Mice are annoying! | GTAMotorcycle.com

Mice are annoying!

HERBXX

What's was lurking under the front cover...
Ran ok but wasn't charging... I repaired the harness, but will eventually grab a new one when I get around do it..

Attachments

• IMG_20200928_102757.jpg
    IMG_20200928_102757.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 103
  • PXL_20200930_202408476.jpg
    PXL_20200930_202408476.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 103
All this stuff works, the only not original is the 25 yo boyer ignition conversion..

Attachments

• PXL_20200930_201920385.jpg
    PXL_20200930_201920385.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 51
So much room for improvement, it should be no problem making it work much better (y)

I was kind of looking forward to updating it all, but now that it all seems to be functioning, I will probably leave it alone, other than replacing the chewed harness and cleaning it up..

I was kind of looking forward to updating it all, but now that it all seems to be functioning, I will probably leave it alone, other than replacing the chewed harness and cleaning it up..
You see the spring loaded carbon contact that rides against the commutator. You might want to look to see how much material is left on that part and clean it up so it isn't operating hit and miss.

I will! Thanks.
Any idea of the brushes life expectancy? , the bike only has 38k km on it..

I saw some really cool permenant magnet alternaters online.

The plan is get it so my brother and I can safely ride it on the street now and again..

My Dad was the second owner of the bike, he bought it early eighties.

I will! Thanks.
Any idea of the brushes life expectancy? ,...
Just as soon as the carbon is all gone and the little copper wire inside it touches metal.
5e57fe4c78b27594b3229f4d-large.jpg

compare the length to a new replacement part, if it's half gone they are near done.

I hate those meeces to pieces!

Had a similar problem with my Air Conditioner. I guess they were living inside and chewed up all the wire which promptly shorted when I turned it on. Couldn't find a wiring diagram so ended up having to replace it, although the newer models have all the wiring sealed in a metal box.

I keep set traps in my shop all the time, but at the farm shop where my Dads bike was the last 10 years, we are loosing the battle with them... They also got into the head liner of our 5.0 mustang drift car..

Nibbled at the wiring harnesses of two different bikes, used the airbox of my 919 as a fridge and tried to move into the blower compartment of my car

Last edited:
When I was selling the 2004 dl650 one mouse ate the lead to the coil. At least he died for it

Reactions: J_F
Mice find airboxes and foam seats on stored bikes. Hard to stop them - I have found they don't like the smell of mothballs, I toss one into the air box and put a few under the bike cover -- that's working for me.

i set traps in my garage and for about 4 years I got a mouse almost everyday until I found one in the air box of my ST1300. I put two of those little plug in ultra sonic mouse repellers in about two years ago and haven’t caught one since.

I have a family cottage for 40 years and have gone over every square millimetre and the mice somehow always get in. I store my dirtbike there and they build nests in my gas and oil-soaked airbox that would kill a normal person living there for any length of time. That is why I believe in medical experimentation on mice does no good, as they can live through anything except for lack of oxygen.

Now I have been become conditioned like a serial-killer of mice, and look for the best kill traps, with the grossest serrated-teeth traps that kill instantly and are the most humane. I have now abandoned any hope of living in co-operation and peace with nature and have developed a real taste for their destruction. This year I have bought ultra-high sonic sound device for my mice friends in order to repel them. For the bike, I installed a fly screen piece into the air intake and that has worked.

Discovered totally by accident that if a mouse dies in a bucket of water it stinks,
but if a mouse drowns in a bucket of used motor oil it does not.
... and the oil does not evaporate or freeze and go solid in sub-zero temps.
& don't ask me what you do with the toxic mess after, I haven't figured that part out yet.

Last edited:
They have a taste for used antifreeze. I suppose death by drunkenness is more desirable than warfarin or the snapper.

At least if you have mice you probably don't have rats :| rats eat the mice.

Discovered totally by accident that if a mouse dies in a bucket of water it stinks,
but if a mouse drowns in a bucket of used motor oil it does not.
... and the oil does not evaporate or freeze and go solid in sub-zero temps.
& don't ask me what you do with the toxic mess after, I haven't figured that part out yet.

Sure, oil is a preservative, but should I use 5W30 or 10W40? I tried the bucket method with spinning peanut-covered soda can but it's a slow drowning death. Too much suffering. I may be a seasoned serial mouse killer but I ain't no sadist. Used anti-freeze also works but is also a long painful death. A quick death is the goal so they don't even know what hit them. If the mice have souls, which I highly doubt, I think of the Irish saying "May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil knows you're dead", or in the case of non-believer mice, may you be dead before you even know it, if that makes any macabre sense.

And don't buy a recent Audi and live or park for any length of time near mice or rat-infested area. Audi is now trying so hard to be eco friendly and are shooting themselves in the foot. They are using a kind of vegetable-based oil instead of petroleum-based oil for the wire insulation. The rodents love it and it is real food for them. I expect the next round of developments to add cayenne pepper until the rodents develop a taste for it?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom