More ducati stupidity. | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

More ducati stupidity.

Premium product, premium price...

The new limited edition Daytona 765 will be in $30k range IF you can secure one of the 765 units coming to north America.

:cool: if you have to ask you can Not afford it,
does that make it stupid :LOL: I think not.

homepage-V4.jpg

could you even ride one here :unsure: I think not and that would be a stupid shame.

:cool: if you have to ask you can Not afford it,
does that make it stupid :LOL: I think not.

homepage-V4.jpg

could you even ride one here :unsure: I think not and that would be a stupid shame.

That Norton is a beauty.

The v4r is a good deal, try to build a wsbk bike for that price.

Well.... not quite.

The V4R is just one of many homologated WSBK bikes. Others are: CBR1000RR, ZX-10RR, GSX-R 1000R, YZF-R1.

And all of them cost *significantly* less than the V4R.

And of course, the bikes running around the WSBK tour are just "based on" the homologated models. There are still tens of thousands of $ worth of trick parts added on to them to make them competitive. In full trim, the actual cost is closer to $150K-$200K.

Not saying it aint good, just think they need to drop this 'we're all for accessible motorcycles and reaching out to the common man/rider' ******** facade.

You make bikes for rich dudes to buy, say it loud, and be proud of it.

Well.... not quite.

The V4R is just one of many homologated WSBK bikes. Others are: CBR1000RR, ZX-10RR, GSX-R 1000R, YZF-R1.

And all of them cost *significantly* less than the V4R.

And of course, the bikes running around the WSBK tour are just "based on" the homologated models. There are still tens of thousands of $ worth of trick parts added on to them to make them competitive. In full trim, the actual cost is closer to $150K-$200K.
I'm aware, however everyone that has ridden one says its a step above the rest as they all sit.

They are all really expensive because they do things that are only required in competition when piloted by the most gifted riders in the world. That's a lot of cabbage if you just want bragging rights at Starbucks.
Who on here is entering a GP anytime soon ??. Are you superbly gifted ??.
Don't know why such you'd be upset about the price of a bike that you don't need, & couldn't ride to even 50% of its capability.

You can afford many bikes that exceed your skill level. You probably own one already. Enjoy it !!.

I don't like it but I have to pay around 40k for a van that meets my daily needs. 32k for a toy is another story. No wonder the used market is so popular.

They are all really expensive because they do things that are only required in competition when piloted by the most gifted riders in the world. That's a lot of cabbage if you just want bragging rights at Starbucks.
Who on here is entering a GP anytime soon ??. Are you superbly gifted ??.
Don't know why such you'd be upset about the price of a bike that you don't need, & couldn't ride to even 50% of its capability.

You can afford many bikes that exceed your skill level. You probably own one already. Enjoy it !!.
You do know that we have canadian superbike racing. The bikes running at the front are worth well above $50,000. Not everyone rides to tims.

It's working for them, not stupid at all

The difference of cost of an Italian superbike vs the cheaper bikes in the segment is no where near the cost difference of say a sports car like a Corvette vs an Italian supercar like a Ferrari or Lambo

2019 R1 - $20,999 vs 2019 V4S - $32,295
2019 Corvette Z06 - $93,795 vs 2020 Huracan Evo - $313,529

Ducati has figured out how to sell premium product at a premium price ... instead of attempting to chase sales numbers and discounting product in order to achieve it. Better to sell a relatively small number and make a profit on each, than to sell a big number and lose money on each. And yet they still achieved good sales numbers this way ...

Do you really want the base model Panigale V4? No, you want the "S" model with the upgraded suspension (and it doesn't cost Ducati that much to build in that upgrade). But that's not the one you really want, you want the Speciale (or whatever they happen to call it at the time), with the special paint job. Ka-ching. But no ... you want the limited edition model signed by one of last year's Ducati riders in WorldSBK or MotoGP to park in your collection and not ride it. Or if you are going to race it, you really do want that V4R ... because the others don't conform to the rules (displacement above 1000cc) and the R has useful race goodies on it anyhow.

The Japanese are only just now starting to figure this out. When I bought my beastie (and I can't believe it's been 5 years!!), I had to place an order with substantial money down, and then they built that bike for me, and I got it 5 months later. No bikes sitting around forever in dealer showrooms with discounted prices. No haggling on price - you paid sticker price or you walk away without. Some dealers did special order for themselves, but then it's on the dealer, not the manufacturer. It's still like that now for that model. And the price I paid is cheap compared to what it is now ... which is good on my end because it supports resale value for existing owners.

Do you really want the Yamaha R1S (the price leader)? No, you want the regular one at a higher price ... or the R1M with all the goodies. Interestingly, one very fast racer in CSBK started out with the regular one, not the M, and retrofitted a couple of the M bits and pieces that proved to be useful.

Ducati isn't interested in the price-shoppers.

We are still talking about motorcycles, right?
Yes.
Ducati has figured out how to sell premium product at a premium price ... instead of attempting to chase sales numbers and discounting product in order to achieve it. Better to sell a relatively small number and make a profit on each, than to sell a big number and lose money on each. And yet they still achieved good sales numbers this way ...

Do you really want the base model Panigale V4? No, you want the "S" model with the upgraded suspension (and it doesn't cost Ducati that much to build in that upgrade). But that's not the one you really want, you want the Speciale (or whatever they happen to call it at the time), with the special paint job. Ka-ching. But no ... you want the limited edition model signed by one of last year's Ducati riders in WorldSBK or MotoGP to park in your collection and not ride it. Or if you are going to race it, you really do want that V4R ... because the others don't conform to the rules (displacement above 1000cc) and the R has useful race goodies on it anyhow.

The Japanese are only just now starting to figure this out. When I bought my beastie (and I can't believe it's been 5 years!!), I had to place an order with substantial money down, and then they built that bike for me, and I got it 5 months later. No bikes sitting around forever in dealer showrooms with discounted prices. No haggling on price - you paid sticker price or you walk away without. Some dealers did special order for themselves, but then it's on the dealer, not the manufacturer. It's still like that now for that model. And the price I paid is cheap compared to what it is now ... which is good on my end because it supports resale value for existing owners.

Do you really want the Yamaha R1S (the price leader)? No, you want the regular one at a higher price ... or the R1M with all the goodies. Interestingly, one very fast racer in CSBK started out with the regular one, not the M, and retrofitted a couple of the M bits and pieces that proved to be useful.

Ducati isn't interested in the price-shoppers.
I don't think so.

Ducati only sells expensive bikes, they manage a 7% profit margin -- about 1/2 what the top Japanese makers get overall. When it gets to premium priced bikes that compete in the Ducati categories, Japanese margins are 2-4x higher than Ducati. The Japanese have done this successfully since their first beat down of the Europeans in the 70s'.

At one time Panigale were sold based on race results -- that's a bygone era, Ducati only has one of those titles in the last decade.

The selling point for Ducati's is style and brand cache -- similar strategy to HD.

Yes.
At one time Panigale were sold based on race results -- that's a bygone era, Ducati only has one of those titles in the last decade.

The selling point for Ducati's is style and brand cache -- similar strategy to HD.

We Ducatisti sit in the red zone, we hope and pray for the second coming of Jesus, sorry I mean Casey Stoner.... A motogp world title will be ours again. Rossi had his chance but he was so spoiled with bikes that handled, went around corners, had a level of reliability that even an Italian couldn't make it happen. So we wait for another saviour to wander over from the outback, like MadMax only more annoying and whigney. Bring us a Stoner.

Or maybe Ducati could build a bike that you don't have to be Casey Stoner to ride....
Just sayin....

When you build bikes that can't be tamed by people like Ricky Hayden or Valentino Rossi, you may want to step back and re-group.
Maybe they should have brought Mamola back, or Gary McCoy.

Back
Top Bottom