Motocross technology | GTAMotorcycle.com

Motocross technology

styno

Hey guys. Ive recently (the last few years) got back into riding motocross.I have a super clean 2002 RM 250 that I scratch away at, ride my home motocross track pretty much every day. Ive set up the suspension well, geared it accordingly, jet it, tune it and ride how i would say fairly well for a 39 year old.
Well on sat my friends kid came over with his 2008 kx250f. The bike was very beat, well worn and not that well maintained and after some pressure from him I hopped on and made a few laps on it.
I was completely blown away at how well it cornered, handled, traction etc. It did everything wayyyyy better then my RM besides a little less power, and I do mean wayyyy better!! I instantly fell in love!!
Are these bikes just that much better or is mine just not set up as well as I think it is??

I keep my mx bikes tip top. I always get suspension professionally done on them, and I go through the bikes all the time. Any issue gets fixed right away.

I went from an 04 yz250f to a 2010 yz250f... And yes, huge difference. The motor is essentially the same (but more mid on the 2010) but the biggest difference is in the frame. The materials (steel vs aluminum) and the geometry of the frames. The first time on my new bike was also my first ride in nearly a year (bought it while on tour) and after a few laps I was pulling my best laps yet at gopher dunes (tough track). And that was my new stock bike against my modded older model. Now the new one has the suspension and trick parts And it's really that more awesome. I'm halfway scrubbing jumps now and I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have on my old wider steel framed bike.

I keep my mx bikes tip top. I always get suspension professionally done on them, and I go through the bikes all the time. Any issue gets fixed right away.

Where do you go for this? Thanks.

My 04 was done @ machine racing (LGS suspension) but now I go to mike @ strictly motocross in straffordville. Great guy, loves racing and bikes. He's rebuilding and doing up my motor for next season. One of the few I trust 100% with my bike and $

I went from an 04 yz250f to a 2010 yz250f... And yes, huge difference. The motor is essentially the same (but more mid on the 2010) but the biggest difference is in the frame. The materials (steel vs aluminum) and the geometry of the frames. The first time on my new bike was also my first ride in nearly a year (bought it while on tour) and after a few laps I was pulling my best laps yet at gopher dunes (tough track). And that was my new stock bike against my modded older model. Now the new one has the suspension and trick parts And it's really that more awesome. I'm halfway scrubbing jumps now and I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have on my old wider steel framed bike.

Im def buying a newer 09+ 250f this winter for sure, i fell right in love!!
Ive never really been brand loyal, I presume theyre all as good as the next??

Get a 450, you'll be even more impressed, and the 450 gives you a bit more flexibility.

Your 250 would have originally been required to compete against the 450 4 strokes anyway.

The technology is making things better.

Compare a 2002 GSXR1000 to a 2012, there is no comparison

Get a 450, you'll be even more impressed, and the 450 gives you a bit more flexibility.

Your 250 would have originally been required to compete against the 450 4 strokes anyway.

The technology is making things better.

Compare a 2002 GSXR1000 to a 2012, there is no comparison

Gotta agree if you're used to a 250 2T. My last race of the season I was screaming my 250f and could NOT get around a guy on a 450 simply because he had the power. I was out braking him, setting him up, accelerating sooner, bar to bar at the exit and he would pull 2 lengths on me down the next section. All due to the power. When I ride the deep sand I'm abusing the clutch while my buddy on the 450 is entering corners at the same speed but the torque just pulls him through.

I only stay on the 250 because I'm comfortable on it and can enter more classes with it.

Great points guys and i should ride the 450. I only used the 250F example because thats all ive had to compare to my bike. I just really liked the light weight and the linear, less twitchy power of the 4 stroke. My 250 is set up right and so responsive it got me in trouble a few times with an un timed blip of the throttle. the 250F had jam it was just more linear.

Back
Top Bottom