Modular helmets? (NOT HJC.) | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Modular helmets? (NOT HJC.)

I have an HJC CL-Max that is now used as a spare. It works fine, and was great with my glasses.

There are still questions on the protection value of modular helmets, which haven't been sent for testing at Snell.

All modular helmets will be heavier and noisier than the equivalent straight helmets.

Check where the bolts come through to connect the two pieces of the helmet; some come through right at your temples which may not be a good thing during an accident.

I've got the system 6 from bmw. Awesome helmet. Very quiet, light, sun visor built in. Does not like having the clip on communicator. I tried the sticky and that didnt work either. Ended up rewiring it so you can make it work. Down side is price. Very expensive! They size them in CM so there is no S/M/L it's ever couple CM so you end up with an awesome fit too. Has a quick connect/release clip for putting it on/off. Super easy to use and very convenient but you can't lock the helmet to the bike.

Would you mind saying how much "not cheap" was in your case?

I could probably google this but being lazy and already reading this thread so figure i will ask here. Have their been any studies done and posted online that compare modulars vs. regular full faced helmets from accident reports, and how effective each is at preventing serious injuries? Just seems to me that a non-hinged full face is safer. Could the hinge on a modular open up in certain accident scenarios?

I could probably google this but being lazy and already reading this thread so figure i will ask here. Have their been any studies done and posted online that compare modulars vs. regular full faced helmets from accident reports, and how effective each is at preventing serious injuries? Just seems to me that a non-hinged full face is safer. Could the hinge on a modular open up in certain accident scenarios?

Simple answer: Yes. You're giving up some safety, in exchange for convenience.

I got Scorpion 900 few years ago. While I liked it for most part shell seems massive and it is bulky. Sun visor is great and I will not buy helmet without it anymore. As for quality I am not impressed, Bunch of fasteners and clips inside and those holding trim on the bottom are have broken off and I am really not hard on the helmet. For example cheek pads fastener broke and I pulled those out maybe 3-4 times total. Plastic bit that holds chin curtain also broke off, it was being held with 3 strips each millimeter thick. Top vent flips up and down in wind and makes racket. Modular is fantastic but it is really hit and miss until you find good one (or pay for C3).

System 5 looks to be discontinued. System 6 got a 4 star rating.
http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/testhelm...ice-from=0&sharp-price-to=9999&discontinued=1

Is SHARP a new rating system? What happened to ECE? Does it pass the SNELL testing?

SHARP is the UK testing standard. I'd trust these guys more than any US/Canada standard. In the UK they eat live sleep breath bikes, have way better gear options than we do, and have more passionate bikers and racers.

Point is. There are modulars that out do full faces in safety tests.

Not necessarily. The BMW system helmets got a full 5 stars in the SHARP helmet testing report.

And what is the SHARP standard for chin impacts? I'll save you some time; they aren't tested for chin impacts, according to the information on the SHARP website. This makes the testing style more akin to that for a DOT rated 3/4 helmet (though a higher standard for such), than that for a Snell full-face.

*EDIT* Here's there explanatory animation, covering the impact zones that they use. Different isn't always better. It's just different.

http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/content/animation

Last edited:
^^

Fair enough.

There is at least ONE modular helmet that meets snell chin bar test.

So technically, you still aren't giving up safety if you go with a certain modular helmet.

So neener, neener, neeeener.

http://www.zeus-helmets.co.uk/zeus-3000a.html

e
dit : although an older article, these guys did some chin bar tests "similar to a Snell test" on modular helmets. although not snell recognized, still some interesting results.

http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/accessoriesandgear/flip_face_helmet_comparison/viewall.html

Last edited:
I would imagine that if you put any two helmets up against each other - if all else was equal EXCEPT the fact that one was modular, and one was not - the full helmet would be safer. There are just more points on a modular helmet that can fail.

Extend that to a real-life scenario: modular and full helmets are available across a number of different price ranges. Of the modulars and non(modular) helmets that you can afford at any given time, the safest full helmet will LIKELY offer you more protection than the safest modular one.

I wear glasses, and I was looking at modular helmets this past year. Everyone at the stores and shows were happy to show me around their gear, and every single one of them (to the man/woman) said flat-out that you are giving away safety for convenience when purchasing a modular helmet. If I can open it with my bare HANDS, then the road (or something else that comes in contact with my lid) could potentially open it in a crash situation.

I don't doubt that modular helmets offer great protection, and sometimes BETTER protection than some others (I've followed and read the links). However, my money's on a proper full-face helmet.

Last edited:
^^

Fair enough.

There is at least ONE modular helmet that meets snell chin bar test.

So technically, you still aren't giving up safety if you go with a certain modular helmet.

So neener, neener, neeeener.

http://www.zeus-helmets.co.uk/zeus-3000a.html

e
dit : although an older article, these guys did some chin bar tests "similar to a Snell test" on modular helmets. although not snell recognized, still some interesting results.

http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/accessoriesandgear/flip_face_helmet_comparison/viewall.html

OK, so you're only ALMOST ALWAYS giving up some safety for convenience. Neener neener :lol:

Not going to get in the great helmet debate on the Internet - no thanks - I'll just drop some food for thought.

1) OP clearly sounds stable, what with the destroying a helmet in a fit of rage and all. Riders like these may be the answer to all the "why did my insurance premium go up?" threads.

2) HJC makes a wide range of helmets in a variety of qualities. Note: any HJC model beginning with a C is their **** quality low end Crapola. If your HJC is heavy, and/or begins with a C, you bought one of the low end models. Their FS-15 comes in a carbon shell and is pretty light and sweet.

3) Personally I wear an Arai. They're hand made, have a lot of R&D and QC put into them. You can smash one all day long when you want to turn into the hulk because you can't control yourself and these things will take the punishment well.

Just skim through the thread. I just got a bell revolver from black friday sale online. It was only 79.99, plus tax and shipping and the visor comes to less than $200 canadian. come pretty good review on the site and on youtube. However they ship with UPS. I asked the store and they said what they charge should cover everything, so crossin gmy fingers for the brokerage fees. I got it from the black friday sale from motorcycle superstore. another good site is rider's discount. apparently they ship for free...

Back
Top Bottom