Most dangerous places for Motorcycles in the US. | GTAMotorcycle.com

Most dangerous places for Motorcycles in the US.

800over

Interesting article.....deaths on motorcycles by population. 8 out of the top 50 in Florida.
Warmer weather= more riders.
More old riders and old drivers=more deaths?
No helmet laws etc?

I'd love to see the numbers taking average riding days into account...probably show more up north.

Interesting article.....deaths on motorcycles by population. 8 out of the top 50 in Florida.
No helmet laws etc?

I'd love to see the numbers taking average riding days into account...probably show more up north.

florida behaviour can often be explained by 2 factors:

-Heat
-Cocaine

tends to fry the brain

No helmet laws etc?

Cool information. As for taking riding days into account, that's a good idea. It would also be a good idea to take the number of bikes into account. That appears to be purely bike deaths per total population. Places like florida probably have a higher percentage of the population owning bikes due to the weather.

There has to be an agenda in this somewhere. The highest per 100,000 fatalities appear to be in retirement areas. Nanny state Democrats coming into power now. They've been after a national helmet law for decades.

If you're looking for stats on deaths then this site has interesting info. drivers license status, gender, single vs. multiple vehicle, use of alcohol, engine size, age, time of day, type of bike, helmet use, etc............

They obviously have a lot of data and other reports that are not presented. I'd like to know the death rate for unlicensed, unhelmeted, single vehicles where alcohol is involved and variations of this. Clearly alcohol use is a major factor as is single vehicle accidents.

Never drink and ride, and riding within your skill level with a margin for unknowns, will reduce your risk of accident and death significantly.

I'm shocked, no real numbers in California. Warm year round and lots of bikes.

anecdotal:

coming back up from the deep south a few years ago
late afternoon and looking for a home for the night

Memphis looked like a good target to shoot for ~ 6PM off the road
booking.com suggested a place walking distance to Graceland - booked
place had a 10 ft high razor wire fence and inch thick bullet proof glass at the office

don't ever decide to stay in Memphis on a bike trip
ride a bit further....I've worked in war zones that looked safer

anecdotal:

place had a 10 ft high razor wire fence and inch thick bullet proof glass at the office

I used to have to travel to Memphis a lot for work. The best place to stay is the Beale Street/Union Ave district. Its just 2 minutes west of 69 and there are a lot of great restaurants and bars

If you are looking for something up market the Westin is on Beale , but I normally stay at the MOXY on Front. Its very boutique and a bit different but they do have secure parking. You can normally book it for around $100. Give it a try the next time.

If you are a beer nerd its within walking distance of the Flying Saucer. They have about 100 craft beers on tap but they serve Stone Cosmic Runestone IPA. Its very hard to find and one of my favourites.

anecdotal:

We stayed in Memphis six years ago, visiting by car. Had no idea before we got there it was one of the most dangerous cities in America. The area around Graceland was particularly dangerous, and everyone told us not to go there after dark. A German tourist had recently been mugged and stripped naked while taking a photo of his wife from across the road. The problem was that the city police union had a long-standing grievance with the city and were working to rule, so the place was like a war zone. Not sure that it's much better now - Nashville is well worth driving the extra distance.

Reactions: J_F
We stayed in Memphis six years ago, visiting by car. Had no idea before we got there it was one of the most dangerous cities in America. The area around Graceland was particularly dangerous, and everyone told us not to go there after dark. A German tourist had recently been mugged and stripped naked while taking a photo of his wife from across the road. The problem was that the city police union had a long-standing grievance with the city and were working to rule, so the place was like a war zone. Not sure that it's much better now - Nashville is well worth driving the extra distance.

I was stuck with that booking at the place near Gracelend
otherwise would have tried another area

wouldn't dare walk to anywhere for food and after ride beer
saw there was a WallyWorld few miles up the road
took the bike up there after unloading - hotel had a guest BBQ
to grab a steak and a couple of chain maintenance beers

was in the store maybe 10 mins and came out to a crowd around the bike
good thing GIVI luggage is well secured or I'm sure the panniers would have been gone
got TF out of there EARLY the next morning

Back
Top Bottom