Mapping/power commanders | GTAMotorcycle.com

Mapping/power commanders

bigpoppa

Thinking of getting a full system akra, as this is somewhat out of my comfort zone id like to get reputable shop to get it installed and done proper, anyone got any recommends?
Or is the dealer the best bet?

Thinking of getting a full system akra, as this is somewhat out of my comfort zone id like to get reputable shop to get it installed and done proper, anyone got any recommends?
Or is the dealer the best bet?

What area are you in?

Theres a quality one in newmarket too, speedlabs? I'd probably go pro6 or riders choice just for convenience.

My opinion is that if you're not going to fiddle around with the mappings, just go with the factory ECU re-flash. Especially if it's the full Akra system that is designed specifically for the Super Duke, they will already have an optimal flash for this system. Better than a piggy-back type device, IMO.

Full termis and reflash on all my Ducs. Never needed a PC.

these guys do good work. i'll be buying their stage 1 product for the XR next month. With this you will not need a power commander.

you can mail them your ECU to flash or buy their hand held unit, then contact them when you get it and they will send you the files and you can flash the bike yourself (just plug it into the bike and follow the on screen instructions).

I see they offer it for the 19' SDR, maybe ask them about their timeline for the '20+

if you change your setup then they can send you a new map to download and install onto the bike, you get a few free ones then they will start charging your for new mapping.

they always recommend flashing the bike back to stock before taking it in for service, then flash it back when you get it back home.

alternatively buy the system and take it to someone local with a dyno. Matt @ Speedlabs in newmarket does excellent work, he also does custom exhausts if you'd like to go that route.

I was thinking of going to Pro 6 as well and was quoted the following when I asked how much it would cost to get a Rapid Bike EVO installed:

"This job would be approximately 1 hour at $110/hour.
Labour on emissions block off and accessories such as quick shifters and O2 sensors will be extra."

I'm curious as to what the difference / benefit is between a full factory ECU reflash/remap vs a piggy back system that ties into all the sensors and injectors..

I was thinking of going to Pro 6 as well and was quoted the following when I asked how much it would cost to get a Rapid Bike EVO installed:

Labour on emissions block off and accessories such as quick shifters and O2 sensors will be extra."

I'm curious as to what the difference / benefit is between a full factory ECU reflash/remap vs a piggy back system that ties into all the sensors and injectors..
you can make your bike stock again a few minutes?

:p

@Evoex is right, if you need to change your mapping frequently enough, then a piggy-back is easier than constantly reflashing the ECU.

A good example of this is switching back and forth from a dirt bike to a snow bike configuration. There is a piggy-back system for my bike that I'm eyeing that lets you reconfigure the air-fuel ratios for all temperatures and altitudes, and let's you do it over a wifi connection on your phone too!

Theoretically piggyback can help you keep your warranty (morality aside) and flash will kill your warranty. Not sure how bike manufacturers are dealing with this though.

Theoretically piggyback can help you keep your warranty (morality aside) and flash will kill your warranty. Not sure how bike manufacturers are dealing with this though.

Good point.

Re-flash on an OEM race system by a dealership should still be kosher, I'd imagine...?

ie. those Akras for the Super Duke that @bigpoppa is talking about actually have KTM part numbers.

Last edited:
If you can remove an aftermarket full system and install the original pipe and headers in a few minutes, then I'll be impressed as hell!
uh flashing?

you can reflash your bike to stock before taking it in.

they currently can't tell that you flashed it, they can however see how many times it has been flashed

and they still have to prove your flash caused the issue to void the warranty.

and they still have to prove your flash caused the issue to void the warranty.
No they don't. Knowing that it was flashed outside of the dealership environment is enough to win against powertrain claims. They can rightfully argue that they have no idea what happened but something had been changed without their knowledge or consent. Car manufacturers routinely deny warranty claims even if they were flashed back before service and afaik, they haven't lost in court on that point. Now if your front brakes fail, flash count should have no bearing on the claim.

Back
Top Bottom