Mishap with U-Haul bike trailer | GTAMotorcycle.com

Mishap with U-Haul bike trailer

JTR

Had an oopsie tonight. Rented a house with a 2 car garage, so I decided to rent a uhaul trailer and move the bikes there from storage while the weather was favourable. Anyway, R6 moved successfully, strapped according to the instruction sticker on the trailer, so I go back for the Shadow and strapped it in the same way. My standard procedure is to strap down a load, make it snug, give a few tugs and go a few blocks and then check straps after it's had a chance to shake around and settle or whatever. That's what I did with the R6, drove 3 blocks and stopped to check/adjust. Well, one turn with the shadow and there was a huge bang, nothing out of the ordinary for uhaul trailer, right? But the shadow wasn't in the mirror anymore. ****! Stop and get out and my heart sank, she was laying on her side in the trailer. After righting the bike, I did an inspection of the entire right side of the bike, only one part damaged, probably the most expensive single part that could have been hurt. The tank was impacted by the side rail. Partzilla has it listed for US$509.90 and shipping/customs probably won't be too cheap. About the only upshot is that is comes factory finished in the box. I've been able to find a couple Aero tanks for cheaper, but I won't be able to easily match the finish of the phantom, so I'd probably end up hydro dipping the tank and fenders. Sidenote: I did get the safetow insurance, but I think that only covers in the case of collision, I'm pretty sure I'm eating this.

I figured it would be worth checking if anybody here happens to have a hookup at a Honda parts desk. The part # is 17520-MJA-H70ZA

RkbLTrG.jpg

Ouch, that sucks. I see you're a victim of Murphy's Law like I am.

Have you checked eBay? Might be some write off / salvage parts available there.

Yeah pp, no dice on my tank, but I think that's where I saw the aero tanks.

So what straps did you not cinch down tight, left it on the kick stand maybe? Come on give us the whole story.

So what straps did you not cinch down tight, left it on the kick stand maybe? Come on give us the whole story.
This. Save someone else the heartbreak and expense by sharing the lesson you learned from using a U-Haul trailer with a cruiser.

Ive shopped here a couple times and they have treated me more than fairly.

https://www.zdenocycle.ca/

You may want to give them a try on a used tank?

I figured it would be worth checking if anybody here happens to have a hookup at a Honda parts desk. The part # is 17520-MJA-H70ZA

RkbLTrG.jpg

MSRP in Canada is $934, see if you can make a deal with your local Honda shop. Toronto Warehouse shows one in stock.

Tip it over the other way and call it custom? It is a nice crisp line.

Sorry to hear JTR. Thanks for posting. Hopefully your pain helps someone else avoid a similar situation

Sorry to hear JTR. Thanks for posting. Hopefully your pain helps someone else avoid a similar situation

Haha my buddy said the same thing, let's load her back up and push it over the other way.

It was my bad on the straps. Had the bike up in the "chock", which if you see a uhaul bike trailer, it is more of a indentation in the front of the trailer rather than a chock. I did lean it on the kickstand figuring that would make it more stable, one strap over frame just behind tree going between the front corner d-rings, another strap through back wheel between rear corner d-rings. I did try to push/pull the bike side to side before moving and it wasn't budging, but as soon as I made that first turn it went down. When I picked it back up I did what I should have done in the first place. 2 straps in the front pulling in opposing directions, one through rear wheel.

I will try and locate a used tank also, but not seeming that easy to find. If I can't find a matte black phantom tank, I'll be torn between spending money on a N.I.B. tank or going to a coloured tank and fenders, since my rear fender has a glossed spot now from the rear bag rubbing. A copper orange would probably look good against the flat black.

Ive shopped here a couple times and they have treated me more than fairly.

https://www.zdenocycle.ca/

You may want to give them a try on a used tank?

Thanks, I just put a request on their site, I'll see what they say. I don't know of any bike salvage yards, and even so, I haven't seen many of these on the road for some reason.

Sorry to hear about your mishap.Doesn't matter wether it's a 900lb goldwing or a 145 trials bike.ALWAYS use soft ties (Or the middle of a ratchet strap) around the lower triple clamp.
[video=youtube;owfW-UKL0ug]https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=29&v=owfW-UKL0ug[/video]

Last edited:
Thanks, I just put a request on their site, I'll see what they say. I don't know of any bike salvage yards, and even so, I haven't seen many of these on the road for some reason.

Sorry to hear about your bike.

Zedno’s is a great place. You could also try Ultimate Cycle on Barton & Nash. Brian has a lot of different bikes and parts. Worth a call or visit.

Haha my buddy said the same thing, let's load her back up and push it over the other way.

It was my bad on the straps. Had the bike up in the "chock", which if you see a uhaul bike trailer, it is more of a indentation in the front of the trailer rather than a chock. I did lean it on the kickstand figuring that would make it more stable, one strap over frame just behind tree going between the front corner d-rings, another strap through back wheel between rear corner d-rings. I did try to push/pull the bike side to side before moving and it wasn't budging, but as soon as I made that first turn it went down. When I picked it back up I did what I should have done in the first place. 2 straps in the front pulling in opposing directions, one through rear wheel.

I will try and locate a used tank also, but not seeming that easy to find. If I can't find a matte black phantom tank, I'll be torn between spending money on a N.I.B. tank or going to a coloured tank and fenders, since my rear fender has a glossed spot now from the rear bag rubbing. A copper orange would probably look good against the flat black.

If your going to be into it anyways I would do the orange instead of stock matte black. Might as well make it yours while you're at it.

I had a guy airbrush a tank for me years ago for an old bike. Tank was originally black but I as well had a small mishap that resulted in a large dent. I popped out the dent best I could and he finished it up with some bondo. When it was time for paint I was going to do stock black again but he said to trust him.

He sprayed the tank a bright silver, and then when that dried he mixed the clear coat with some black paint. He sprayed that on and with expert execution covered the silver with this black tinted clear coat. When it was dried the tank was black but with the deepest almost carbon fiber type effect as some of the silver base barely showed through. Super depth, looked an inch deep. Very cool.

How does that long winded story relate to your situation?. If you end up with a new tank I would urge you to try mixing some of that orange paint you were talking about and mix it with some clear and try a section on your old scrap tank and see if the results are interesting. I don't know if it would work as well with a dark base coat and lighter clear but what's to lose? Would be neat effect on new tank and fenders.

I love Uhaul trailers - $15/day - how can you beat that?

Here are my load rules:

1) Always strap the front wheel in tight to the Front chock. I do this by pulling in tight, then strapping through the front rim before any other tie downs.
2) Side stand the bike. Then crank down LF with ratchet strap till front springs compress by 1/2.
3) Next go RF, LR and RR with ratchet straps, again till suspension is compressed by 1/2. Have straps all anchor forward on the trailer.

Make sure all paint finishes are not in contact with straps.
Check straps after 10KM and at every fuel stop.
Stay under 100KMH.

I always use my own front wheel chock in the uhaul trailer.
I don't trust that built in one to hold a bike secure.

I was thinking the exact same thing

Sent from my purple G4 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom