Mid and upper back issues with changing bikes? Anyone? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Mid and upper back issues with changing bikes? Anyone?

Klaatu

Site Supporter
So I have gone through many many bikes over the last 50 years of riding. I've had lower back issues (nothing major) for the past 10 to12 years, so that I finally got rid of my sport bikes about 6 years ago and moved on to somewhat cruiser styles. I've had Ducati Diavels the last 5 years with no real issues. I just bought my first more upright dual sport BMW F700gs. When I lay down after riding I get pain across the middle of my back. (never had that before) Just wondering if anybody else has experienced that. I can't be sure it's the change of bikes,and it might not be, but I have changed nothing else. Or I just could be getting really old?

So I have gone through many many bikes over the last 50 years of riding. I've had lower back issues (nothing major) for the past 10 to12 years, so that I finally got rid of my sport bikes about 6 years ago and moved on to somewhat cruiser styles. I've had Ducati Diavels the last 5 years with no real issues. I just bought my first more upright dual sport BMW F700gs. When I lay down after riding I get pain across the middle of my back. (never had that before) Just wondering if anybody else has experienced that. I can't be sure it's the change of bikes,and it might not be, but I have changed nothing else. Or I just could be getting really old?
I suspect you're not moving around or adjusting your posture as much on the new beemer, leading to pain
this makes sense its a very upright bike high handlebars

Could be a few things:

- is the reach to the bars uncomfortable? Might need bar risers or bar backs to reduce the reach.
- is your seat uncomfortable? Sciatica mainly shoots downwards from the lower back, but there might be some mid-back problems caused by poor seating position or too hard/soft a seat.
- is your posture/riding position bad? You should be riding with an arched back, not a rounded back. Poor posture might manifest into problems after your ride.

I’ll bet it’s mostly ‘getting old’.

I started having neck pain issues when riding my SS a couple of years ago, can no longer take that riding position.

I have a few styles of bikes I ride regularly, long rides cause a little discomfort in my lower back and hands no matter which one I ride. happens in my cars and trucks too, so for me it’s definitely age.

I had upper and lower back pain when I switched bikes. I found by raising the bars and bringing them a little closer to me I was not leaning on them and putting pressure on my upper back anymore. I wasn't aware that was even happening until I changed the bar height. Also that position caused me lower back pain which disappeared when I brought the bars closer to me so I was riding in a more upright position.

Biggest gain for me was adding a kidney belt. Something along these lines.

Risers tho ...generally I need 1" up and back on all my bikes...really helps. Just bought a set for my new ride.
1621831523546.png

As above getting older doesn't help and tweaking the set up of the bike might help as well. But if you're having an issue with your back make an appointment with a physiotherapist. After listening to your concerns/issues they'll do an assessment and likely give you a range of stretching/exercises to strengthen your back muscles and improve your posture. This approach addresses the root cause of your back pain and will likely made you feel better overall.

Anecdotal ..... having done the WFH thing for the last couple of years, I had suffered a constant backache. Two things that helped rid of the pain are (a) exercise and posture (b) the purchase of a gamer's chair for the long hours at the desk.

Footpeg location and handlebar shape can influence as well. The 'sit up and beg' design of most cruisers is really hard on lower back and neck.

I get what you're saying; a tightness across the middle of the back almost like elastics being stretched. It's a relatively new pain for me too; I'm used to pain in my lower back, but this is a bit new. It's not world-ending, but it's irritating and I can't seem to stretch it out. Since my setup is essentially unchanged since 2013, and I've done major miles on this setup, I can only chalk it up to age.

I'll just have to double down on the yoga, I guess.

I'll just have to double down on the yoga, I guess.
Mid back is tricky, only thing I can think of is a good side stretch

I'm used to pain in my lower back, but this is a bit new.

Exactly. I've never had this before. Lower back pain sure, but not this. The bike came with 2 seats, I'm trying the other seat now. The bars seem to be about the same as my Diavel. I think I need to adjust the foot pegs, they seem different. Funny, it doesn't bother me while I ride or even after, only after I lie down.

Back
Top Bottom