M1 written test is far too simple | GTAMotorcycle.com

M1 written test is far too simple

Frankee

Hi,

This is my first (or second) post to the forum, though I have been lurking for a few weeks, and I have been really impressed by the quality of the discussions, and I know I have already gleamed useful information from here that I would not have otherwise had.

I completed the M1 test this morning, and IMHO the test is far, far too simple, and leaves almost no barrier to entry to getting on the road. I would go so far as to say that I was almost embarrassed to answer most of the questions, and the fact that the MTO only required 16 questions to be answered correctly is nothing short of alarming.

If the G1 test is the same, it may (at least partly) explain why we have so many poor drivers on the road. The harder you have to work for something, the more you value and respect it. I understand that getting a full 'G' for young people is not a cake-walk (my vintage is from the days long before graduated licenses), but demonstrating a half-way respectable knowledge of the rules of the road seems an important prerequisite to someone that it going to take the task of driving seriously and responsibly ... just thought I would put that opinion out there.

Frank

Hey frank.

If you just completed your m1 then you did the G1 Test AS WELL AS the motorcycle. The signs portion and road rules are the g1 test.

And yes getting your G is a cakewalk. Some testers even take cash for a pass.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

What's the issue?

You want a written ENTRY test to be harder??! Strange... if you want to learn to ride a motorcycle, go and do it.... why do you need the ministry to hold your hand and make sure you know every little thing before you even get on it and experience it?

What's the issue?

You want a written ENTRY test to be harder??! Strange... if you want to learn to ride a motorcycle, go and do it.... why do you need the ministry to hold your hand and make sure you know every little thing before you even get on it and experience it?

+1

Its a written test, the scary thing is you are legally allowed to ride a motorcycle on the road with just a written test, no experience required.

I thought the G1 part was quite a bit harder. I made two mistakes there, perfect score on the M1 section.

I don't agree that the M1 test is too simple, but the M1 license is too permissive. You shouldn't be able to go out and ride any bike on the streets after writing a multiple choice test.

Quebec is at the other extreme - you can't ride on your own for about a year after getting your learner's permit.

I agree and vote that the M1 written test should have lots of advanced calculus and physics on it.

That would make for a world full of great riders.

Last edited:
I think there should be a balance... Making the test harder won't solve anything.... They should limit new riders to smaller bikes at least for the first 1-1.5 years

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I think there should be a balance... Making the test harder won't solve anything.... They should limit new riders to smaller bikes at least for the first 1-1.5 years

That's how it works in certain European countries i.e. Germany.

England, Australia and new zealand have similar rules for both cars and bikes

Frankee as I understand your post you have had your G for many years, and just now wrote the M1 test. If this is correct then one thing you should be aware of and they don't do a good job with the ministry of pointing it out. As you know one of the restrictions on the M1 is zero alcohol, (which it should rightfully be). But I was shocked when i was in the same situation as you that this restriction now ALSO applies to you when driving a G rated vehicle. The other conditions like not being out after dark don't apply JUST the zero alcohol.

It took me some digging and now I can't recall what reg it was but this is the case so now you can't have a beer and drive your car home after a dinner out with the wife... until you graduate your M licence. To me this is ridiculous, it should apply ONLY when on a bike.

Hi,

This is my first (or second) post to the forum, though I have been lurking for a few weeks, and I have been really impressed by the quality of the discussions, and I know I have already gleamed useful information from here that I would not have otherwise had.

I completed the M1 test this morning, and IMHO the test is far, far too simple, and leaves almost no barrier to entry to getting on the road. I would go so far as to say that I was almost embarrassed to answer most of the questions, and the fact that the MTO only required 16 questions to be answered correctly is nothing short of alarming.

If the G1 test is the same, it may (at least partly) explain why we have so many poor drivers on the road. The harder you have to work for something, the more you value and respect it. I understand that getting a full 'G' for young people is not a cake-walk (my vintage is from the days long before graduated licenses), but demonstrating a half-way respectable knowledge of the rules of the road seems an important prerequisite to someone that it going to take the task of driving seriously and responsibly ... just thought I would put that opinion out there.

Frank

Doesn't matter how easy the test is. It's the insurance companies that keep people off the road for the most part.
Canada is quick to pass people on their examinations. Its been like that for a long time

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Frankee as I understand your post you have had your G for many years, and just now wrote the M1 test. If this is correct then one thing you should be aware of and they don't do a good job with the ministry of pointing it out. As you know one of the restrictions on the M1 is zero alcohol, (which it should rightfully be). But I was shocked when i was in the same situation as you that this restriction now ALSO applies to you when driving a G rated vehicle. The other conditions like not being out after dark don't apply JUST the zero alcohol.

It took me some digging and now I can't recall what reg it was but this is the case so now you can't have a beer and drive your car home after a dinner out with the wife... until you graduate your M licence. To me this is ridiculous, it should apply ONLY when on a bike.

That's 100% incorrect. They are different licenses with different restrictions. One applies while driving an automobile and one applies while driving a motorcycle.

Hi Hedo2002,

So there's a zero limit now on driving a car too? Wow, it's a bit hard to see why that should be that way. I'll be driving the bike for a couple of months in the summer, not sure why that should effect my driving home in my car from the Christmas party. Thanks for giving me/us that heads up!

Frank

That would actually be a progressive solution/improvement to the system. Being limited to something like the Honda CB 500 series bikes at the upper limit to start would not be the end of the world. Seems crazy that you could write the test, and cash in hand conceivably put oneself onto a ZX-14 or 'Busa. Smaller cc bikes for a first bike and a good training course is a wise choice for starting out.

Hi Hedo2002,

So there's a zero limit now on driving a car too? Wow, it's a bit hard to see why that should be that way. I'll be driving the bike for a couple of months in the summer, not sure why that should effect my driving home in my car from the Christmas party. Thanks for giving me/us that heads up!

Frank

Please don't listen to that information, it's false.

Please don't listen to that information, it's false.

What I was told is that if you have any alcohol while on the bike then that would affect not only your M2; but all of your other licences as well. This is only while you are on the bike. The other licences do not have their restrictions changed as far as I know.

What I was told is that if you have any alcohol while on the bike then that would affect not only your M2; but all of your other licences as well. This is only while you are on the bike. The other licences do not have their restrictions changed as far as I know.

That is what I was also told.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Hi. Newbie here. I just took the M1 test today (passed) and while sitting there for 2+ hours waiting and waiting, I was shocked at how many people failed their test (all G1). I would say that it was more than 50% of the people who failed. There were even 2 people caught cheating and they were full grown adults. I just don't get it.

It was eye opening and explains a lot.

Hi Caius,

I could imagined that some newcomers may have trouble, because of the language, but that 50% are failing? I don't know what to think about that. Shocking ... no sad.

Some of the possible answers were almost comical, a monkey couldn't get them wrong. One of my favorites on the M1 portion was (something like this): What should a driver tell his passenger before starting off on a motorcycle (D) How to operate the pedal brake? :) Really, MTO thinks that someone taking this test would actually select this option? Bizarre.

In my opinion, I think the M1 written test is much simpler then either the Boat Operators license test, or the Non-restricted firearm license test, and I don't think that a car is any less dangerous then the other two.

This is just as a point of discussion, I don't mean to offend anyone, and my opinions aren't cast in stone.

Frank

it seems here the government just leaves it to the insurance companies...

Back
Top Bottom