Mileage question | GTAMotorcycle.com

Mileage question

Wear and tear on the engine/transmission is virtually the same no matter what the sprocket gearing is, so I wouldn't discount km's like the seller is.

Sprocket change only changes a bit of torque not increase mileage, this seller is a whole lotta of bull.

A sprocket change on this bike will affect the odometer slightly, so just think of it as a ballpark figure. The odometer reads off the transmission so any change in sprocket or tire size will naturally affect a little bit.

I have an 03 R6 myself. Bought with 32k in October 2012 and i'm up to 42k at the start of July. I'll easily put another 7-9k before the weather drops below 0. She purrs along very nicely.

Also know that the service manual calls for valve clearance check at 42k. Ask seller whether he had that done or not. If it hasn't, Yamaha recommends it be done. A Yamaha shop quoted me minimum 4 hours at shop rate (90-something) + Valve cover gasket.
Just thought i'd share that tidbit of info.

Sprocket change can make the odometer count faster. Ask him for maintenance records

Sent from my tablet using my paws

Alright thanks for the heads up guys, I'll see what he says and go from there. Been helpful with the info and suggestions.

Sprocket change can make the odometer count faster. Ask him for maintenance records

Sent from my tablet using my paws

Wouldn't that depend on whether the sprocket was +/-?

My bike has almost the same motor as that gen R6, currently at about 102k km. Besides a CCT and a valve inspection, I haven't had to do anything mechanical to the motor.

The mileage on that bike is perfectly fine, the price for that mileage is too high though.

Last edited:
That's not alot of km's for an 03. Ask for maintenance records and if the value check has been done. It' s a pain in the *** on that bike. when I had a 03 R6 my valves were still in spec at 45k.

Valves haven't been checked out on the bike, maintenance history just done fluid changes and sprocket change. He also said might need brakes rotors and pads

Sprocket changes acceleration not torque.

And that would be an erroneous correction of the original statement. Gear ratios affect torque transfer and the torque is revealed as acceleration. Why are good racers (cars and bikes) experts on their gear ratios and when to shift to keep up the torque for maximum acceleration. How does an electric motor lift a bridge?

Valves haven't been checked out on the bike, maintenance history just done fluid changes and sprocket change. He also said might need brakes rotors and pads

well then you need to get him to drop the price a bit...

Whats up guys, just a question:

ontario.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-motorcycles-sport-bikes-2003-Yamaha-YZF-R-W0QQAdIdZ497375510

Would you believe seller saying high kms due to last owner sprocket change?

So instead of 42,700 the bike will have 40,000, not much of a difference.

You gotta have your priorities pretty ****ed up when you add on a power commander and pipe but don't bother to check the valve clearance.

That bike is almost 11 years old and after doing valve clearance, plugs, filter, brakes and rotors with the money you would have spent on the bike and above maintenance you would have been able to purchase a much newer bike with half the km.

Atleast it wont shut down on you mid ride for no apparent reason :lmao:[/url]

As a current Yamaha owner of the same model OP is looking into, can you elaborate on this? :eek:

Back
Top Bottom