MEC as we know it will be no more.... | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

MEC as we know it will be no more....

I have 2 old Coleman steel coolers, a naphtha stove and lanterns... and a World Famous backpack I bought in 1979 for my first round the continent adventure. They are still working, my kids borrow them still. They were go to brands back then.

Would you consider anything Coleman you could pick up off the shelf at a Canadian Tire today for a similar adventure?

They've been lost for a very long time. IMO, this was inevitable.

MEC branded stuff used to be good quality and great prices. Over time it all seemed to slide up and up in price and they only made sales when it was on clearance.

They were so into image and pretending to be environmentally conscious that they forgot that they were a business that needed to compete and make a profit. It's like the millionaires in 20,000 sq ft houses saying they are environmentally friendly because they buy power from bullfrog. Do you know what is actually environmentally responsible? Having a space that is reasonably sized.

I think what sealed their fate was the woke policy on firearms. The CGN and NFA forums were on fire with customers slamming the door shut on them last year. Hunters are a big group with deep pockets. You don't just diss them and expect business as usual.

Would you consider anything Coleman you could pick up off the shelf at a Canadian Tire today for a similar adventure?
Maybe. The still make some solid cooking and lighting stuff.i have a new extreme cooler in my dinghy, the are good too

I wouldn’t touch their tents, sleeping bags and cheapie camp accessories.

Back
Top Bottom