Mental Health - saw this posted, thought it was nicely done | GTAMotorcycle.com

Mental Health - saw this posted, thought it was nicely done

Baggsy

Site Supporter
eua7dcI.jpg

Do you have a link for the original? I would like to be able to send it to a few people that may find it helpful.

Last edited:
That worked. Thank you for finding this.

Another one. Plays into the message you're trying to send.

Life is suffering, death is the way out. To want to stay in is an act of bravery. To search for a purpose is an act of heroism.

Too many people still see asking for help as a sign of weakness. Stigma. When they go off the end everyone says "Why didn't someone do something?"

Too many people still see asking for help as a sign of weakness. Stigma. When they go off the end everyone says "Why didn't someone do something?"

Our culture (Western specifically, I'm unsure if Eastern addresses this) has a rather foolish view on life. We promote that life is great and that suffering is abnormal or something that we have reduced greatly (especially in 1st world countries.) This view point misses the mark entirely: life is suffering. It doesn't take very long to find an example around you of suffering. I literally just saw one pigeon biting the **** out of another one while that one screamed in pain, so I went out and punted the bully pigeon off my balcony (literally.)

But for the vast majority reality is brutal: nobody's coming to save you. Some of us realize this when we're very young, some don't realize this until way later. Regardless, this realization is painful. And when these people reach out for help, to the ones pretending everything is great, they push back and say "it's not a big deal." They undermine, and downplay because they haven't gone through as much, or have ran from the fact that to live is to suffer for so long that the very sight of a truly hopeless person scares the **** out of them.

So when someone commits suicide, the same people who pretend things are okay start asking "why didn't anyone do anything?"

I've spent a large portion of my life in the gaming community. The community is full of social outcasts due to ****** parenting and, ironically, bullying from other gamers (that are probably frustrated as **** with their life too.) It doesn't take very long to find someone screaming for help. They just want to be taken seriously, for someone to listen to their story, for just a little bit of time and advice to push forward (like the stick metaphor.)

Just some food for thought: the ones asking for help aren't weak, the ones judging are the ones running.

Last edited:
Goggins said life is the most brutal endurance sport there is

I'm not sure what constitutes the mental health playbook. If it includes anything except a perfect mind does it include from-birth conditions like dyslexia, autism, Tourette's etc?

What really pisses me off about the general subject is that people will say changing you own oil isn't brain surgery, implying that the brain is the most complex organ in the body and very difficult to get right. Then the same person in a discussion over PTSD or ADD will say all the person needs is a kick in the ass. And we wonder why people go off the deep end into an empty pool.

because they have happened over a long period of time, I never really added them all up, but the number of aquaintences, friends, friends of friends, friends of my kids that have died by suicide is devastating when you put it all together. Its a big number.

I'm not sure what constitutes the mental health playbook. If it includes anything except a perfect mind does it include from-birth conditions like dyslexia, autism, Tourette's etc?

What really pisses me off about the general subject is that people will say changing you own oil isn't brain surgery, implying that the brain is the most complex organ in the body and very difficult to get right. Then the same person in a discussion over PTSD or ADD will say all the person needs is a kick in the ass. And we wonder why people go off the deep end into an empty pool.

I remember having PTSD post highside and posting it on Facebook. I got flooded with comments from other riders (and their friends) with how I didn't and to suck it up.

My diagnosis was done by two doctors. I'm not "friends" with those ***** anymore. One of them had a major lowside later and reached out to me asking how I got over my highside.

I helped him, because I don't like seeing people suffer. Then I reminded him of what he did to me, and how I never want talk to him again because he's a piece of ****.

Too many ass holes like the above in everything.

With regards to what constitutes as mental health, it's not really understood by the public. Everything is a spectrum; it's not a binary switch (you have it, or you don't.) For example, I have low grade depression but it won't stop me from working out, going to work, and pushing forward. Now compare this with somebody with a higher level of depression, they may lack energy to the point where they just sleep all day. Lets say this dude is fat, just broke up, and found out he has cancer. That depression might as well be a shotgun in their mouth now.

There's also a heavy focus in society on intellectual and physical development (schooling, physical training.) But there is very little focus on mental health development: identifying your weaknesses, pain triggers, or self sabotaging mechanisms in order to succumb to them less. We all have this by the way, look at the obesity and overweight rates (that's a mental health issue with a visible effect for many.)

I think everyone has mental health issues, the question is how badly does it **** with your life?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom