Montreal rider crash ❗ | GTAMotorcycle.com

Montreal rider crash ❗

Looks like an sv650s.
Lucky he's alive.

Didn’t something like this happen on the SB ramps of the 427 to Gardiner HWY a few years back?

Don't be this guy.

No registration, no license, hits the brakes when he gets onto the shoulder in a corner. Pretty much a poster child for "don't do what Donny Dumb does". Glad he is alive and didn't hurt anyone else. Hope he never rides again.

What did we just see there? :unsure: Was that a hard lesson in counter-steering with improper use of ABS brakes,
or attempted suicide that went south.

Must have been a pine cone on the road.......

Please elaborate
His brake light appears on the whole time, if he was only using the rear brake that would tend to stand the bike upright, if he leans left and turns the bars right at speed, well that would make him go in a straight line, wide in the corner and hit the guard rail :/ kinda like he did.

Lots of discussion about this video online.

Rider was riding an unlicenced unplated bike with no insurance. This screams "Brah, I just bought my first bike and I can't afford to insure it, but hey, FTP!".

Video is very suggestive that the rider was horribly under-skilled on ANY bike, much less one like that. I could have made that corner on my 1000# couch on wheels at that speed, there's no reason he shouldn't have been able to.

It was a classic situation of inexperience, panic, target fixation, and the rest is history.

Anyhow, reportedly the fall wasn't particularly far, and was onto loose dirt below. He's in serious but not life threatening condition.

Last edited:
I'm going to link to this thread in my signature to point newbies to when they inevitably show up here and want a SS for their first bike and think training is a waste of money for "newbs", which of course, they somehow magically are not because they rode some guys dirtbike in a farmers field one day 5 years ago, therefore they are a highly experienced rider who could whip anyone on a track. <sarcasm>

This is also a great video to show people to reinforce that going fast in a straight line is easy on any bike...but when you don't have the slightest clue what to do when you reach a corner, well, you're going to be in a world of hurt.

I'm going to link to this thread in my signature to point newbies to when they inevitably show up here and want a SS for their first bike and think training is a waste of money for "newbs", which of course, they somehow magically are not because they rode some guys dirtbike in a farmers field one day 5 years ago, therefore they are a highly experienced rider who could whip anyone on a track. <sarcasm>

This is also a great video to show people to reinforce that going fast in a straight line is easy on any bike...but when you don't have the slightest clue what to do when you reach a corner, well, you're going to be in a world of hurt.
Like past GTAM rides I went on. Obviously some people were incredibly skilled, but so many riders were way up into 172 territory on the straights and absolutely parked in the corners. If you can't corner faster than 30, what do you think will happen when you encounter the inevitable surprise at 200?

Like past GTAM rides I went on. Obviously some people were incredibly skilled, but so many riders were way up into 172 territory on the straights and absolutely parked in the corners. If you can't corner faster than 30, what do you think will happen when you encounter the inevitable surprise at 200?

Exactly. The <30 crowd who want to start on crotch rockets but have zero skill and aren't willing to GET any (even when it's available) are the reason why insurance for the under 30 crowd on crotch rockets is insane.

Add in our stupidly easy motorcycle licensing standards here (I just did my 20 minute M1 written test, time to pickup my 'Busa) and here we are.

The guy in our video however, well, he didn't even worry about any of that. Can't fix stupid in those situations, but you can't outrun Darwin and Karma on any motorcycle.

And that's the main reason I avoid public group rides like the plague - the safe, experienced, and highly skilled riders are but put at risk by the inexperienced Dunning Kruger crowd. ANY group ride is only as safe as it's weakest link - if wannabe Rossi on the Busa riding with an M1 decides he wants to do 200 on the straights but then has zero ability to actually slow down and runs into the back of me, well, I'm still going to likely end up in the hospital along side him through zero fault of my own. Likewise the guy who can't corner worth **** - if he drops his bike because he "forgot to steer" in a corner riding beyond his skills and then 20 other bikes behind him domino into the wreck and I end up part of the mess, well again, there I am potentially in the hospital through zero fault of my own.

I went on one huge (300+ bikes) public group ride last year because it was for a charitable situation that I have very direct ties to. Sure enough there was a complement of goons and idiots putting everyone else at risk.

I do a lot of group riding but with people I know, with expected standards of the organization, and with basic competency requirements. If you have any issue with any of those requirements you need to do some more solo riding or experience building with a friend or two versus riding in a bigger group of 10-20 bikes.

And that's the main reason I avoid public group rides like the plague - the safe, experienced, and highly skilled riders are but put at risk by the inexperienced Dunning Kruger crowd. ANY group ride is only as safe as it's weakest link - if wannabe Rossi on the Busa riding with an M1 decides he wants to do 200 on the straights but then has zero ability to actually slow down and runs into the back of me, well, I'm still going to likely end up in the hospital along side him through zero fault of my own. Likewise the guy who can't corner worth **** - if he drops his bike because he "forgot to steer" in a corner riding beyond his skills and then 20 other bikes behind him domino into the wreck and I end up part of the mess, well again, there I am potentially in the hospital through zero fault of my own.

I went on one huge (300+ bikes) public group ride last year because it was for a charitable situation that I have very direct ties to. Sure enough there was a complement of goons and idiots putting everyone else at risk.

I do a lot of group riding but with people I know, with expected standards of the organization, and with basic competency requirements. If you have any issue with any of those requirements you need to do some more solo riding or experience building with a friend or two versus riding in a bigger group of 10-20 bikes.
It's hard to avoid the guy hitting you in the back, but if you end riding into the back of the pile, that is on you. Yes, they shouldnt have been all over the road, but you need to leave enough space to stop within your vision.

Insurance in quebec is a joke cost wise.

Cause you pay a high fixed amount for plates (compared to ontario) and part of the insurance cost is paid by the province. If you have a supersport, your plate cost if ridiculously high...but this wasnt the case so i dont know why he wouldnt be insured.

Anyhow it was probably a mix of too much braking in the corner with target fixation and pop goes the weasel

Insurance in quebec is a joke cost wise.

Cause you pay a high fixed amount for plates (compared to ontario) and part of the insurance cost is paid by the province. If you have a supersport, your plate cost if ridiculously high...but this wasnt the case so i dont know why he wouldnt be insured.

Anyhow it was probably a mix of too much braking in the corner with target fixation and pop goes the weasel

No licence no insurance. Neighbour is from QC isurance is linked to licence. He had 2 tickets so extra $400 for insurance.

I was wondering where the bike ended up. It seemed to carry on after the rider pole vaulted.

I was wondering where the bike ended up. It seemed to carry on after the rider pole vaulted.

Legend has it it's still headed north, enroute to the James Bay Road.

Back
Top Bottom