Montana Officially Signs Lane Splitting Legalization Into Law | GTAMotorcycle.com

Montana Officially Signs Lane Splitting Legalization Into Law

What they need here too. Keep it at low speeds like at a light.

"The text reads, “An operator of a two-wheeled motorcycle may engage in lane filtering when:

A) the operator of a two-wheeled motorcycle is on a road with lanes wide enough to pass safely;

B) the overtaking motorcycle is not operated at a speed in excess of 20 miles an hour when overtaking the stopped or slow-moving vehicle; and

C) conditions permit continued reasonable and prudent operation of the motorcycle while lane filtering.”

It goes on to specify that it defines “lane filtering” as “the act of overtaking and passing another vehicle that is stopped or traveling at a speed not in excess of 10 miles an hour in the same direction of travel and in the same lane.”

It’s simple, it’s straightforward, and it goes into effect on October 1, 2021."

What they need here too. Keep it at low speeds like at a light.

"The text reads, “An operator of a two-wheeled motorcycle may engage in lane filtering when:

A) the operator of a two-wheeled motorcycle is on a road with lanes wide enough to pass safely;

B) the overtaking motorcycle is not operated at a speed in excess of 20 miles an hour when overtaking the stopped or slow-moving vehicle; and

C) conditions permit continued reasonable and prudent operation of the motorcycle while lane filtering.”

It goes on to specify that it defines “lane filtering” as “the act of overtaking and passing another vehicle that is stopped or traveling at a speed not in excess of 10 miles an hour in the same direction of travel and in the same lane.”

It’s simple, it’s straightforward, and it goes into effect on October 1, 2021."
Seems like a reasonable implementation although 20 mph through stopped traffic is asking for problems. Even 10 through stopped gta traffic would end up with a lot of crashes as vehicles change lanes.

I'd be shocked it we ever got it passed here. So few people are positively impacted, many people feel they would be negatively impacted and the majority probably dont care either way. I just dont see politician dedicating any time or effort to the issue.

Last edited:
Yep agree sadly as well.

Greyghost: Why would filtering through at 20mph be a problem here, and not somewhere like LA??? They are just as -if not more congested and it works fine there!

I had zero issues filtering in California, in fact I felt safer riding around anywhere (highway or city streets) in LA than I normally do sitting in the queue of traffic anywhere around Toronto. I'm going to guess that for the extreme majority of Montana congestion is near non-existent.

I'd take an accident from a lane changing car over being rear ended any day of the week! And lets not forget we the filtering rider need to be on the lookout for the lane changing cars too, it isn't just on them to watch for us.

But I agree with you Greyghost that it won't happen here. Not enough motorcycle owners, too short sighted and scared politicians, too many close minded commuters.

Greyghost: Why would filtering through at 20mph be a problem here, and not somewhere like LA??? They are just as -if not more congested and it works fine there!

I had zero issues filtering in California, in fact I felt safer riding around anywhere (highway or city streets) in LA than I normally do sitting in the queue of traffic anywhere around Toronto. I'm going to guess that for the extreme majority of Montana congestion is near non-existent.

I'd take an accident from a lane changing car over being rear ended any day of the week! And lets not forget we the filtering rider need to be on the lookout for the lane changing cars too, it isn't just on them to watch for us.

But I agree with you Greyghost that it won't happen here. Not enough motorcycle owners, too short sighted and scared politicians, too many close minded commuters.
It's not the congestion that it is the problem, it is the other drivers. I've never driven or ridden in California. They suck here. Super impatient and always jockeying for position even if it gains them nothing in the end.

At 20 mph when you are within 2' of vehicles, you are well within the reactionary gap and literally dont have a chance to react yet alone any viable escape route. Cars dont expect something to be coming up that fast and close so they wont see you either.

To avoid being rear ended, the law could allow you to filter no more than three cars. It would be hard for someone to pile in hard enough to hurt you.

Let's be honest, filtering is nice for bikers to get around faster but the rest of the arguments arent far from loud pipes save lives. They sound plausible but very very rarely actually matter.

Cali drivers are pretty much the same as here, only real difference is because they are used to splitting/filtering they are expecting it, but people here would learn too.

The only problem with limiting how many cars you can bypass is that defeats the idea of getting the quicker traffic to the front of long lines and force them to merge back in either finding a gap or creating one, where they then remain a part of the congestion.

20 still seems perfectly safe to me, if you are filtering they aren't cutting perpendicular to your direction, they merge in at nearly the same direction of your travel.... plus if you're filtering the cars are probably nearly stopped if not completely stopped. We are talking filtering here, not lane splitting. Jeeze, on my street bike 20mph is not far off its speed in 1st at idle!!!

And getting bikes/scooters/etc to the front by filtering does improve traffic for everyone, but you need more than our 0.05% of vehicles to be on bikes to realize the benefit!

I don't see it happening here, actually I would never do it anyway, too many idiots and aggression, and with an off season people forgetting moto's exists doesn't help.

I wonder what other northern states have lane filtering, I would believe the lack of year round moto presence would be a similar problem to here.

I don't see it happening here, actually I would never do it anyway, too many idiots and aggression, and with an off season people forgetting moto's exists doesn't help.

I wonder what other northern states have lane filtering, I would believe the lack of year round moto presence would be a similar problem to here.
Probably just Montana. I am confused about why they bothered with this. It's not exactly the worst traffic in the country. Maybe the governor rides?

I just love it in Queensland and use it every day especially in construction zones and line ups at lights.
Really helps dealling with the heat. We can use the bicycle lanes and road shoulders. Lots of construction on now and filtering really helpful. Some riders go very fast filtering, I keep it down.
Not sure would work in the GTA tho.
However Melbourne traffic is extensive

I was a about to ask if we were able to do lane filtering in Canada (Haven’t seen anybody doing it) until I saw this post.

The problem is that everyone confuses filtering with splitting. Filtering is legal in multiple states and isn't dangerous. Splitting on the other hand is reckless and dangerous.

The problem is that everyone confuses filtering with splitting. Filtering is legal in multiple states and isn't dangerous. Splitting on the other hand is reckless and dangerous.
Splitting is also legal in some states. When people expect it and it is done with care and at reasonable speeds it is not reckless. I suspect you are right that it adds danger as you dont have any exit path if someone moves.

Last edited:
It's not the congestion that it is the problem, it is the other drivers. I've never driven or ridden in California. They suck here. Super impatient and always jockeying for position even if it gains them nothing in the end.

At 20 mph when you are within 2' of vehicles, you are well within the reactionary gap and literally dont have a chance to react yet alone any viable escape route. Cars dont expect something to be coming up that fast and close so they wont see you either.

To avoid being rear ended, the law could allow you to filter no more than three cars. It would be hard for someone to pile in hard enough to hurt you.

Let's be honest, filtering is nice for bikers to get around faster but the rest of the arguments arent far from loud pipes save lives. They sound plausible but very very rarely actually matter.
Drivers in California suck about the same as they do here - maybe more. If you want to see fun, bring on a teeny bit of rain in LA and you have the same driving conditions as a snowstorm in Toronto. I've only been off bikes twice in my life, both in the LA area, both minor but caused by lousy drivers.

In California you can filter and lane split. I don't recall a lot of filtering, but lane splitting was fairly common.

I think the argument for filtering is not just for motorcyclists, by moving small fast accelerating motorcycles to the front of slow or stopped traffic, you reduce congestion which benefits all road users. There are no safety benefits to filtering, a good rider is always prepared to filter to avoid being rear ended - law or now.

Back
Top Bottom