Motorcycle dolly re-jigging | GTAMotorcycle.com

Motorcycle dolly re-jigging

thegamb8

Hey folks, I received this motorcycle dolly as a gift from my family but unfortunately it doesn’t seem to fit my motorcycle very well. Wondering what can be done about that.

I believe it’s this one 1250 lb. Capacity Low Profile Motorcycle Dolly

Returning it isn’t an option because it was shipped here from the states.

So as you can see in the pic, I’m a couple of inches short on the bucket that the stand is supposed to go into.

Granted the motorcycle still sits fine in top but it’s not leaning in at an angle I’m comfortable with. On a flat surface the side stand leans in about 30 degrees or so. With this setup in the pic, the lean is about half or lesser.

Moving it around my garage on this setup would be dangerous - I think.

Can anyone suggest how I can add a couple of inches to the side so my stand can sink in completely? Maybe find a machine shop to cut a piece of metal and bridge it?

Any advice is grately appreciated.

cd3fc66e48c79c7ac057c9fb7c4f7584.jpg

3e0b90c33dae4554dd58b9f711e179ab.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can't tell from your pic, is that tray welded to the side of the main trough or just bolted?
It would be simple to put a 3/8 plate under there and bolt it up.
It would be better welded, but I'm guessing you don't have a welder.

Can't tell from your pic, is that tray welded to the side of the main trough or just bolted?
It would be simple to put a 3/8 plate under there and bolt it up.
It would be better welded, but I'm guessing you don't have a welder.

I don’t have a welder unfortunately. The tray is bolted.

I was thinking the same thing about the plate but will it be a safety hazard given that the distance has increased thereby making the new plate susceptible to bending?

I guess the plate needs to be real thick.

78fe2cf234a034be3f03edeceaca9781.jpg

Only 2 bolts attaching that right angle bracket to the underside of the base. The others are to join 2 pieces of the base together. Not connected to the tray.

Extend the plate and put another wheel under the dolly where the new plate is?

I guess the plate needs to be real thick.
As designed, that tray has very little strength.If you put any real force it will bend at the bolted connection. The force has to go through that folded piece of light gauge sheet metal.

Get 2 pieces of 1/4 or 3/8" thick 1" straps about 24" long. You can get that at Canadian Tire or Home Depot.
Drill some holes and mount them on the bottom. Use stove bolts and lock washers, at least two at each end of the straps. Just move the tray over.
2 - 1/4 x 1" straps with 8 bolts will be stronger than what you have now.
If you're worried about strength make one of the straps long enough to go far enough to mount the caster on.

Back
Top Bottom