Milton SR #25 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Milton SR #25

Wingboy

Site Supporter
New raised and painted speed bumps mid way through a left hand sweeper on Milton Side Road 25 just east of the Guelph Line. Cars have been smashing into each other at the intersection 150 M further down the road so someone decided to install these things without thinking about the danger to motorcyclists especially in the rain.

Does the installation violate these guidelines? https://nacto.org/docs/usdg/updated...n_and_application_of_speed_humps_parkhill.pdf

See section 3.2 - the speed limit on that road is higher than 50 km/h and the 85th-percentile speed is sure to be higher than 70 km/h.

A few minutes of searching did not turn up the official "thou shalt not install a speed hump on a curve" but quite a number of searches indicate this (as the all-too-uncommon common sense would also suggest). It's gotta be out there in a standard somewhere.

There are signing and lighting requirements as well. I don't think there is street lighting in that area. I found the UK standard but not an Ontario-specific one.

I just came through there in my car. What's there now (can't speak for what was there on Tuesday) isn't a "speed bump/hump" but more like a mild painted rumble strip. (Take a rumble strip, delete the actual raised profile of the rumble strip and substitute paint instead, that's what it looks and feels like.) The profile of the rumble strips is so low as to be indistinguishable from the general road noise and bumps of the chipsealed pavement surface. They're white and highly visible. One of them (westbound) is just at the start of the last left sweeper and it's the second of a set of two such "non-rumble" strips.

I don't think they'll be an issue. I also don't think they will accomplish anything.

The real issues at that junction involve visibility. There is a crest on Guelph Line just north of there, which hampers visibility of southbound traffic on Guelph Line approaching the junction, and there are trees quite close to the junction itself, further hampering visibility.

Back
Top Bottom