Michelin Pilot Road 2 vs 3 vs 4 vs other? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Michelin Pilot Road 2 vs 3 vs 4 vs other?

We can probably solve this with one question:

Do you know what this difference is between a Pilot Power and a Pilot Road?

I don't run Michelins, last ones I had were in 2009 and couldn't wait to finish them as the grip was terrible, PP = race/track compound, PR = sport touring. Still can't imagine anyone getting 30 000 kms on a GSXR750 on any tire by being aggressive on the throttle, how's the grip on these tires?

Have RP4 on my Multistrada, very happy with them and will likely buy another set once they are done, price difference for the rear is $30 between the 2 and the 4, I would go with the 4 (never tried the 2, but 4 just sounds better lol)

side note had Pirelli angels on my SV and was very happy with them as well.

I don't run Michelins, last ones I had were in 2009 and couldn't wait to finish them as the grip was terrible, PP = race/track compound, PR = sport touring. Still can't imagine anyone getting 30 000 kms on a GSXR750 on any tire by being aggressive on the throttle, how's the grip on these tires?
Lol
I get 20k out of my rear. I have 40k on my front now. Front still grip like new but will be replaced on principle

I'm not sure what you can bring to the conversation if your information is seven or more years out of date. Personal bias maybe?

Google review of metzler m7. Knee down in the wet. Want more kms roadtec. Did a trackday on roadtec in the red, fast group, for a touring tire they work very well.

Last edited:
The PR2 is being phased out and there are only select sizes left. It was a great budget option that looked like a sport bike tire, but gave great mileage, wet traction, warm up time and decent dry weather traction.

The PR3 has taken all the good qualities of the PR2 and expanded on them, the only drawback (if you are really picky) is that they do look a bit strange on a sport bike. Its a fantastic tire for dry and wet weather grip, incredible tread life (15-20k for most sportbikes/medium sized sport tourers). I wouldn't chose these for heavier bikes as there are reports of excessive tire cupping on those applications.

The PR4 expands on the PR3 range.
The they have three distinctly different tires for different applications.
PR4 - standard sport touring/sport bikes, etc
PR4 GT - heavier bikes >570lbs.
PR4 TR - dual sport bikes that are used 100% on asphalt.

From my conversations with Michelins tire engineers the main benefit of the PR4 over the PR3 is being able to have a tire that is tailored for your application, and seeing a slight increase in tread life. I have had a few more spirited customers say that their experience was that the PR4 gave up a bit in dry traction in comparison to the PR3.

I hope this helped, feel free to give me a call if you need any more clarification on the Pilot Road range (or any bike questions in general ;) )

I've run Pilot Road 1/2(x2)/3's, Metzler Z8's, currently Angel Gt's. Any of the newer sport touring tires offer great traction. The 3's lasted a bit less than the 2's. Z8's were about on par mileage wise with the 2's, but seemed to grip better. Angel GT's appear to be about equal to the Z8's in all categories.

Bottom line, don't drive yourself insane. Get whatever is cheapest out of the current crop of tires.

Back
Top Bottom