Manufacturer recommended tire replacement. | GTAMotorcycle.com

Manufacturer recommended tire replacement.

ungoloth

Site Supporter
Last fall I purchased my first new ABS motorcycle (Kaw ZX10R).
As with all SS bikes tire replacement is always on the horizon...
I was reading through the service manual and it insists on replacing the tires with Bridgestone Battlax racing street RS10R L. The manual goes on about handling, stability and ABS issues without using said tires.
I'm not sure I like these tires as it seems to me they under perform in the rain.
I'm sure there are other suitable tires for this machine.
Any advise on how I might deal with this?
Best regards.

1. OEM tires are usually subpar
2. Go with whatever tire that suits your riding

Maybe it's some CYA thing that has to do with the function of the ABS/traction control? I would think that it would be insanity these days to design a supersport that is dependent on a specific model of tire

As long as you don't go crazy with changes in size, your bike doesn't know what kind of rubber is under there.

You can go with any tire so long as they fit the rim and they match.

Rain performance comes at the cost of dry performance. Just be aware of this. It's not hugely impacting unless you were riding at the limit of grip.

If they are insisting that a specific tire be used then they should be providing said tire for free, or for a nominal fee.

What happens if that tire becomes discontinued?
Park the bike?

Last edited:
The owners manual for my 2009 vfr listed a few specific tires which have long been discontinued. I had different tires on it and the bike was fine and the ABS system didn't go nuts.

The only thing that I would take into consideration is to make sure the tires selected are up to the task of handling the very high limits of a bike like the zx10r.

The issue is probably that the traction control won't be happy if the wheel's rolling diameter differs from specifications by more than a certain percentage. Stay with that size but another manufacturer's comparable tire will work. Just don't blame Kawi if it doesn't:)

Since we talking tires, what are everyones thoughts on shinko/avons? (sport touring or hypersport tires?)

Have heard mixed things

By making specific recommendations, the O.E.M.s are letting themselves off the hook if you put something on, it doesn't work and something bad happens. Its about liability not performance.

Since we talking tires, what are everyones thoughts on shinko/avons? (sport touring or hypersport tires?)

Have heard mixed things
Shinkos offer a lot of bang for the buck BUT they are not a premium performance tire.
For most street squids with 2" chicken strips on each side of their gummies they are more than adequate.
Avons are a top grade tire, but limited sizing means its tough sometimes to find the right fit.

I've done track days on Shinko 003, 006 and slicks. I have no problem with them.
They don't wear very well, but a great tire while they're fresh.
If you're going to run the slicks or the 003s you're going to need to add some (A LOT) of preload.

As with all SS bikes tire replacement is always on the horizon...
I was reading through the service manual and it insists on replacing the tires with Bridgestone Battlax racing street RS10R L. The manual goes on about handling, stability and ABS issues without using said tires.
I'm not sure I like these tires as it seems to me they under perform in the rain.
I'm sure there are other suitable tires for this machine.
Any advise on how I might deal with this?
Best regards.
If you are not taking it on the track, I would get sport touring tires instead like the Bridgestone T31 or the Michelin Road 5 or the Pirelli Angel GT.

Since we talking tires, what are everyones thoughts on shinko/avons? (sport touring or hypersport tires?) Have heard mixed things

I can't speak to the Avon hypersport tire, but I'd stay away from the 3D XM.

There are lots of ZX10R forums (a few samples below) that might be able to give you detailed and specific advice your bike and the various tire options? I'd check these out as well.

Back
Top Bottom