M43 camera info | GTAMotorcycle.com

M43 camera info

kwtoxman

I've seen some micro four thirds camera fans and owners on this forum and from time-to-time I find info worth sharing. I'll put that here and by all means use this thread for anything m43 related if you don't want to start a new thread.

FYI there's a sale on Panasonic cameras and accessories at their parent website. It includes lenses and some discounts are significant. I'm eyeing the 30mm Macro lens which is 25% off and discounted over $100. The sale will be over soon.

Panasonic eStore

The link has lots of different products but just scroll down to get to the cameras.

Cheers

Those savings aren’t huge. Have a look at the Olympus 30mm macro which is $299 on Amazon.ca right now and will be fine on a Panasonic body. I have that lens (Olympus) but don’t use it a lot though. A 60mm macro would be more useful as you don’t have to get right up to your subject unless you’re not photographing wildlife in which case the 30mm is fine. A 60mm is going to let you get more light on your subject though which is also important for macro photography unless you want to invest in ringlights. Also check the US sites which can sometimes work out better even with exchange and shipping.

Edit: the Olympus is 1 stop slower I see as the Panasonic is f2.8. That makes a fair difference. I also saw the Olympus at $249 at Henry’s though. If I was in the market for a macro lens again I’d still go the 60mm route though.

Last edited:
Oh I’m with you, I have a Panasonic 25mm f1.7 micro 4/3 lens (maybe the same as yours) on my Olympus body and it’s really good value for money. The Olympus lenses are great too though. Just saying that if you really want a good/more useful macro you may want to save for a longer version as it’s a bit harder to work with the 30mm. My choice was between the $300 30mm Olympus macro and a $650 60mm Olympus macro and I honestly wish I’d saved a bit more and got the longer lens. One deciding factor might be if you already have a prime that covers these lens lengths because the macro lenses can be used as primes in a pinch. So your 30mm f2.8 macro would also be a reasonable 60mm equivalent portrait lens, the 60mm macro would be more of a dedicated macro lens unless you feel the need for a 120mm equivalent prime too. The real issue is only with things like insects say, you’d have to ge closer to a resting butterfly with a 30mm lens to get a pic and that may scare the butterfly away. Also closer means blocking more light onto the subject.

Last edited:
What is everyone's favourite small fixed lens 4/3, 1" sensor camera? RX100, G7X, LX100?

Need a small camera that could fit in a large pocket. Don't care about the usual 4/3 camera's as they're really not all that small once you put a lens on them. Had a RX100M3 that I stupidly sold, and am deciding on what to buy now.

What is everyone's favourite small fixed lens 4/3, 1" sensor camera? RX100, G7X, LX100?

Need a small camera that could fit in a large pocket. Don't care about the usual 4/3 camera's as they're really not all that small once you put a lens on them. Had a RX100M3 that I stupidly sold, and am deciding on what to buy now.

You’re going to give something up with a fixed lens, it will usually be at the extremes of the range and you’re likely to give up some speed at those ranges too. A long reach fixed lens (super zoom) has quite a few moving parts to extend the lens out which means it’s more fragile. A micro 4/3 fits in my tankbag easily with a few lenses or in my pocket with a 25mm lens on (big pocket though). The size doesn’t bother me, for a lot of less intricate stuff the camera on a newer phone is ok for snapshots. My Olympus is also weatherproof as are a few of my lenses.

Back
Top Bottom