More middleweight adventure tourers coming | GTAMotorcycle.com

More middleweight adventure tourers coming

bigpoppa

Honda filing patents for a middleweight alternative to their africa twin to compete with the KTM 890 adventure R and yamaha T7

And also aprilia Tuareg rumors and prototypes have been spotted, using the same engine as the RS660 and Tuono 660

If Aprilia can keep the Tuareg weight close to the RS660's 400 lbs wet without sacrificing off-road ability, it could be incredible. Even the T7 sits around 450 stock. Drop peak power by 10-15 hp in exchange for adding more low-end grunt, 21" front, longer travel suspension, adjust the electronics to add dirt options, job done.

Here's some conveniently foggy 'spy' shots:

Spotted: The Aprilia Tuareg 660 Is Out And About

As for the Transalp, it'll be interesting to see where Honda slots it in. At ~500 lbs, the Africa Twin is already splitting the difference between the heavyweights at 550-600 lbs and the middleweights like the T7 and Tiger 900 Rally. Does Honda make an 850 with T7 weight, which is fairly close to the AC, or go even lighter? The only problem for them is their existing middleweight motor is a four, and the 500 twin motor is a bit soft at under 50 hp...

I've noticed unlike the KTMs and Beemers, aprilia doesnt charge you extra to 'unlock' everything thats already on their bikes

I like that, maybe this one will come with all the electronic goodies on the RS 660? (cruise control, quick shifter etc)
if so, this makes it a very tempting prospect

I've noticed unlike the KTMs and Beemers, aprilia doesnt charge you extra to 'unlock' everything thats already on their bikes
Weeeell, yes and no. Technically they charge quite a lot to unlock the Race map in the ECU (~$1800 USD for an Akra slip-on with code vs ~$900 without code, identical hardware), but every Aprilia shop I've dealt with has been happy to install the map for about $200, including the throttle learning etc.

Otherwise, yes, there's no shenanigans in the accessory catalog
I like that, maybe this one will come with all the electronic goodies on the RS 660? (cruise control, quick shifter etc)
I'd be really surprised if they cut back on the electronics, if only because that seems to be their big selling point with the RS660 to differentiate it from the competition. It'll need some serious adjustment to work in dirt, but I'm assuming that's all under Bosch's purview, so a straightforward addition.

race map, is that a riding mode that affects throttle response or actual fueling?

AFAIK aprilia doesnt charge you an arm and a leg to unlock stuff like quick shifters or track mode etc

race map, is that a riding mode that affects throttle response or actual fueling?

AFAIK aprilia doesnt charge you an arm and a leg to unlock stuff like quick shifters or track mode etc
To be honest, I'm not sure the real-world difference. I don't know if it's a map that is already present on the ECU that gets unlocked or whether they upload an official map. It's sold as an 'unlock code' with the pipe, which suggests the former, but it could be a code like a voucher is a code, I don't know.

Really, it's a map that adjusts the fueling to work without a cat (the power gains are minimal at wide open throttle, but it can make a difference for part-throttle response), so I suspect it's all a show for EPA/Euro regulations to say they made darn sure it would only be used on a track. In practice, the dealers do it for labour and a small charge for the equipment. That stuff is getting serious in places like France and California, with actual big fat fines being handed out for modified fuel and exhaust systems and cops being trained how to spot mods.

As for the rest, the quickshifter works up and down from minute one (I am so going to miss that on the RC51), the power modes are all track oriented out of the box (Race, Track, Sport are the names, and the differences are mostly in engine braking and power coming off closed throttle: Sport is counterintuitively most aggressive down low with Race the gentlest). TC, ABS, AWC and cruise are also all fully functional.

As for the rest, the quickshifter works up and down from minute one (I am so going to miss that on the RC51), the power modes are all track oriented out of the box (Race, Track, Sport are the names, and the differences are mostly in engine braking and power coming off closed throttle: Sport is counterintuitively most aggressive down low with Race the gentlest). TC, ABS, AWC and cruise are also all fully functional
and this...is why I love aprilia

and this...is why I love aprilia
My latest used bike price checking is a Caponord, which comes amazingly well equipped with tech for a five year old bike. It doesn't have a TFT dash, but pretty much everything else is there, including semi-active suspension (complete with self-adjusting preload), Bluetooth connectivity, and all the other ABS/TC etc. acronyms. Relatively low mile examples can be had for less than $10k.

This is somewhat disappointing...:
"Our understanding is that the IMU for the Aprilia Tuono 660 will be sold as optional add-on, as will the up/down quickshifter."

hopefully it comes standard on the RS660 at least

This is somewhat disappointing...:
"Our understanding is that the IMU for the Aprilia Tuono 660 will be sold as optional add-on, as will the up/down quickshifter."

hopefully it comes standard on the RS660 at least
Definitely comes on the RS660, but this may be a way to keep costs down on the baby Tuono and create some difference between the models. The biggest criticism I've read about the RS is the price, so knocking $1000 off the base Tuono 660 offers a cheaper alternative. There isn't as much of a gap between the 660 models as there is between the RSV4 and the Tuono 1100 as the RS660 has much less of a track-focused riding position.

It also offers a choice for those who don't want any of that 'newfangled e-nanny crap', and just want to pop wheelies and do burnouts all day...

hmmm? i wasnt charged?

i had full access to every bit of tech the moment i pushed the buttom.

Everything except ABS can be configured or disabled.

The 3 normal modes (Rain/Road/Dynamic/) affect throttle response; engine brake level, traction control, wheelie control, and the ABS level of intervention and torque is limited in the first 3 gears. Dynamic Pro makes everything mentioned before configurable and removes the torque limitation in gears 1-3.

That's it.

Last edited:
hmmm? i wasnt charged?

i had full access to every bit of tech the moment i pushed the buttom.

Everything except ABS can be configured or disabled.

mods only make the throttle input more agressive and in every mode but the top (Dynamic Pro) limit the torque in the first 3 gears.

That's it.

BMW calls them 'packages' I believe

BMW calls them 'packages' I believe
not quite, ill edit this in a second, i want to go back and edit my first post.

The packages on the XR are as follows;

Premium Package - Quickshifter/Dynamic semi active suspension/Push button start
Tour Package - Heated Grips/reinforced tail section with the luggage rack/centre stand/Cruise
Headlight Package - DRL/Cornering Lights/Positioning Headlights
Carbon Package - Carbon fender/rear hugger/side panels

Extra stand alones are;
Forged Wheels
LED AUX lights
Lightweight battery

As far as i can remember Dynamic Pro is available even in the base model.

So yes there are packages that limit equipment, but it's not like it's sitting on the bike waiting to be flashed and you`re also talking about thousands and thousands of dollars off the purchase price if you don't get them. This imo is different from selling you stuff already on a bike but not accessible.. Technically you've paid for the equipment, but you cant use it.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom