, charging or starter wiring.

princess auto has 25’ spools on sale regularly for $3.99, regular $6.99.

20ga is used for most things in automotive.

18ga is used on headlamps, some prefer 16ga, but both can handle the 5A draw of a 60W headlamp with ease.

20ga is used for most things in automotive.

18ga is used on headlamps, some prefer 16ga, but both can handle the 5A draw of a 60W headlamp with ease.
True, but you’re at the edge for 18 gauge for headlamps. Things you have to consider is the run (length of circuit, probably 10’), continuous operation, and whether the circuit is in a loom or running through high heat areas, connector loss, potential voltage drop, and whether you are powering mote than one light.

16 gauge will be certain - no engineering required. 18 should work, but if I used it I’d do the basic math on the circuit.

Automotive companies now are stuck between 22-18ga and 16-12ga connectors often.

So shortcuts are definitely done that's for sure.

Back
Top Bottom