M1 practice? How? | GTAMotorcycle.com

M1 practice? How?

Austinb

Sorry if this is a dumb question but how am I supposed to plate my bike and get experience while I wait for my 60 days on my m1 to be up? I've called state farm and a couple other insurance places and they all said I need an m2 to get insurance :/ I can't even get the bike plated without having insurance on it let alone going out and getting some riding time in? Any info is appreciated!

Sign up for a course, get your M2 through the course. Despite knowing the basics before the course, I still learned a lot of stuff I still use to this day.

A course is always a good idea. Especially if you are new and need practice. It's worth it, even if yo don't get an ins. discount.

Yea I'm going to take the course in a week or two, but when I finish the course am I able to call up and get insurance as an m2 driver or will I still need to wait my 60 days until I pick up my license from the ministry to be classified as an m2 holder? Thanks for the response

Yea I'm going to take the course in a week or two, but when I finish the course am I able to call up and get insurance as an m2 driver or will I still need to wait my 60 days until I pick up my license from the ministry to be classified as an m2 holder? Thanks for the response

Some motorcycle specific underwriters used to preemptively be willing to insure an M1 rider under M2 guidelines IF you could prove you had successfully completed the motorcycle safety course, even though you had to wait for the ~30 days to get the M2 on paper afterwards.

Not sure how many (if any) companies are doing this anymore - MC insurance has got a little more challenging again in the last year or two.

But it's worth calling around and asking. FWIW IIRC Riders Plus was one that had this policy...but they (at least for me) were not cheap.

Sorry if this is a dumb question but how am I supposed to plate my bike and get experience while I wait for my 60 days on my m1 to be up? I've called state farm and a couple other insurance places and they all said I need an m2 to get insurance :/ I can't even get the bike plated without having insurance on it let alone going out and getting some riding time in? Any info is appreciated!

This is one of the biggest flaws in our motorcycle licensing systems.

I would guess that less than 10% of people that get their M1 are able to ride anything before getting their M2 due to insurance. This is probably why there are so few people that go through Drive Test to get their license.
That being said, if you have 0 experience on motorcycles to begin with, a course is a great way to start.

It's just a matter of time (we're nearly there, for that matter) that MC training will be virtually mandatory before one can actually obtain insurance.

If only the same could be said for car drivers.

Yea kinda took me back when they said I need my m2 lol, cause I'll be done the safety course probably 30+ days before I can get my m2 lol.. I'm looking at mid August before I can pick my m2 up, doesn't leave much time to ride :(, but thanks for the reply! Much appreciated

The only way is to go through an M2 Safety Course and complete the M2 Exit with said course. Then obtain a certificate and show proof of completion. There are a few insurance companies that are willing to insure you while you still have your M1 and your rates will change once you officially graduate to an M2. Your best bet is to look into the providers said safety course offered in your completion package. For example, I did mine with RTI (Riders Training Institute) and they offered various different company' information for brokers willing to work with you to insure you bike while still having your M1.

Also... it helps to already have insurance on a vehicle and (maybe house) so that you can benefit from calling that provider and getting them to do the same.

There are some providers that will give you the insurance without the course but the cost is just ridiculous (5000+?) so you're better off paying the $500ish for the course and getting insurance right after not to mention the tips, tricks and everything else you learn at the course will help you with your riding so its really worth every penny.

It's no longer the norm to buy a bike first and then look for insurance.

It's no longer the norm to buy a bike first and then look for insurance.

Guess I should throw it out there that I'm not new to riding, just new to these licensing rules, everyone around me that rides stunts and I think 1 out of them is actually licensed lol, just wanna strip away another layer of stress while I'm out and about

I recently started to ride and had the same issue. Based on my experience, the only way to start riding with M1 is to do the safety course (and successfully complete the exit test) with an approved school and then work with an insurance broker. I did my course with Learning Curves and it helped with insurance a lot. Another thing, I hope you didn't buy a motorcycle yet. Better to check insurance first as it can be a big difference even for 300cc bikes..

Btw, even if you are not new to riding, I'm sure you will learn a lot during this course. I had a few experienced guys in my group who let their licenses expire.. and they were quite happy with the course

Last edited:
Guess I should throw it out there that I'm not new to riding, just new to these licensing rules, everyone around me that rides stunts and I think 1 out of them is actually licensed lol, just wanna strip away another layer of stress while I'm out and about

Another ‘dirty’ rider?

Some motorcycle specific underwriters used to preemptively be willing to insure an M1 rider under M2 guidelines IF you could prove you had successfully completed the motorcycle safety course, even though you had to wait for the ~30 days to get the M2 on paper afterwards.

This.

My step son, and my nephew were able to do this last summer.

Take advantage of the course; when I did my M license there was no such thing as a learner permit, you got a piece of paper that said you can ride from home to the test site on the day of the test. If you failed you needed a tow truck or an M licensed rider to recover your bike.
... we had to learn through osmosis.

Should be fine. I'm taking the RTI course at the end of the month. Done some quoting around and found a few that told me they are wiling to insure as long as I got the certificate before officially getting the M2 license. Rider Plus was one of the location I remember that said yes to this.

Another ‘dirty’ rider?

Can ya blame him in 2018 Ontario?

I'd never ride dirty, and would always suggest others dont either, but i wont judge if someone in this day and age does.

but i wont judge if someone in this day and age does.

Except for the fact that it's costing you more money on your insurance because of those who do.

But hey, victimless crime, right?

Except for the fact that it's costing you more money on your insurance because of those who do.

But hey, victimless crime, right?

Rates will go up regardless, because:

1) Riders with insurance crash too.

2) Greed

3) Ontario industry monopolies+political influence

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom