More ducati stupidity. | GTAMotorcycle.com

More ducati stupidity.

bigpoppa

This is the kinda **** that bugs me, CEO of ducati north america, points at a Panigale V4S a 32k bike and calls it 'accessible' at 5:45
How daft and out of touch are these idiots!?

I get it, its a world class bike, with cutting edge engineering, performance, components etc etc etc

The R&D that went into its development is probably staggering and makes the space shuttle look like a horse and buggy.

Not saying its not an amazing bike and worth every penny, but dont insult my intelligence and lie to my face and call it 'accessible'

/End rant

Last edited:
@bigpoppa, your miss interpreting the word accessable. Yes its 32k, you get a bike with some pretty interesting tech. You cannot buy a motogp bike, you can buy a world superbike , this isnt that either , but it does share some engineering. Thus its accessable at 32k .

$32k isn't outrageous when you consider what you get in a car for that price. Nice pickup trucks cost $70k these days and you see them all over the place.
To me accessible means the average Joe can come up with a downpayment and get approved financing for the rest if they really want their dream machine. It goes against sound financial planning to do such a thing, but the used bike market thrives on such impulsive or ill-advised decisions.

The only dealer i go to in my area is Apex. They sell Ducati, Indian and Honda. A quick look around the showroom reveals that a $30,000 price tag is almost average. A goldwing will easily hit $37000, and Honda dealers can't get enough of them.
A lot of Canadians don't care if they ever get out of debt and just keep borrowing to buy toys. Dealers know this.
Baby boomers are going to inherit $750 billion in the next decade and they are going to spend it (unlike their parents that went thru the depression and ww2). Muscle cars and retro bikes will sell well.
Yes, $32000 is accessible.

@bigpoppa, your miss interpreting the word accessable. Yes its 32k, you get a bike with some pretty interesting tech. You cannot buy a motogp bike, you can buy a world superbike , this isnt that either , but it does share some engineering. Thus its accessable at 32k .

+1

Accessible in this context doesn't mean inexpensive in an absolute sense, it means relatively inexpensive and affordable to more people compared to other vehicles with similar design and/or performance. The new mid engine Corvette seems to be an amazing vehicle with virtually supercar specs, but a starting price tag under $100k vs. a starting price of $250 - $275k for similar cars. If you wanted an exotic mid engine car, but couldn't afford to buy or run a low end McClaren or Lambo then the new Corvette is accessible.

How is $32k not accessible? To put it into context, this is a street legal superbike that can beat 99.9% of vehicles on the road and costs less than my minivan!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with the OP. I hear the same thing about cars too when they call a $100k Mustang GT350R "a bargain". It's just encourages the manufacturers to keep upping the profit margins, and they're huge on these special edition models like the GT350R and the Ducati V4S.

It's business and I get that you sell your product for what the market is willing to pay but some of these reviewers are out of touch with what I consider "a bargain".

Now this is inaccessable!
2020 Ducati Panigale V4 R | Apex Cycle Sports
@bigpoppa How have you come to know about "more Ducati stupidity"? Do you have experience with the brand? How many have you owned?How many have you serviced yourself?
I would never comment on Gixxer or Yamaha issues,because i have no experience.And reading WebBikeWorld is NOT gaining experience.

Ducatis don't hold their value very well. And if you buy one new, be prepared to hold onto it for a decade otherwise you'll take a huge depreciation hit if you only keep it for a couple of years.

My experience is that reliability is no worse than the Japanese brands, but the cost of parts and service is painful.

Ducati ownership is very accessible if you buy the previous gen used, and the type of owner that buys new Ducatis don't tend to put a lot of mileage on them. Not that far between Woodbridge, Yorkville and the local gelato place...

"Accessible". So, what sort of physical and/or mental disabilities can it accomodate?

I think of many Euro bikes as the equivalent of a trophy wife.

You need some dough to get into the game. for the first couple of years you can expect ooohs and ahhhs where ever you take them, maintenance cost will be high, and they should be a lot of fun.

After 5 years you will grow tired. Most of the ooohs and ahhhs will be gone, there's not much residual value. To stay in the game you have to dig deep again or keeping an older gal in shape will involve some expensive upgrades and continued big spending on maintenance.

I don't think it's that out of wack. Don't get me wrong that's a significant amount of money but you would be more likely to see me at the Ducati dealer buying one of those opposed to a R1M or ZX10RR for like $28-29,000.

Unfortunately cool stuff costs quite a bit these days. New 450cc motocross bike $10-12,000, snowmobiles are $15,000-20,000, performance side by sides are around $30,000 (I can't figure that one out but to each their own) Not a lot of cheap fun out there if looking at new.

So no I don't think the Ducati CEO is daft or out of touch. It's a premium product and going to be priced as such.

I think of many Euro bikes as the equivalent of a trophy wife.
Concubine is way more like it.

... ok! I see now
you have no concubines listed in your footer.

Concubine is way more like it.

... ok! I see now
you have no concubines listed in your footer.
A concubine has fewer rights and a lower rank than a wife.

Costs for everything goes up. A house in Toronto will now cost you close to $1,000,000. How do people do it? A few years ago a person making minimum wage was making $18,000 a year. Today it's $29,000 a year. And that is minimum wage.
I agree with the statement of what do you get for $32,000 for a car today. Not much.
If Ducati is out of touch, what about Honda? The new CBR 1000RR-R SP is going to be around $37,000 in Canada.

Dont even get me started on banks, I remember when I tried to get a bike financed couple years back, not very expensive or unaffordable, but apparently I didnt have enough debt to qualify with the bank.

This is why I like honda/harley...they have their own banks and are willing to finance riders. Had no problems with a honda, they just wanted a slightly higher downpayment.

I ended up walking away and getting the same bike for much better deal used and paid cash.

But I did the math and it seems if you have too little debt they wont approve you, if you have too much debt, they certainly wont finance you either.
You gotta be in the Goldilocks zone...

But banks love cars and houses(bikes not so much for various reasons) so...apparently anyone can get approved for those!

32k+ taxes and fees...looking at 40K OTD?
As the italians would say....fuhgett-about-it!

I don't think it's that out of wack. Don't get me wrong that's a significant amount of money but you would be more likely to see me at the Ducati dealer buying one of those opposed to a R1M or ZX10RR for like $28-29,000.

Unfortunately cool stuff costs quite a bit these days. New 450cc motocross bike $10-12,000, snowmobiles are $15,000-20,000, performance side by sides are around $30,000 (I can't figure that one out but to each their own) Not a lot of cheap fun out there if looking at new.

So no I don't think the Ducati CEO is daft or out of touch. It's a premium product and going to be priced as such.

Correct, the Ducati is not *that* much more than the premium versions of the Japanese litre bikes.

Problem is ... the regular Ducati V4S is same-ballpark price as the homologation-special R1M or ZX10RR. The homologation-special Ducati V4R is way higher, and the regular R1 or (in particular) the ZX10R are a fair bit less. Supposedly the new CBR1000RR-R (really?) is only going to be sold in homologation-special SP form in North America.

The homologation-special bikes are the "production" bikes with the special bits and pieces needed to satisfy the rules of WorldSBK and that includes a price cap of 40,000 euros ... which the Ducati V4R is just below.

If you are buying a street bike, do you really need the homologation-special version ...

I'm probably going to be in the market for another sport bike in a year or so, to replace my aging ZX10R, and the most likely replacement at this point is ... another ZX10R. Reason: High probability of lasting for years with just oil changes and regular maintenance ... and the basic design of the bike seems to be good enough for WorldSBK ...

Back
Top Bottom