Memorial Tree for all Canadian Bikers | GTAMotorcycle.com

Memorial Tree for all Canadian Bikers

Ducati Rules

Site Supporter
If you want to ride for someone who can't then remember there's a memorial tree planted in the Kinsmen Park in Port Dover dedicated for all Canadian riders. On the memorial stone beside the maple tree are the numbers of riders killed each year since 2000. Having a responsible safe ride to and from Port Dover will give you more good memories for yourself.

I will be there, remembering Canadian rider Pam Vickery. It has been a tough year for long distance riders. I'm still in shock at the loss of Ardys Kellerman and John Ryan. It's nice that there is a memorial for Canadian riders, I wonder how many Friday the 13th attendees know it is there.

It was a very nice event. The weather cooperated and all but a couple of attendees rode their bikes. Here is the memorial:
i-djgjhfv-M.jpg

and behind it the tree that was planted in memory of the fallen riders--amazingly still completely green.
i-7rhJTgW-M.jpg

Cool idea. Do you have higher res pic of the stone? It would be interesting the see the numbers killed each year (every year seems to be worse than the year before, but I doubt that plays out when you look at the numbers).

Cool idea. Do you have higher res pic of the stone? It would be interesting the see the numbers killed each year (every year seems to be worse than the year before, but I doubt that plays out when you look at the numbers).

New Numbers from Transport Canada for riders killed:- 2006 217lives lost (7.6% of all road deaths); 2007 222lives; 2008 219 lives; 2009 198lives; 2010 189lives lost(8.5%)

I have never done the port dover ride although many opportunities to , wasn't all that interested but i think no after seeing this i will make the trek down specifically to pay tribute to my brothers and sisters. I'm sensitive like that!!!!! What a great Idea reminds me of the tree of shame at the dragon but in reverse !!!! Thanks for posting this.
Gary

New Numbers from Transport Canada for riders killed:- 2006 217lives lost (7.6% of all road deaths); 2007 222lives; 2008 219 lives; 2009 198lives; 2010 189lives lost(8.5%)

Thx. So it's dropped 10% in 5 years (my guess is likely due to increased insurance rates more than anything else).

Sorry for the lousy cell phone pic. I tried blowing it up to see if I could figure it out. The years are hard to make out but it looks like in what I think might be a correctish order: 212, 157, 172, 233, 198, 177, 173, 225, 216, 195, 189. So some years are worse than others but I'm not sure there is any statistical significance to the numbers. This year seems bad locally but maybe it's better in the rest of Canada. Who knows...

If you want to ride for someone who can't then remember there's a memorial tree planted in the Kinsmen Park in Port Dover dedicated for all Canadian riders. On the memorial stone beside the maple tree are the numbers of riders killed each year since 2000. Having a responsible safe ride to and from Port Dover will give you more good memories for yourself.
http://ccmta.ca/remember_souvenez-vous/home.php Once a year there is an event to remember all road crash victims. The main event this year in Canada will be at Ottawa City Hall and the details are shown in the link. Toronto will be having a smaller event on the same date, November 20th. 2013.

Back
Top Bottom